Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:56 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times

Advertisements

Illinois has become the 11th state in the Union to legalize recreational marijuana, and they did it in a way no other state has done it before. By going through the state legislature rather than starting as a referendum to the voters, they were able to avoid many of the pitfalls, including minority representation in the marijuana industry, that had derailed similar legislative action in New Jersey and New York.

The Illinois law sets aside a $12 million Cannabis Business Development Fund to lower licensing fee costs for minority entrepreneurs in the cannabis industry. The fund also will provide low-interest business loans to minority owners, an important step because banks will not loan money to the cannabis industry as long as weed remains illegal at the federal level.

The Illinois law also:

Establishes marijuana job training programs at community colleges.
Expunges marijuana arrest records for as many as 750,000 state residents.
Uses 25 percent of marijuana sales tax and fee revenue to fund Restore, Reinvest and Renew, a program that will award grant money to programs that address violence in communities affected by the war on drugs.

https://www.greenentrepreneur.com/article/335409

Nicely done, Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 05:58 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Excellent.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:02 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Establishes marijuana job training programs at community colleges.
BWAHAHAH...man, the world has changed so much since I was a kid.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
BWAHAHAH...man, the world has changed so much since I was a kid.
Tell me about it. In 1965 when I was born, the cops would find a roach in your ashtray and that was big news in any small or medium sized town. It’d be in the local paper as a big drug bust. It was just that crazy.

If you got popped with multiple joints, you were a kingpin and major drug distributor. You could easily be doing a dime in the bing. Judges were tossing the book at you.

Illinois did right. Why even bother with a dumb referendum? It’s a personal freedom issue.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:11 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Tell me about it. In 1965 when I was born, the cops would find a roach in your ashtray and that was big news in any small or medium sized town. It’d be in the local paper as a big drug bust. It was just that crazy.

If you got popped with multiple joints, you were a kingpin and major drug distributor. You could easily be doing a dime in the bing. Judges were tossing the book at you.

Illinois did right. Why even bother with a dumb referendum? It’s a personal freedom issue.
I can’t wait until we get someone in office who will legalize it nationwide. It’s beyond time.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:13 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Three quarters of a million Illinois residents will have their marijuana prison records expunged. That in itself is long, long overdue.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Three quarters of a million Illinois residents will have their marijuana prison records expunged. That in itself is long, long overdue.
That’s an excellent development.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I can’t wait until we get someone in office who will legalize it nationwide. It’s beyond time.
Yes, Ending the drug war is going to be one of the biggest issue in elections in years to come imo, I really cannot believe there are not more candidates now, running on this platform.

If a certain percentage of the population is going to be using drugs anyway, why should the criminal drug cartels be the ones profiting and benefiting from it? LOL its time to legalize and regulate all drugs across the board, disband agencies like the DEA and cut funding for law enforcement (since they will no longer be waging a drug war, they will not need all that money that was used for this purpose in the past), between the savings from budget money and disbanding a federal agency AND taxes coming in for the newly regulated drugs, this country would be awash in cash, we would have so much surplus, they would be looking for things to spend money on!

Old 06-20-2019, 01:09 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Someone?

It's up to Congress. A big group.

Sure, the AG and the President have a strong influence, but Congress can override any objections they have.

And yes, it's beyond time.

I mean, if it can happen in Illinois...

Old 06-20-2019, 01:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Someone?

It's up to Congress. A big group.

Sure, the AG and the President have a strong influence, but Congress can override any objections they have.

And yes, it's beyond time.

I mean, if it can happen in Illinois...
Well, then Congress has stopped representing the publics interest

By keeping federal drug laws in place, there are actually representing the interests of foreign drug cartels...whats it called when a govt aids and abets foreign criminal organizations, by enacting laws that benefit them specifically? I would say maybe treason, but it may go beyond that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies