Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 06:40 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'd be willing to bet that a good many of these Hispanics moving to Texas are illegal aliens or the offspring of illegal aliens. With the continued influx of illegal alien Hispanics they will never fully assimilate. They are adamant about speaking Spanish everywhere even if they know how to speak English. We will become culturally Hispanic if this doesn't stop.
Trump promised us a taco truck on every corner. We get one on Friday nights at the local watering hole across the street but I want one there all the time.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:41 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that a good many of these Hispanics moving to Texas are illegal aliens or the offspring of illegal aliens. The same thing is happening all over the southwest and is spreading everywhere else. With the continued influx of illegal alien Hispanics they will never fully assimilate. They are adamant about speaking Spanish everywhere even if they know how to speak English. We will become culturally Hispanic if this doesn't stop.
Doubtful. Does not match what happens historically. There are no guarantees of course. The typical pattern is immigrant generation speaks English poorly or not at all, their kids are truly bilingual, and the grand kids annoy the immigrant generation because they suck at the original language and are basically English only.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:45 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Doubtful. Does not match what happens historically. There are no guarantees of course. The typical pattern is immigrant generation speaks English poorly or not at all, their kids are truly bilingual, and the grand kids annoy the immigrant generation because they suck at the original language and are basically English only.
This has been the historical trend and hopefully, it will continue. However, in the past immigrants had to adapt and integrate. Today, the left encourages them not to integrate at all and there are numerous services and media outlets that maintain the Spanish language in these communities, instead of encouraging them to integrate into mainstream society.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:47 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,239,391 times
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that a good many of these Hispanics moving to Texas are illegal aliens or the offspring of illegal aliens. The same thing is happening all over the southwest and is spreading everywhere else. With the continued influx of illegal alien Hispanics they will never fully assimilate. They are adamant about speaking Spanish everywhere even if they know how to speak English. We will become culturally Hispanic if this doesn't stop.

Its Texas your already there. As is New Mexico, Arizona, California, and Florida. Our local foods, roads, parks, bridges, statues, and customs that are Hispanic. I live in a city that has a complete section (Tampa, FL) devoted to Hispanic Heritage and our cigar making roots that the Cubans and other brought here. Heck our most famous food is the Cuban Sandwich.

I guess it just depends on where you live in the US but this influence has always been there.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:49 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
If the Democrats are able to flip Texas, then all is lost. The Democrats will be able to institute their dreams. Get ready for the confiscation of land, the nationalization of industries and the excessive taxation of real work.
Yep, if/when Texas goes blue, USA goes Venezuela.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Long time former Texas Governor Rick Perry opposed eVerify and the Wall.

Trump appointed him to his cabinet.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:52 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Its Texas your already there. As is New Mexico, Arizona, California, and Florida. Our local foods, roads, parks, bridges, statues, and customs that are Hispanic. I live in a city that has a complete section (Tampa, FL) devoted to Hispanic Heritage and our cigar making roots that the Cubans and other brought here. Heck our most famous food is the Cuban Sandwich.

I guess it just depends on where you live in the US but this influence has always been there.
Not really, at least not of the magnitude it is today. Why haven't the Cubans in Florida assimilated after all of these years? From what I understand one can't even get a job in many parts of Florida unless you speak Spanish and that is true of many areas of the southwest now. That's more than just an influence it's a takeover. We are not a Hispanic country in identity but due to illegal immigration and unassimilating Hispanics in general we are fast becoming one. It's neither natural nor lawful.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Texas was Mexico.

The Southern Baptist church did a study when I was very young about when whites would be the minority in Texas. IIRC ithe study was around 1966. I was living in Galveston and had a neighbor who was a deacon He talked about it all the time.

They were right. I thought at the time I'd be an old woman when that day came.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:54 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Yes, this is what happened in my family. I really wish I learned Spanish because I never fully assimilated into White America. Yes, I work with them and we are like a work family, but my closest friends look like me and come from South America. They all are bilingual and speak English around me but sometimes I wish I could speak Spanish with them when they do.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Long time former Texas Governor Rick Perry opposed eVerify and the Wall.

Trump appointed him to his cabinet.
Yes, a very short-sighted view on Perry's part and most so-called leaders in both parties. They are willing to make sure we access cheap stuff. I'm willing to pay a bit more for a roof or to have my toilet cleaned in the long run. It's morally repugnant to believe that we should import brown people to 'do work we won't work.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies