Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 05:34 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Never really thought about that, quick search says it's possible here in PA. I'd imagine any farmer can do it on their own but they suggest the organizers of the market would need to apply and get the EBT machine, they can then issue tokens to buy products.

https://agsci.psu.edu/wagn/topics/vi...farmers-market

It has been possible to use EBT (and get a discount, in many cases) at farmers markets for several years. If we want people to buy more healthy food, we should offer more carrots and fewer sticks.

We also need to take into account that a number of SNAP recipients do not have cooking facilities or even refrigeration. In those cases, being able to purchase easy to eat foods is essential. Additionally, a high proportion of SNAP recipients are working, perhaps more than one job, and may not have time & energy to do much cooking, especially if they have to use public transportation.

Finally, we need to remember that these are adults. They are going to have to tough it out if they SNAP benefits (70% of the food expense as calculated by the gov't) run out before the end of the month. Then that 30% that is the recipient's "skin in the game" will certainly have to take up the slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 05:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
How about some coupons for the local "farmers market"?

That's what's allowed here in NY. Corn on the cob is especially popular. And they get twice what they "spend" at the farmers' markets, to spend elsewhere, as a bonus.

If this is a regional thing, it shouldn't be--because the USDA pays for the special equipment needed to process SNAP purchases at these markets.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
It makes great sense to buy real food and not processed food and sugary drinks. There is nothing wrong with cooking a healthy meal for your family, whatever your income level. Reminds me of the time I saw a SIL pour a soda in her baby’s bottle. I was shocked, but didn’t say anything. Bad eating and drinking habits can lead to bad health/teeth and we get hit with the bill. People who have others pick up their grocery tab need to buy real food, not alcohol, chips, pepsi, or lottery tickets.
There is a dental phenomenon throughout Appalachia and beyond, called "Dew Mouth". It may begin in infanthood.

The effects of soda on teeth are strikingly similar to the effects of methamphetamine or crack.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That's what's allowed here in NY. Corn on the cob is especially popular. And they get twice what they "spend" at the farmers' markets, to spend elsewhere, as a bonus.

If this is a regional thing, it shouldn't be--because the USDA pays for the special equipment needed to process SNAP purchases at these markets.

If I recall correctly, it's federal. Which I think is a very good thing for all concerned.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:45 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
So what you are saying is fraud is rampant.
yep,
Poor people watch the news.We live in a society where we actually believe rich people, as a rule are always smarter than poor people. Poor people saw the savings and loans collapse, Enron, sub-prime housing loans, Purdue Pharma, and Senator Grassley said today he takes advantage of every government farm handout available. Booker T Washington said "let down your buckets were you are," so that's where they are, trading steaks for cash.

I read in Appalachia there is a scam where a person spends all their SNAP benefits on cases of pop at one Quick Trip and takes it to another one and sells it.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 05-08-2019 at 05:59 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 05:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
It has been possible to use EBT (and get a discount, in many cases) at farmers markets for several years. If we want people to buy more healthy food, we should offer more carrots and fewer sticks.

We also need to take into account that a number of SNAP recipients do not have cooking facilities or even refrigeration. In those cases, being able to purchase easy to eat foods is essential. Additionally, a high proportion of SNAP recipients are working, perhaps more than one job, and may not have time & energy to do much cooking, especially if they have to use public transportation.

Finally, we need to remember that these are adults. They are going to have to tough it out if they SNAP benefits (70% of the food expense as calculated by the gov't) run out before the end of the month. Then that 30% that is the recipient's "skin in the game" will certainly have to take up the slack.
Some neighborhoods/communities have a higher percentage of SNAP beneficiaries than others.

Farmers Markets are not in all neighborhoods/communities.

There are food deserts in most cities, in all states. The gas station and 7/11 are often the only sources of food in some areas.

Grocers tend to congregate in areas with other grocers. Within 10 minutes of my home (non-highway driving), I have easy access to at least 25 stores selling groceries, not including gas stations and 7/11 type of convenience stores. Competition is brutal. The consumer is the beneficiary.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:06 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I would love to see "double" dollars on Farmer's Market items..... it would help our farmers during this time and encourage super healthy foods
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some neighborhoods/communities have a higher percentage of SNAP beneficiaries than others.

Farmers Markets are not in all neighborhoods/communities.

There are food deserts in most cities, in all states. The gas station and 7/11 are often the only sources of food in some areas.

Grocers tend to congregate in areas with other grocers. Within 10 minutes of my home (non-highway driving), I have easy access to at least 25 stores selling groceries, not including gas stations and 7/11 type of convenience stores. Competition is brutal. The consumer is the beneficiary.

Yup. I've lived in food deserts. As a person who likes to cook, it was difficult to tolerate. We don't have a great variety of places to shop here (small town), but we're hoping to encourage more food retailers to put a store nearby.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
They should ban that disease causing Texas cattle (beef and the like) also!

Old 05-08-2019, 07:15 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Great news! Hopefully this will cut down on long-term costs associated with Medicaid too. If you want freebies, better start eating healthier. Since these individuals will be eating better and as a result feeling better, maybe it will give them extra motivation to make something of themselves. Eh well, probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies