Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 04:06 AM

5,804 posts, read 5,133,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Please. No matter what you pay for a Chinese product it is less.

Ok 1 more try.
You can buy a Sears riding lawn mower for 999.00 or you can by a Simplicity ( same size deck and engine) for $3000. That Simplicity will be running 10+ years with few issues. That craftsman you throw away after 5 if you are lucky and by then you've gone crazy fixing crap. That is how it is with Chinese goods. They are throw away items. Cheaper up front but long term, more expensive.

But hey you buy what you like. For the record no one makes a better full sized truck than the big 3. China doesn't make a car that anyone wants to buy even in SE Asia where money is really tight. Ford Ranger is the king of Trucks here followed closely by Toyota.

MG which is Chinese owned now are around, but in low numbers. This is surprising given how cheap they are compared to comparable cars of other makes. Even Suzuki is more popular.

Buy what you like. Me I always buy quality. I bought my Kubota tractor in 2007 and my son just now changed the battery for the first time. The Chinese made tractors? Keep them.
My craftsman mower is going on 12 years now and I have not once tune it or change its engine oil......it’s made in china. The red paint color is peeling but it’s still going strong. I’ve only changed the blade once. Very happy with it and so does my grass in my yard. I’ll buy another one once this one goes.

I drive a Volvo xc90 which is Swedish but owned by a chinese company. Love the car....will also get another one when the time comes.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:00 PM

Default Basically, the trump tariffs on Chinese goods.../

Are simply a form of tax that the American government has imposed on the American people who are the consumers. The manufacturing jobs will never ever return to the us,........that’s a guarantee.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 PM

29,883 posts, read 25,019,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Are simply a form of tax that the American government has imposed on the American people who are the consumers. The manufacturing jobs will never ever return to the us,........that’s a guarantee.

Trump = 7x more manufacturing job creation, last I heard. If true, thread fail.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,940,315 times
so i guess all the new manufacturing jobs that have been created since 2017 are just an illusion then?

and by the way anyone that doesnt know that a tariff is a tax is an idiot.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so i guess all the new manufacturing jobs that have been created since 2017 are just an illusion then?

and by the way anyone that doesnt know that a tariff is a tax is an idiot.
Yeah except the trumpites think it’s a tax on china! No, it’s a tax on American consumers, Stupid!

Old 05-17-2019, 03:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,940,315 times
Quote:
Yeah except the trumpites think it’s a tax on china! No, it’s a tax on American consumers, Stupid!

so you think that i think a tariff is a tax on china? honey i knew back in 1968 while i was still in elementary school that a tariff, in fact ALL taxes are paid by the consumer in the end. and that was long before i ever heard of trump, or supported him for president.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:09 AM

30,705 posts, read 19,387,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Trump = 7x more manufacturing job creation, last I heard. If true, thread fail.
Yep, it's a thread fail as the premise stated is proven demonstrably wrong. All Democrats should be happy that Americans are paying more taxes through these tariffs which will lower the deficit (makes me happy).

I still get a kick out of TDS rearing its ugly head with displays of stupidity by Trump haters.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:08 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,807,731 times
A deficit as such is not a problem, after all people pay for the imported stuff they buy.

In this current case the tariffs are unfounded. For instance the argument of forced transfer of know-how is obsolete as, after years in the making, the Chinese have a new IP law now that forbids that practice.

I think the tariffs are just a desperate means of trying to keep China from becoming a leader. Like with Huawei now. Why stop supplying technology to a paying customer like Huawei? Because Huawei leads in 5G, which is considered a major factor with next gen industry. National security is just a pretext as none of the claims (which have been around for many years) have ever been proven, to the contrary. If the US thought Huawei is unsafe, why not just ban the usage of Huawei in the US? Why try to destroy the company whose products most other countries find safe?

Basically, the ban will achieve the opposite effect in the long run. Huawei will source the components elsewhere or simply develop their own stuff as they have already done with CPU's and communication processors. So, in the long run the Chinese will import even less tech stuff from the US, and limit themselves to importing more basic things like soy, the supplier of which they can switch at any moment. China is already expanding its own soy production by 10% annually.

And when a giant market like China imports fewer US products, others will gladly fill the gap. Taiwan for instance, or Europe.

Not to mention that China could also start to use the national security pretext in order to ban US products like MS Windows (which is said to have backdoors for US spying organizations), thus boosting its own software industry and creating alternative OS's and platforms, which even other countries might switch to.

In short, while the US labor market benefits in the short term, the US will lose out in the long run as they lose access to the bigger Chinese market. Or US companies have to open factories in China, Tesla is already building a huge factory in Shanghai, that will employ Chinese workers. Others will follow.

PS: Just read that VW is also building two electric car factories in China.

Last edited by Neuling; 05-17-2019 at 04:28 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 04:48 AM

30,284 posts, read 11,928,829 times
Quote:

Playing the devil's advocate here and not being a trumper or hyper anti trumper, Trump wants to pressure the Chinese into lowering tariffs on US goods not throw permanent tariffs on Chinese goods.

That should be the debate not just stating the obvious that tariffs raise prices and name calling. Its not a tax on China but it does effect their ability to sell items in America.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:56 AM

40,992 posts, read 49,359,544 times
Quote:
Actually it's a great way to hurt their economy and force many of those jobs out of their country.
Some will go to places like Vietnam or Central America (that will help us here) and some will even come back to the US.

How do you purpose to get China to stop stealing our trade secrets, property theft and to play fair in the world ?
They have huge tariffs on our products going in but we can't coming out ?

They are the biggest threat to us in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies