Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:31 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Not often I find myself inclined to pass along the words of Republicans, but these words seem worth consideration. Perhaps the book worth reading too. You think?

Peter Wehner served in three Republican White Houses.

"You know, we have had divisive and polarizing presidents in the past. What's different with Donald Trump, in my estimation, is several things, one of which is, I don't think we have ever had a president in American history who seems to take such delight in inflaming the body politic, a person who seems to get a kind of psychic satisfaction out of antipathy, creating antipathy, anger, and divisions.

He seems to thrive on that, and he keeps going back to it again and again and again. And I don't know that anyone has ever controlled the public conversation like Trump has. And the fact that he uses that bully pulpit to divide us is, in my estimation, a terrible thing that has to be corrected for politics to get better and for the country to get better."

So, when you look at Christian leaders, how do you explain their enthusiastic support for the president?

"I think, frankly, that, for some of them, there's the seduction of political power, that the idea that, if they are at all critical of Trump, they're going to lose access to that power, and they don't want to do that.

... the other thing that's important for some evangelical Christians, not all, is that precisely the thing that ought to bother them the most, which is the cruelty, the crudity, the dehumanization that characterizes Donald Trump, I think they not only are not troubled by it. I think, for some of them, they appreciate it, because they feel like, this guy will figuratively bring a gun to a knife fight.

And there's a tremendous amount of anger and frustration and grievances that Christians have felt, and they look at Donald Trump as someone who is going to fight for them. I think it's a huge mistake. I think it's led them to very dark places, but I think that's part of what's going on."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/wi...-an-alarm-bell

The book is "The Death of Politics: How to Heal Our Frayed Republic After Trump."

Old 06-26-2019, 11:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Pubs have cozied up to the mindless "religious right" for decades now. The GOP has taken full advantage of their irrational fear and anger to convince them that the Republican Party is their only salvation.

I have to give the GOP some credit here. They've done a masterful job of convincing America's white "christians" that they're victims of some all-powerful conspiracy. This alliance between wealthy Pub money grubbers and ignorant Bible thumpers has worked well for the GOP.

But their minority rule is coming to an end. They were pointedly warned by one of their own.

They can't stop what's coming.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:20 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Pubs have cozied up to the mindless "religious right" for decades now. The GOP has taken full advantage of their irrational fear and anger to convince them that the Republican Party is their only salvation.

I have to give the GOP some credit here. They've done a masterful job of convincing America's white "christians" that they're victims of some all-powerful conspiracy. This alliance between wealthy Pub money grubbers and ignorant Bible thumpers has worked well for the GOP.

But their minority rule is coming to an end. They were pointedly warned by one of their own.

They can't stop what's coming.

Barry Goldwater said that in the 1980s yet the Christian Right still runs this country. Under Obama it was assumed that the religious right, as a political movement, had seen its time come and gone and that we were moving into a new more progressive, secular age. Now, it's like the 1980s are back and the Christian Right has returned to its place as the dominant political and cultural force in our country. Except this time, it has lost its humanity. It's only concerned with making its enemies, most notably LGBT, suffer. Close behind that is suppressing science that undermines their narrative regarding the End Times, climate change being the biggest issue.

This video is just as relevant in 2019 as it was in the early 1980s when it was made. It's like nothing has changed in this country, except empathy doesn't exist anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is_fhyhbAa4

Old 06-26-2019, 12:59 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
" they feel like, this guy will figuratively bring a gun to a knife fight."
That seems to be the core-appeal to so many groups... be it working-class people who regard their standard of living as slipping, religiously-devout people who regard their world-view as being marginalized by modernity, and so forth. The appeal is to have a pugilistic, vitriolic figure who's not constrained by the unworkable niceties of conventional methods.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:21 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
The Christian right doesn't particularly like Trump, they just like his Supreme Court picks. They will sell their souls to the devil to advance their agenda. I have asked myself if I would vote for a scumbag if he/she would promote the things I care about (climate change being the biggest) and I probably would. But at least with me I am not being a hypocrite like the Christian crowd is; my objections to Trump are not that he is immoral, but that he is dumb as a rock, is a racist, a wannabe despot, corrupt, and incompetent.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:59 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The Christian right doesn't particularly like Trump, they just like his Supreme Court picks. They will sell their souls to the devil to advance their agenda. I have asked myself if I would vote for a scumbag if he/she would promote the things I care about (climate change being the biggest) and I probably would. But at least with me I am not being a hypocrite like the Christian crowd is; my objections to Trump are not that he is immoral, but that he is dumb as a rock, is a racist, a wannabe despot, corrupt, and incompetent.
I share your sentiments, as I'd also vote for a "scumbag" who happens to advance my agenda. The trouble is, as you phrase it, the devil's bargain. Our scrappy little champion might not be so easy to contain. He might turn on his backers - and then what?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:31 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Perfectly fine for some Christians to support liberal policies even though those policies lift up anti-Christian principles such as abortion, gay marriage, removal of Christian influences and prayer in school, ... but we can't support Trump. That's a no-no for Christians.

Meanwhile you want school age boys and girls to dress and and undress in the same facilities. Why would I vote for that?

The truth is you REALLY don't care about what Christians think or believe. It's all about eroding support for Trump so your side can win. Just admit it.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:33 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

So, when you look at Christian leaders, how do you explain their enthusiastic support for the president?
So why, if what you say is correct, to Christian Leaders who are also African American, don't?

Your argument falls apart. Opps.

Unless of course this is just a let's hate on Whitey topic.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:40 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Perfectly fine for some Christians to support liberal policies even though those policies lift up anti-Christian principles such as abortion, gay marriage, removal of Christian influences and prayer in school, ... but we can't support Trump. That's a no-no for Christians.

Meanwhile you want school age boys and girls to dress and and undress in the same facilities. Why would I vote for that?

The truth is you REALLY don't care about what Christians think or believe. It's all about eroding support for Trump so your side can win. Just admit it.
You support Trump despite his 30 year history of being a sleazebag in every part of his life. And then you turn around and say "God" put this guy in office.

Donald Trump is and always has been the poster boy for a guy that is controlled by the devil and was on the road straight to hell.

Don't you realize that the devil is tricking you guys by putting in one of his minions? And you all are falling for it because "policies".

That old crafty devil. You Christians have always told us how smart and sneaky he was. Now we have proof.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:46 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
You support Trump despite his 30 year history of being a sleazebag in every part of his life. And then you turn around and say "God" put this guy in office.

Donald Trump is and always has been the poster boy for a guy that is controlled by the devil and was on the road straight to hell.

Don't you realize that the devil is tricking you guys by putting in one of his minions? And you all are falling for it because "policies".

That old crafty devil. You Christians have always told us how smart and sneaky he was. Now we have proof.
So Christians would be better off voting for Hillary Clinton?

You progs and your concern trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies