Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 06:10 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times

Advertisements

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...TAHGMEoQZQMSIE

Quote:
From the Department of Justice. It’s nothing earth shattering, but it’s a good update to old surveys of prison inmates.

Among prisoners serving time for a crime during which they possessed a gun, about half got their weapons either on the underground market (43 percent) or through theft (6 percent). Meanwhile, 10 percent bought guns from a retail source, including 0.8 percent who bought them at gun shows.

Another 11 percent of the time, someone else bought the gun for them, either as a gift or as a straw purchase (situations I wish the survey separated). Roughly 15 percent got guns from family and friends (buying, renting, trading, borrowing). And 12 percent of the time, the guns were either brought to the crime by someone else or found at the scene.

There is no way to keep criminals from getting guns. (And, if we could, they would be in jail for using knives, bats, clubs, rocks or whatever else they could get their hands on to maim, or kill, someone else)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 06:13 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Ironic that liberals want to target where criminals are NOT getting the guns but not target where they are getting the guns....

Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

There is no way to keep criminals from getting guns. (And, if we could, they would be in jail for using knives, bats, clubs, rocks or whatever else they could get their hands on to maim, or kill, someone else)
I've never heard of an innocent bystander getting clubbed or stabbed in a drive by.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:19 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I've never heard of an innocent bystander getting clubbed or stabbed in a drive by.
Ive heard that people die because of drunk drivers far more often than from drive bye.

Ive also heard that more people die from medical malpractice than from gun shots.

Just saying.

I do wonder why the left focuses so much on gun shows when only .8% of guns used in crimes came from gun shows?

Old 07-10-2019, 06:24 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Who cares? It doesnt matter where anyone gets a gun, its what they do with it.
I wonder how many of the "criminals" were in prison for non-violent crimes such as drug possession..in other words they were never really criminals and so what if they had a gun or where it came from.

Shall we look at where bank robbers get their getaway cars next?

Old 07-10-2019, 06:27 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Wow. That 0.8 percent from gun shows really stands out. I've said on this forum time and time again that people can't just go buy a gun from a gun show without a background check. Yes, private sellers are allowed to sell face-to-face without a check, but despite one or two people on here who seem to think otherwise, virtually no private seller wanta the gun used in a criminal situation, and they want some kind of assurance that you're a legal purchaser. In most cases this means they want to see some kind of concealed carry permit. Other private sellers will only sell to you if you meet them at an FFL so a background check can be done.

It's interesting (but not surprising) that a far greater number come from straw purchases. We prosecute what? Some ridiculous number like 40 cases out of 80,000 straw purchases?

Old 07-10-2019, 06:30 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I wonder how many of the "criminals" were in prison for non-violent crimes such as drug possession..in other words they were never really criminals and so what if they had a gun or where it came from.

I care because anti-gun idiots want to take away my rights when they don't even know what they're talking about. In an overall sense you have a point, but this report should be a direct counter to what a lot of legislators and activists talk about: "closing the gun show loophole".

Old 07-10-2019, 06:33 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

EVERYONE KNOWS that criminals either steal or pay straw buyers for weapons. This includes those wanting to ban guns. THEY KNOW IT! It isn't about stopping crime.

Criminals do not follow laws, period!

Anyone who believes that outlawing guns will stop violent crime, murders, suicides, is a moron idealogue.

The process: They have an idea which magically transforms into being a fact which everyone must duckstep to or else .

It's all about control. Just look at AOC, the youngest and dumbest person in the house, who claims "I'm the boss!". LIAR and soon to be LOSER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Disconnected much?

Last edited by Originalist; 07-10-2019 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 06:51 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,041 times
Lots of interesting stats:

Of the homicides, 37% state and 28% federal prisoners used a firearm. Basically two thirds of the murders were not done with firearms.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:56 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

I dunno, maybe if we can plug where the criminals are getting the guns, they can stop getting them and committing crimes with them? I thought pro-gun people were in favor of stopping criminals from getting the guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies