Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 01:37 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times

Advertisements

I have voted straight Republican for over a quarter of a century. I disagree with Democrats on everything but I am so passionately against a war with Iran that I would vote Democrat If (and it's a big IF) the Democrat candidate and Democrats come out strongly against the war. I think it's unlikely because the neolib faction is very powerful and they would be all for an Iranian war. But if they are anti-war they could win me over this time.

I am against a war with Iran for different reasons than you normally hear. I passionately hate the country of Saudi Arabia and don't want us to go to war on their behalf. I do not want us to help Saudi by going to war against their mortal enemy Iran. I am not a fan of the Iranian government but they have not been spreading their brand of Islam the way the Saudis do with Wahhabism. I firmly believe Saudi was associated with 9-11. I recall 15 of the 19 911 terrorists were from Saudi and none were from Iran (or Iraq which is why I was against the Iraq war from the start). In the age old war of Shias vs Sunnis I do take a side...I like Shias better, they are less extreme and less likely to engage in terrorism.

Another reason I am against an Iranian war is I have a positive impression of the Iranian people and I don't want us to hurt them. Remember the Arab Spring? Basically all the Muslim countries such as Egypt, Tunisia, Libya wanted a more extreme version of Islam than they had. The Iranians were the only ones who were protesting to become more secular and more Western. That made a big impression on me. Some could argue that this is a reason to support a Iran war because a more secular government could emerge. I am skeptical because I have never seen it work out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 01:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
You had better hope for Sanders or Gabbard. I'm not sure I would trust any of the rest to not get us into these kinds of stupid situations either.

Obama was against it also.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
I don't really think Trump wants war but will he be able to stand up to Bolton and Pompeo? They are both dying to go to war with Iran and Bolton still thinks the Iraq war was A GREAT IDEA. Also, Trump's Saudi pals are whispering in his ear to go to war with Iran. Netanyahoo as well.

George W. was weak and he allowed Chaney/Rumsfeld to goad him into Iraq.

I do hope Trump doesn't make the same mistake.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:53 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
I don’t see how the buffoons surrounding Trump (Bolton, Pompeo, AIPAC, etc.) will be able to credibly spin another bout of military adventurism as ‘defensive’ and therefore I think the current climate in America is such that the more they try to start one, the more it will erode Trump’s chances for reelection.

Trump is the one who picked neocons as his advisors; so much for the "anti-establishment" shtick. Or was Bolton entirely Pence's choosing?

Old 05-25-2019, 02:02 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
No one wants yet another war in the Middle East including Trump. I do believe that the Dems would be all for a war if it would hurt Trump in his reelection bid.

I was listening to NPR the other day and the talking heads were going on about how bad Trump is for chancing a war and sending more troops in but in the show before they were critical of him for wanting to pull troops out of the ME.

Trump can't do anything right in the eyes of the Left.

I would like to see our troops pulled out of the M.E. ASAP. Part of Trump's appeal was that he wanted to end the wars, end the occupation of those dangerous countries but that is easier said than done.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:03 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't really think Trump wants war but will he be able to stand up to Bolton and Pompeo? They are both dying to go to war with Iran and Bolton still thinks the Iraq war was A GREAT IDEA. Also, Trump's Saudi pals are whispering in his ear to go to war with Iran. Netanyahoo as well.

We're still in Afghanistan wasting our $$$ and supporting the Saudis in a war in Yemen that's simply not any of our business. Give me a candidate who'll change that as well as keep us out of Iran.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
No one wants yet another war in the Middle East including Trump. I do believe that the Dems would be all for a war if it would hurt Trump in his reelection bid.

I was listening to NPR the other day and the talking heads were going on about how bad Trump is for chancing a war and sending more troops in but in the show before they were critical of him for wanting to pull troops out of the ME.

Trump can't do anything right in the eyes of the Left.

I would like to see our troops pulled out of the M.E. ASAP. Part of Trump's appeal was that he wanted to end the wars, end the occupation of those dangerous countries but that is easier said than done.
Not really. You just have to do it. Excuses are easy.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:06 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Whether Trump wants war depends on the day and some times the time of day. I don't think Pompeo or Bolton can goad Trump into War. They may able to appeal to Trump's ego and vanity. The only way to be a great president, they will tell him, is to be war president. He will be the greatest war leader in the history of the world, they will say. All of which Trump will believe of course.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:21 PM

623 posts, read 234,129 times
I don't trust ANY democrat other than Gabbard to truly be against it and coincidentally she is the ONLY democrat I could see myself voting for. It won't happen since she won't be the nominee EVERY other democrat is being given a ton of air time and radio time but not Gabbard because of her foreign policy reasons.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:26 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Whether Trump wants war depends on the day and some times the time of day. I don't think Pompeo or Bolton can goad Trump into War. They may able to appeal to Trump's ego and vanity. The only way to be a great president, they will tell him, is to be war president. He will be the greatest war leader in the history of the world, they will say. All of which Trump will believe of course.
You are a Trump hater. Every one of your post here is to bash him. You wouldn't know Trump if he hit you in the face.

Trump is a Capitalist, with a capital C. He measures success in terms of money. You don't make money when you fight a war. Therefore, Trump would never choose war. He loves this country and he wants this country to be rich and if you haven't figured that out yet, you never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies