Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 08:49 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,579,826 times

Advertisements

I would have to question the mental state of anyone that thinks someone intent on mass killing is sane.

Last edited by MMS02760; 04-29-2019 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 08:51 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,369,796 times
Even the most insane people don’t go walking into a police precinct shooting cops. Clearly, they have some sense to avoid potential gun fire.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:55 AM

5,290 posts, read 6,228,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
None.

Criminals prey upon the weak and those who cannot defend themselves.

Gun free zones are magnets for massacres.

No one wants a shootout in school. But at least a shootout isn't a helpless slaughter.

No one is saying arm all teachers. The logical step is to arm staff members who are willing and comfortable to carry and put them through training. Maybe every school has 5-20 staff who may be armed at any time. It could be the lunch monitors, secretary, librarian, math teacher, principal, etc.. the point is it could be anyone.

It would be a significant deterrent.
I live in a right to carry state- people still commit multiple murders, commit robbery, and participate in any number of crimes. If I buy a chicken sandwich in SC it is with full knowledge that 2-3 people in the room are possibly carrying. Nut jobs and evil doers will remain nut jobs and evil doers...

Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,887,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I cannot imagine part of the prerequisite for landing a teaching job being target practice and/or SWAT training.
Neither can a relative of ours who is a math teacher.

He owns a safe filled with guns. He's at his gun range at least once, sometimes several times a month. He's all about gun rights, and I would bet good money he has a gun on him at all times.

He thinks arming teachers is a dumb idea.

First of all, it makes every teacher an immediate target.

Second, his job is to protect the kids in his classroom not be a one-man SWAT team taking out the shooter.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:01 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,402,176 times
SANE killer? What exactly is that?

Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,065,019 times
Sane killer --- what kind of sane person thinks that a killer walking into a school with a shot gun could be described as sane?

Old 04-29-2019, 09:05 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,896,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
If a would-be killer had fore-knowledge that a certain school employed armed teachers, he would have the sense to avoid that school because he'd never know which teachers were armed and would shoot him dead.

After all everyone knows that school shooters are afraid to die.
What sane person would enter a school with the intent to kill children? Armed teachers have little to do with sanity on the part of shooters.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:07 AM

2,904 posts, read 1,879,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I live in a right to carry state- people still commit multiple murders, commit robbery, and participate in any number of crimes. If I buy a chicken sandwich in SC it is with full knowledge that 2-3 people in the room are possibly carrying. Nut jobs and evil doers will remain nut jobs and evil doers...
I don't dispute a single thing your saying.

My contention is that (and I do have kids in school so I'm not just saying this without any skin in the game so to speak) is that if a nutcase decides to shoot up a school my kids go to, I darn well want multiple people there already on site who can shoot back to protect the kids and prevent a Newtown, Broward county etc..

It's been shown and proven many times, the best way to stop an active shooter is to engage that person as absolutely quickly as possible. Often times they will commit suicide, run off or with any luck will be shot themselves. Active shooters want free range to kill indiscriminately with no opposition.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:07 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,156,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Neither can a relative of ours who is a math teacher.

He owns a safe filled with guns. He's at his gun range at least once, sometimes several times a month. He's all about gun rights, and I would bet good money he has a gun on him at all times.

He thinks arming teachers is a dumb idea.

First of all, it makes every teacher an immediate target.

Second, his job is to protect the kids in his classroom not be a one-man SWAT team taking out the shooter.
I'm sure there are teachers that are qualified/trained to use a gun, but to assume that all teachers are or even willing to assume that role is the insane thing. It makes me laugh to even imagine some of the teachers I had way back when assuming the role of Rambo.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,785,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
And if someone has watched too many movies, and has convinced her/himself that it would be glorious to go out in a blaze of gunfire - well, they’re really not gonna care if more guns get involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies