Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

I'm not excusing all serial killers because they're 'insane', but from what I've read, seen on TV (interviews etc) and reports etc., it really does seem that almost all the well known serial killers have some screws loose. The thing is, is being a psychopath/sociopath always a 'mental disorder' or is there such thing as a sane person committing such acts of evil?

Ted Bundy is one who seemed pretty normal who seemed to just get a kick out of it. Richard Ramirez, the 'night stalker' seemed kind of deluded and driven by a frustration towards society, while say Jeffrey Dahmer seemed to have a severe fetish and a morbid fascination.

On second thoughts, I actually can't totally decide for myself...maybe some of them just come across as 'weird', but are pretty culpable for their actions.

I actually could conceive of somebody who was otherwise 'sane' who could be driven to kill for the sadistic thrill of it, although I think that's the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Insanity under law means that the person doe not know the difference between right and wrong. Its a defense to prosecution with is the defendences burden to prove.It does not mean a person has a personality disorder or mental problem.It;s difficult defense ebcause so often and mostly the case with serial killers the fact that they plan so carefully to get away with it means they are aware as defined by the law of the wrong as legally defined.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Insanity under law means that the person doe not know the difference between right and wrong. Its a defense to prosecution with is the defendences burden to prove.It does not mean a person has a personality disorder or mental problem.It;s difficult defense ebcause so often and mostly the case with serial killers the fact that they plan so carefully to get away with it means they are aware as defined by the law of the wrong as legally defined.
Well a cunning serial killer could play the fool.

Many serial killers admitted they knew what they did was wrong but through some compulsion (e.g. Dahmer) felt they were not in control of their actions.

Some, I guess, like JWG or Ivan Milat seem to just have an evil streak. As in the case with Ramirez again it's tempting to see them as the embodiment of evil.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:20 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The thing is, is being a psychopath/sociopath always a 'mental disorder' or is there such thing as a sane person committing such acts of evil?
-path = pathology - the suffix "path" denotes disease.

A socio/psychopath is a mental disorder and a person cannot be "sane" and commit pathological crimes.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:20 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
I've read some characteristics defining mental illnesses can be found in all of us. Particularly the more ego driven.

Psychopath/sociopaths are in control of their compulsion. For those that kill, they plan to target, when, where and how to carry out and hide their crime. Its all part of their gratification.

There are books written and psychiatrists who argue evil vs mental illness.

Psychiatry and what makes the mind tick is still in the baby stages.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
You can be psychologically evaluated "sane," but are you really? There has to be something more than psychological to determine these things. Evil for sure, but what is that? It's not really quantifiable or able to test. No DMS dx for no soul.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,345 times
Actually, I think so.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:48 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,857 times
I think plenty of serial killers are sane, in the socially-accepted sense of "sane."

Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well a cunning serial killer could play the fool.

Many serial killers admitted they knew what they did was wrong but through some compulsion (e.g. Dahmer) felt they were not in control of their actions.

Some, I guess, like JWG or Ivan Milat seem to just have an evil streak. As in the case with Ramirez again it's tempting to see them as the embodiment of evil.
They can try but that is not the question and that alone answers the question.isane which has to be rpooved by defense is defined under the law regardless. Evil is not insane and yes I beleive many evil people know perfecty well what they are doing and that by law its wrong. The sanity defense is a difficult one to prove.That is why its called a affirmative defense to prosecution in that it has to be proved by defense and not disproved by the prosectuion.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Most serial killers are very much sane, as the law defines it. Most serial killers kill, due to sexual issues which they fulfill, the same as you fulfill, their sexual issues. Difference is, you don't kill someone and they do. Does not mean they are insane.

ONE problem with people and society as a whole, they want to "label" things. And put people into a box, etc. You cannot do that. Especially when it comes to the criminal justice system. MANY serial killers are not psychopaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime