Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 07:25 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times

Advertisements

Not understanding what someone said or not knowing an acronym are not signs of fitness for a job.
I have been involved in the accounting profession for over 30 years, I have passed the CPA exam, have a Masters in Taxation, deal with CPAs every work day, test and design accounting software but a few years back someone asked me if our software had KPIs. I had no clue what he meant. I asked another younger CPA in the office who did not know.
Apparently it meant key performance indicators. Had I been asked if we do financial ratios, or do we calculate the current ratio I would have known.
The point is my not knowing what the person who asked felt was a common term did not mean I did not understand the pertinent subject matter.

Some times these things are missed kind of like when you discover tricks in excel that many already know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 07:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Not understanding what someone said or not knowing an acronym are not signs of fitness for a job.
I have been involved in the accounting profession for over 30 years, I have passed the CPA exam, have a Masters in Taxation, deal with CPAs every work day, test and design accounting software but a few years back someone asked me if our software had KPIs. I had no clue what he meant. I asked another younger CPA in the office who did not know.
Apparently it meant key performance indicators. Had I been asked if we do financial ratios, or do we calculate the current ratio I would have known.
The point is my not knowing what the person who asked felt was a common term did not mean I did not understand the pertinent subject matter.
I respect that new or rarely used acronyms might throw somebody for a loop. KPI isn't an accounting acronym necessarily. It is used in business plans but it isn't something that is specific to just financials.

But in the HUD business -- REO is a BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG deal.

AND - -at these briefings, you would anticipate Carson to research potential areas of interest.

This wasn't like it was some obscure acronym -- it is very common in the real estate field.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:32 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVWy3q2kmNM

This man doesn't know anything about Real Estate so it is beyond pathetic that he is head of one of the largest Cabinet agencies in the country.
If he worked anywhere else he would of been fired for not knowing his job.

So, if she meant foreclosures......

Why didn't she just say foreclosures?

Old 05-23-2019, 07:33 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
chuckle.

only liberals can take a freaking brain surgeon and feel justified in calling him an idiot.

dear everyone else on the fence. look at the left and what they do. its ugly. its mean. its bigoted.
libs couldn't even defeat Donald Trump so they're primarily a low IQ crowd to begin with.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:02 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
maybe Carson is just doing what he is supposed to do there and what you are frustrated over is his refusal to be a progressive in a department that has historically been progressive even under other republican presidents.
So what is he doing? If he only had to sit and read department memos he would have read about REOs, one would assume that if he didn't know what it was he would have found out by now, but he hasn't. When asked what REO stood for he said "real estate E organization".

If it were some minor detail thing it would be different, but real estate is not a minor part of HUD.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:52 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Well AOC didn't know what a garbage disposal was, so what's the big deal? Hillary thought wiping a computer was done with a cloth. Obama thought there was 57 states.

Brilliant!
I love that one. Anyone quoting that demonstrably didn't hear the exchange and are just parroting a talking point handed off to them by their betters.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So, if she meant foreclosures......

Why didn't she just say foreclosures?
Oh, it was a clever trap? She failed to dumb things down sufficiently? Mr. Brain-Surgeon can't be expected to know the common terms used in his area of responsibility?

Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
only liberals can take a freaking brain surgeon and feel justified in calling him an idiot.
Idiot? No. Incompetent in his current role? The evidence points to "Yes".

He's a very fine brain surgeon, it's increasingly obvious he's out of his depth pretty much anywhere else. Pyramids for grain storage? That may fly for the congregation in whatever weird church he attends, but it's not a something an intelligent person airs in public.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:22 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Even the suggestion that Ben Carson (a pediatric neurosurgeon) is an idiot is beyond comprehension. Being a neurosurgeon, this man is dripping with IQ points and mental discipline. The general public has no idea, but neurosurgeons are the kings on the chess board of medicine.

I am sure that Carson is more than capable in his role.
You quoted my original post so please tell me where I called him a idiot because I did not make any accusation that he was.
I said he was incompetent to hold the office of Secretary of HUD and wasn't knowledgeable in real estate matters to be competent in his position.

Let's flip the equation :

Next time you need brain surgery why don't you let a Realtor operate on you instead?

Capiche?

Old 05-23-2019, 09:35 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So what is he doing? If he only had to sit and read department memos he would have read about REOs, one would assume that if he didn't know what it was he would have found out by now, but he hasn't. When asked what REO stood for he said "real estate E organization".

If it were some minor detail thing it would be different, but real estate is not a minor part of HUD.
It's almost comical how some people defend him but ignore the fact that he isn't qualified to be the Sec. of HUD which deals in thousands of REO transactions everyday across the country.

It's like being the head of a Wall Street investment firm and asking What is a stock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies