Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 07:25 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,534,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I was raised in a Quaker (Friends) church and I get flak for my belief that we need to quit being so violent towards others.

You'll note I also said I had no problem here and I would hope that a president can engage all world leaders.
Ummm ... ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 07:27 AM

24,089 posts, read 15,200,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Secretly, I might add.
I could have far more respect for some on the far right if they would at least acknowledge facts.

The money turned over to Iran was Iran's money. They paid for some planes back when the hostages were seized. Plus all their other funds in the USA.

The USA kept the money but did not deliver the planes. For many years.

Iran sued in the world Court. The judgement was on the way. The court was going to give them their money back plus much more interest.

Due to sanctions against Iran, there was no banking relationship to write the check through.

I'll admit it was handled badly.

But at least the Iranians were not advised to keep the hostages until the new POTUS was sworn in to get a better deal.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:27 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,369,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So Trump made an off color comment twenty years ago when he thought it was just between him and another guy. Bill Clinton actually DID what Trump said while in OFFICE while IN the Oval Office, but I'm sure that is OK with you. It doesn't make what Trump said right, but it was just a comment, not an ACTION.
You obviously have no idea what I am OK with. I have never said a word of support for Bill or Hillary here but this is generally the reply.

You can't address what I say, so you have to create something to argue against.

Quote:
To bring that statement into the conversation about North Korea and the pursuit of world peace is even beneath YOU, and that is saying a lot.
I replied to a point another made.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:35 AM

20,237 posts, read 9,152,864 times
why didn't obama try to work out a nuclear agreement with Kim? fear?.... intimidation?

Old 06-30-2019, 07:36 AM

37,819 posts, read 41,130,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Photo op. Conmen grifters do nothing for the good of others. Trump always has an angle. Its always about him.
Did you say that when Obama went to Cuba?

Old 06-30-2019, 07:39 AM

34,315 posts, read 18,694,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
why didn't obama try to work out a nuclear agreement with Kim? fear?.... intimidation?
Incompetence
He didn't want to be bothered
Too difficult
Too busy doing Democrat fundraisers (he campaigned for eight years just giving speeches)
Too busy playing golf, going to Hawaii, Martha's Vineyard, etc
Was thinking about his big payday (books, donations, speaking fees)
Focused on Fundamentally Transforming the U.S. (N. Korea already Fundamentally Transformed)
It wasn't on the Soros, Bloomberg, or Richard Branson "To Do" list

Old 06-30-2019, 07:47 AM

25,452 posts, read 9,874,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The left only hates it because it was Trump who did it first. Had it been Obama they would be demanding that a mountain be carved in Obama's image capturing the moment.
Oh please. Kim only did that to stoke Trump's ego. I'm sure it worked. Meanwhile, Kim will continue to not denuclearize.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:48 AM

20,186 posts, read 23,912,643 times
All I hear from the left is Wah Wah Wah... If Obama did it,they would demand the fifth Nobel Peace Prize for him... Silly TDS

Old 06-30-2019, 07:52 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,752,044 times
WOW!!!!!

Trump Becomes the First Sitting President to go to North Korea. Nuclear Talks resumed. Peace. Contrast this to his predecessors who started war after war.

No wonder Jimmy Carter is bitter. He absolutely failed when he went there.

(I noticed the leftists going into full blown "Orange Man Bad" mode. It must be terrible to live a life where your only activity is to see someone else fail.)

Old 06-30-2019, 07:53 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,121,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Because you didn't know about it doesn't mean it wasn't in the works.

That's the thing - -historically administrations don't grandstand -- They don't promote, make a show of all the background back and forth. I've included specific events for the first couple of years....there's more at the site.

Look -- nothing wrong with trying to work with North Korea. But it is an absolute falsehood to suggest Trump is the first President to do so. It is not a falsehood to say Trump is the first President to make a show of it...and Kim Jung Un clearly enjoys the show and opportunity to use the pictures of Trump in North Korea for propaganda purposes.

It's all fun & games until there is an agreement that is ADHERED to. Historically North Korea has agreed to conditions before & historically has not followed through.

Everyone should be skeptical.

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron
September 11, 2009: State Department spokesman P. J. Crowley tells reporters that the United States is “prepared to enter into a bilateral discussion with North Korea” as a precursor to resuming the six-party talks.
October 5, 2009: Xinhua News Agency reports that Kim Jong-Il informed Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao that Pyongyang was ready to return to multilateral talks provided bilateral talks with the United States yielded a favorable result.
November 9, 2009: P. J. Crowley, State Department spokesman, tells reporters that Special Representative for North Korea Policy Stephen Bosworth will lead a group to Pyongyang for direct talks with the North Korean government.
December 8-10, 2009: Officials for the Obama administration hold their first senior-level meetings with the North Korean government in Pyongyang. U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Policy Stephen Bosworth leads to delegation to Pyongyang, where he delivers a letter from President Obama to Kim Jong-Il.
April 26, 2011: Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter visits Pyongyang, accompanied by three other former heads of state, in a bid to revitalize negotiations.
July 28-29, 2011: U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Policy Stephen Bosworth and North Korean First Vice Foreign Minister Kim Gye Gwan meet in New York, as part of efforts to revive multilateral talks on North Korea’s nuclear program. This marked the first high-level meeting between the United States and North Korea in nearly two years, and the United States reportedly reiterated its willingness to restart negotiations if North Korea displayed committed itself to being a constructive partner in the negotiation process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies