Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 01:13 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,381,719 times

Advertisements

Well, actually, no, there is not yet a "Great 2020 Census Debate", but I am wondering if there will be one, and if so, what are your thoughts about the proposed changes and/or the census in general.

Before you give your opinion, if you are not already informed, I invite you to read (or at least skim) both of the following links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_Census

From the above Wikipedia link: "The Commerce Department announced in March 2018 that the 2020 Census will ask respondents if they are United States citizens in agreement with a request from the Trump administration. 11 states (Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington, California) have stated they would sue to block the Trump administration's requested question."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...enship/566384/

From the above Atlantic link: "The citizenship question is only the start of the Census Bureau’s issues. It has faced constant budget reductions and shortfalls, hasn’t been able to field the kind of end-to-end testing this year that it needs to, has missed its marks on some quality-control processes, and has been embroiled in smaller controversies over a rumored proposal to ban noncitizens from working as census-takers."

So what opinion(s) do you have about the 2020 census?

P.S. The official day of the census is schedule to be April 1,2020. (That's only about 15 months away.)

Old 01-03-2019, 09:07 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, actually, no, there is not yet a "Great 2020 Census Debate", but I am wondering if there will be one, and if so, what are your thoughts about the proposed changes and/or the census in general.

Before you give your opinion, if you are not already informed, I invite you to read (or at least skim) both of the following links.

From the above Wikipedia link: "The Commerce Department announced in March 2018 that the 2020 Census will ask respondents if they are United States citizens in agreement with a request from the Trump administration. 11 states (Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington, California) have stated they would sue to block the Trump administration's requested question."

From the above Atlantic link: "The citizenship question is only the start of the Census Bureau’s issues. It has faced constant budget reductions and shortfalls, hasn’t been able to field the kind of end-to-end testing this year that it needs to, has missed its marks on some quality-control processes, and has been embroiled in smaller controversies over a rumored proposal to ban noncitizens from working as census-takers."

P.S. The official day of the census is schedule to be April 1,2020. (That's only about 15 months away.)
I'm guessing the people who claim to be Vietnam veterans will increase...……...

Old 01-03-2019, 09:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
I am still wondering why there is any concern about asking if someone is a US citizen.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:03 AM

3,861 posts, read 2,230,919 times
Quote:
They should take "hispanic" off the census and all government forms. Let them choose from the normal racial categories.

This would actually eliminate UnidosUS(La Raza) and all the other hispanic organizations because they would lose all their "hispanic" funding.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Would love to see no questions regarding race nor culture. Age, sex (male or female), and status (citizen, legal resident non-citizen, in transition to becoming a legal resident/citizen, or merely illegal alien or refugee.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:11 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:

Oh for goodness sake. We can't ask someone if they are a U.S. citizen. That's so immoral

Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,705,266 times
I don't see a problem with asking if someone is a citizen. Just because you aren't a citizen doesn't mean you are doing something wrong. It's no different than when you go to a state park and they ask if you are a resident of the state.

Aside from that, when I think of it, I've never gotten a census questionnaire. Ever. It always seems like in census years I am in the middle of moving (both 2010 and 2000), was in college, or I was a kid.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:20 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,797,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am still wondering why there is any concern about asking if someone is a US citizen.
The concern isn't the question as much as not knowing what the effect of adding the question will be. There is a certain known amount of non response to the census so estimates can be made on who did not respond. However any changes to the form can affect the response rate so before any question is added, removed, or even reworded, tests should be conducted to see what the effect of the change will be. Also it is important for the questionnaire to be the same so that trends can be maintained so it is usually very hard to make changes to questions even if that means that outdated terms are still used.

I don't have an issue with the question as long as it is added in a responsible manner and in the terms of government surveys adding it in less than 2 years before implementation of the census is not responsible. I had a friend that worked on the drug survey and she worked on the questionnaire redesign for YEARS without changes being implemented because there was concerns on maintaining trends for a survey conducted every year. If this was a question that the government really thinks needs to be added back then they would have started testing it soon after the 2010 or if the need wasn't realized until March 2018 they would know that 2030 is the soonest it should be added.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I don't see a problem with asking if someone is a citizen. Just because you aren't a citizen doesn't mean you are doing something wrong. It's no different than when you go to a state park and they ask if you are a resident of the state.

Aside from that, when I think of it, I've never gotten a census questionnaire. Ever. It always seems like in census years I am in the middle of moving (both 2010 and 2000), was in college, or I was a kid.
I, on the other hand, was "randomly" selected to complete the long form for the 1990 census and the 2000 census. I considered the extensive questions to be invasive and didn't complete the forms. in 2000 this brought many census takers to my door, one of whom was extremely rude. I repeatedly said that I would be happy to complete the short form, but not the long form. It seemed odd to me that I would get the long form for two successive census periods. Frankly, I didn't trust the confidentiality of the census then, and I am even more wary now.

For the 2000 census, the long form asked about the same subjects as the short form plus 27 more, for a total of 34 subjects.

Population
Marital status
Place of birth, citizenship, and year of entry
School enrollment and educational attainment
Ancestry
Residence five years ago (migration) Language spoken at home
Veteran status
Disability
Grandparents as caregivers
Labor force status (current)
Place of work and journey to work
Work status last year
Industry, occupation and class of worker Income (previous year)
Housing
Units in structure
Number of rooms
Number of bedrooms Plumbing and kitchen facilities Year structure built
Year moved into unit
House heating fuel
Telephone
Vehicles available
Farm residence
Value of home
Monthly rent (including congregate housing)
Shelter costs (selected monthly owner costs)
---------

The Census Bureau tries to reassure everyone that their data will be kept private, but as a former IT professional, I didn't believe that then and I am more apprehensive now.

"In fact, information from the 1940 Census was secretly used in one of the worst violations of constitutional rights in U.S. history: the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II."

This included Japanese-Americans who were U.S. citizens. Shameful.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...e-12801745.php

Old 01-06-2019, 01:18 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The Census Bureau tries to reassure everyone that their data will be kept private, but as a former IT professional, I didn't believe that then and I am more apprehensive now.

"In fact, information from the 1940 Census was secretly used in one of the worst violations of constitutional rights in U.S. history: the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II."

This included Japanese-Americans who were U.S. citizens. Shameful.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...e-12801745.php
Keep registering your guns folks!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies