Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:54 PM

408 posts, read 696,158 times

Advertisements

Hmm..interesting. Does anyone know whether or not if doctors have tried the method that M.Bee just described?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:54 PM

27 posts, read 49,961 times
Those of us who have had it would disagree with you. And since we know more than you, because you are the mouthpiece of the stuff you don't know anything about crowd...we win.

Thx for playing, please come again.

EDIT: Yes but not with everyone. Giving testosterone was tried in M2F patients, they killed themselves. Medicines did nothing unless there was some other wonky reason for the gender identity problem.

Try Lynn Conway's homepage if you want to see some explanations and examples of highly successful people who have transitioned.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:58 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
People with Body Dysmorphic Disorder have had a 53% success rate with medication alone, combined with therapy they have a much higher success rate in dealing with their illness. Since gender identity disorder is closely related to BDD I'm assuming it would have a similar success rate. BTW, both of these disorders are also closely related to OCD. Seriously.
What does it have to do with body dysmorphic disorder? What experience do you have to support the rock solid knowledge you seem to have in this area?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
People with Body Dysmorphic Disorder have had a 53% success rate with medication alone, combined with therapy they have a much higher success rate in dealing with their illness. Since gender identity disorder is closely related to BDD I'm assuming it would have a similar success rate. BTW, both of these disorders are also closely related to OCD. Seriously.
But if someone has BDD, their life is negatively affected by the disorder and they're unhappy. If somone feels their body is the wrong sex and they change it, they're happy, feel better about themselves, and lead a normal life. Your comparison is just silly.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Please discuss the topic and not the posters. You have all been warned previously.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
But if someone has BDD, their life is negatively affected by the disorder and they're unhappy. If somone feels their body is the wrong sex and they change it, they're happy, feel better about themselves, and lead a normal life. Your comparison is just silly.
This is exactly my point, someone with BDD is unhappy. Yet, if their focus of unhappiness is their nose, no one would recommend that they cut it off.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Everyone has a nose,

Not everyone is male or female.

I cannot speak to anyone but myself but I am not mentally ill, I am a A grad student in college on scholarship and pretty happy. You again are making assumptions about something you dont know about, period.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:14 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
This is exactly my point, someone with BDD is unhappy. Yet, if their focus of unhappiness is their nose, no one would recommend that they cut it off.
Because cutting off their nose wouldn't actually make them happy. Changing to your appropriate gender does. Seriously, what's your beef with transgendered people? How does it affect you? If someone's happier changing their body to what they feel inside, I'm glad modern medicine can assist.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,764 times
To get back on topic...

I know a guy at work who is currently transitioning to female, he is actually pretty accepted around work, infact I would say he is more accepted than if he was openly gay. Go figure. He has a really dark sense of humor which I like. I have heard people crack jokes at his expense when he is not around, but I have never heard anyone with open malice on their mind, it's more of a childish type of humor they have. He has been doing the hormone therapy and currently has breasts, I am not too familiar with what stage he is at because I have never brought it up (don't know how). He seems to be a little depressed, but overall mentally sound. I could also chalk the depression up to the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
I am a transsexual. Closeted, 26 M2f, my friends don't know, etc.
How are you gonna tell everyone ?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:17 PM

Why would I tell? I'm done with everything, aka already transitioned.

I've worked at a company where someone else was transitioning and had people snicker to me, Oh so and so is changing their sex, giggle giggle giggle...

Me: O really, do tell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies