Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:14 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,698,674 times

Advertisements

Actually this seems quite fair. Shame it won't ever happen.....

Elizabeth Warren offers reparations to gay couples with plan that would allow them to claim marriage status on taxes preceding Supreme Court decision and get refunds from IRS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,727,800 times
I would expect individuals who are gay would say that.

"I'm ok with free handouts if they benefit me!!!"

As a black man, I hold the same opinion about this as I do about reparations for slavery. It's missing the forest for the trees and there's no way to even properly quantify such a measure.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:18 PM

52,341 posts, read 52,799,906 times
Far left silly nonsense.

This is why the Dems are going to lose in 2020, they need to focus on bigger ideas and solutions.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 PM

602 posts, read 506,511 times
I'd support this...if it also means that gay couples that would've owed MORE as a married couple have to pay up as well (of course that would amount to a retroactive tax going back many years and be of questionable constitutionality). You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:28 PM

5,290 posts, read 6,229,544 times
The thread title is misleading- these are not reparations. And they will not be available to all gay people. She would allow gay couples to amend tax returns to married status for the duration of their marriage- it pointed out that in Ma that would date back to 2003. Total cost is $57 million. Which is half of what we pay on Trump's yearly personal travel.

A better title would be- Warren seeks to extend back taxes benefits to gay coupe. But I doubt that earns as many clicks.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:34 PM

5,290 posts, read 6,229,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
I'd support this...if it also means that gay couples that would've owed MORE as a married couple have to pay up as well (of course that would amount to a retroactive tax going back many years and be of questionable constitutionality). You can't have your cake and eat it too.
They should have the same right as straight couples- look at the numbers then decide which way you want to file. I've known straight couples who chose to file separately for bevy of reasons. The oddest scenario was a couple where the husband commuted to work and they files separately so each could claim mortgage deduction from income tax and primary residence status on different homes. Another couple did it because of how one structured their business and not wanting to make the other liable- I am not even sure how that worked but it was their reason. 've also been told this was a more popular option for second marriages. At any rate, you would assume gay folks are welcome to those same decisions if they are offered to straight couples. I can't imagine anyone selecting an option with higher taxes unless it was necessary to keep their assets separate.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,371,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Far left silly nonsense.

This is why the Dems are going to lose in 2020, they need to focus on bigger ideas and solutions.
Their problem is that have absolutely nothing to offer Americans. I say let them promise folks free cotton candy, Starbucks and lollipops.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:47 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The thread title is misleading- these are not reparations. And they will not be available to all gay people. She would allow gay couples to amend tax returns to married status for the duration of their marriage- it pointed out that in Ma that would date back to 2003. Total cost is $57 million. Which is half of what we pay on Trump's yearly personal travel.

A better title would be- Warren seeks to extend back taxes benefits to gay coupe. But I doubt that earns as many clicks.
Be sure to contact the Daily Mail and let them know. It's the title to their article.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:49 PM

602 posts, read 506,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
They should have the same right as straight couples- look at the numbers then decide which way you want to file. I've known straight couples who chose to file separately for bevy of reasons. The oddest scenario was a couple where the husband commuted to work and they files separately so each could claim mortgage deduction from income tax and primary residence status on different homes. Another couple did it because of how one structured their business and not wanting to make the other liable- I am not even sure how that worked but it was their reason. 've also been told this was a more popular option for second marriages. At any rate, you would assume gay folks are welcome to those same decisions if they are offered to straight couples. I can't imagine anyone selecting an option with higher taxes unless it was necessary to keep their assets separate.
You do know that married filing separately =/= filing single? (MFS has the shallowest tax brackets as well as restrictions on certain credits/deductions, etc. that do not apply to the other filing statuses.)

Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,408,313 times
I might take Warren a bit more seriously if she didn't fraudulently claim to be Cherokee for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies