Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,990,492 times

Advertisements

Lol...Most Americans don’t know dik about tariffs, and blissfully live their lives not giving two shats about them until.... someone tells them to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 12:40 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,451,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
What is your evidence that China uses child labor?
There is no doubt that it happens occasionally, as in all ("developing") countries, but how do you know it is common? China has the well-known one-child policy, and do you really think the tiger moms send their only child to work at 14? I know they are flooding in US universities though.

The minimum wages in China are set by law and publicized, and they match the level of economic development of China.
China made it very clearly that they trade their market with foreign technology, from the very beginning. Foreign companies all know it and do it at will. Otherwise why would China let them in?

If the manufacturing jobs do not go to China, they may go to India, Mexico, Vietnam... Have you notice that your clothes and shoes are made in these countries now? The companies won't make it back to the US.
They went to China first because china had the proper infrastructure, stability, and workforce. Not Mexico or anywhere else.

Now China makes other cheap goods like Iphones and TVs for the masses here to consume. That is destroying our country.

We lose our sense of community and identity for material wealth. And it gives corporations power over our lives.

China does not need our heart and soul, nor does it need to exploit cheap labor to turn its country to a copy of everywhere else.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Lol...Most Americans don’t know dik about tariffs, and blissfully live their lives not giving two shats about them until.... someone tells them to.
Once you tell someone prices for their iphone or cloths will go up, they hate it.

Material has become our source of identity.

In Japan or France, if for the nation people were asked to accept less material goods, they would gladly do it because they feel like they are part of a country.

Americans don't, we just feel for whatever gives us cheaper and better goods.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:46 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,130,709 times
Quote:
What is your evidence that China uses child labor?
You missed "Hypothetical situation"... It was intended to address the question; "Delivering low cost products to American people is necessarily a bad thing?". This doesn't necessarily mean China specifically but any trade partner.

But since you asked... specifically China's abuses of labor is pretty well known; you'd be disingenuous to claim you didn't know that:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...labour-migrant

There are many reports coming out of China regarding....

I don't know of any other US manufacturer with the suicide rate of Foxconn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

Then there's the whole Huawei situation which unless you've been living under a rock in the tech world, should have heard:

https://www.secureworldexpo.com/indu...ctual-property

There's also a reason why Amazon has had difficulties doing business in China; Alibaba a direct competitor... which is well known for selling knockoffs and counterfeits.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...rket/96633850/

Then there is the fact that it is easy for a Chinese nationalist to purchase assets in the US but near impossible for a US citizen to own direct assets in mainland China. They routinely refuse US based business competition on their soil to protect a competing Chinese based product/good/service.

WTO is suppose to include countries with a certain level of labor rights.... Certain people in government pressed for China's acceptance into the WTO knowing very well that it would be extremely profitable to have access to cheap labor; irregardless of how they treated laborers. We are so addicted to cheap labor and goods that even the slightest hint of a tariff brings on a lot of discontent.

I am not a Trump supporter.... I disagree with much of what he does... but this... I feel it is a long time coming.

Last edited by usayit; 05-20-2019 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-20-2019, 01:01 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,773,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You missed "Hypothetical situation"... It was intended to address the question; "Delivering low cost products to American people is necessarily a bad thing?". This doesn't necessarily mean China specifically but any trade partner.

But since you asked... specifically China's abuses of labor is pretty well known; you'd be disingenuous to claim you didn't know that:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...labour-migrant

There are many reports coming out of China regarding....

I don't know of any other US manufacturer with the suicide rate of Foxconn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

Then there is the fact that it is easy for a Chinese nationalist to purchase assets in the US but near impossible for a US citizen to own direct assets in mainland China. They routinely refuse US based business competition on their soil to protect a competing Chinese based product/good/service.

WTO is suppose to include countries with a certain level of labor rights.... Certain people in government pressed for China's acceptance into the WTO knowing very well that it would be extremely profitable to have access to cheap labor; irregardless of how they treated laborers. We are so addicted to cheap labor and goods that even the slightest hint of a tariff brings on a lot of discontent.

I am not a Trump supporter.... I disagree with much of what he does... but this... I feel it is a long time coming.
"Developing" countries all have relatively bad work conditions. Have you compared China with other developing countries such as India, Pakistan, Mexico, and Egypt?
Do you seriously want China to have the same conditions as the US or Norway?

Foxconn (a Taiwanese company mainly producing US brands) was notorious in China, and even China government intervened. Now the suicides are gone.
The worst worker rights violations were actually made by foreign companies in China (including Taiwanese and Korean companies).

Old 05-20-2019, 01:13 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,130,709 times
Quote:
"Developing" countries all have relatively bad work conditions. Have you compared China with other developing countries such as India, Pakistan, Mexico, and Egypt?
I would object to those as well....

You don't seem to understand the question I am answering:

"Delivering low cost products to American people is necessarily a bad thing?"

Yes... it is a bad thing....

Labor conditions often reflect the cost of labor. If similar level of labor standards are not maintained, it isn't competition. We either don't compete or reduce/abuse our own laborers; obviously the later isn't going to happen... so we simply aren't competitive.

Let's also not ignore that other bad trade behavior from China including stealing of intellectual property and turning a blind eye on counterfeits.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Foxconn (a Taiwanese company mainly producing US brands) was notorious in China, and even China government intervened. Now the suicides are gone.
The worst worker rights violations were actually made by foreign companies in China (including Taiwanese and Korean companies).
Foreign companies come to China to sell their products back to Consumers in America and elsewhere.

China's development has come from American consumers, who in consequence have become mindless consumers without any sense of national identity.

That has been a bad thing for us and everyone.

Having a smaller economy while keeping community in mind is better than being wealthy and destroying your identity and meaning in life.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I would object to those as well....

You don't seem to understand the question I am answering:

"Delivering low cost products to American people is necessarily a bad thing?"

Yes... it is a bad thing....

Labor conditions often reflect the cost of labor. If similar level of labor standards are not maintained, it isn't competition. We either don't compete or reduce/abuse our own laborers; obviously the later isn't going to happen... so we simply aren't competitive.
I also don't think its great for those other countries either.

Regardless, if we had less goods that were more expensive, I would be fine if we could keep our sense of community and purpose.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,918,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
No.

Many Americans have nothing in the stock market, and those who do leave their well being in the hands of corporate wealth.

Obama raised the stock market by protecting wall street and passing neo-liberal economic reforms.

Free markets have nothing to do with freedom. Is AT&T a symbol of freedom, is Amazon?

Freedom comes from people having control over their own lives and having a sense of belonging. Free Markets make goods cheaper and people more materialistic, but that is not freedom. They also organize the workforce to move the population around to where there are jobs. People don't have communities anymore, and they only care about themselves.

Is this the type of country you want to live in? There is a reason depression and suicide are up.

In countries with an identity and communities, people with history who work together, folks feel like they are part of something bigger.

Libertarian economists want to convince people like you that beauty, culture, belonging, and community don't matter, only your material well being.

So buy less if goods are too expensive, we shouldn't have to destroy our local jobs and families for money.
I want to decide what matters for myself. Not what you and your kind decide. What I want for myself is not to watch my wife who suffered severe brain damage after a stroke stopped her heart two years ago cry when I go to work every day. I want to retire and take care of my family. What community I live in matters little.

With material well being I can care for my spouse. That is who I made a sacred vow to take care of. I want no part of your forced community.

Thanks to your tariffs many of us will work another couple years or more in the corporate world.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:52 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,990,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Once you tell someone prices for their iphone or cloths will go up, they hate it.

Material has become our source of identity.

In Japan or France, if for the nation people were asked to accept less material goods, they would gladly do it because they feel like they are part of a country.

Americans don't, we just feel for whatever gives us cheaper and better goods.
They’ll b***** but, they’ll still throw down for it anyway. As you yourself said... Material has become a source of identity. Even people who don’t otherwise have two sticks to rub together will still pony up for the latest gadget that’s trending. Pretty sure those dang “tariffs” aren’t even taken into consideration. They’re PO’ed at Apple and the manufacturers, because most haven’t a clue as to what happens before their new 64 gig smart phone hit the Apple store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies