Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 02:23 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,965,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Iran has no history of attacking anyone, they always get attacked. So they should find ways to defend themselves against fascist Arabs and others.

There is nothing wrong with the existing agreement, China and Russia should not sign any new agreement, nor the EU.
To the contrary, the EU should set everyone a tight deadline in the UN: by a given date the Middle-East conflict - the ultimate cause of Iran's activities - must be solved in a way everyone including Palestinians can live with happily, else there will be harsh sanctions and boycotts on everyone involved.
India our ally has been buying Irans oil and the US state department said we will sanction them also if they keep it up.

I say, if we keep this up, we will sanction all our allies to the otherside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 04:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,185,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not sure what you mean by the bold. The bomb that destroyed Hiroshima contained 141 lbs of U235.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
141 lbs of uranium, enriched to an average of 80%. Mircea is right - once you get past a certain point in enrichment, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. You get a marginally lighter warhead at colossal extra expense.
Quote:
But nobody does that. So it's a meaningless point.
Quote:
No his entire post was wrong. He said that for U235 to be useful it had to be enriched to 90%. Hiroshima was 80%. And it's on you to prove the attempt to 98% enrichment.
Little Boy was 90%.

Puki probably says 80%, but all US weapons-grade U235 was 90%.

To illustrate the point, 10 pounds of Pu239 gets you 1 kt while 30 pounds of U235 gets you 0.1 kt.

The US actually had two weapons just like that. I know, because I used to play with them.

For Pu239 and U235 there's a curve and as you increase the amount of fissile material for each, the yield increases on the curve and for U235 it does increase faster than Pu239 but only to a point for both. That point is the limiting factor. You cannot get a yield bigger that.

The French did have a 140 kt Pu239 gravity bomb for use with their Entendard and Super Entendard bombers, but those were retired in the 1970s, because they were a colossal waste of Pu239.

I was a NATO observer on Druzba '86, which was a Warsaw Pact exercise mostly in southern East Germany, Czechoslovakia and Hungaria. I observed Soviet nuclear weapons operations in a field environment to see how they do it (they do it almost just like we did). I was talking to the Soviet officers I was with about nuclear weapons systems and they mentioned a 60 kt U235 gravity bomb that they had recently removed from their inventory. That's pretty much the limit for U235.

However, that weapon was designed for Bison, Blinder and Badger bombers, and of course Bears and Backfires could carry it, too.

But, that is the whole point.

Iran doesn't have strategic bombers, and even if they enriched U235 to 98%-100% there's a limit on the size of the warhead they can build.

So all you people implying that 1 megaton warheads will be raining down on the US are just fear-mongering liars.

The best Iran could do is a 20 kt warhead. A B-29 delivered Little Boy, right?

Yeah, well, Iran doesn't have anything like that.

Sure, an Iranian F-4 Phantom II or Su-24 could carry it, but that's only because both aircraft have center pylons for mounting fuel tanks or ordnance.

But, if you mount a bomb there, then you can't mount fuel tanks, which means the combat radius of those aircraft is severely restricted.

If you think an F-4 carrying a 20 kt device will make it to Israel, you're certifiably insane, because that aircraft will run out of fuel and crash west of Riyadh long before it reaches Israel.

Quote:
The stuff would start to fission before you could assemble it. As I said, it's incredibly dangerous.
Nope, wrong answer.

The only system for Pu239 is spherical implosion. You cannot use a gun design. Single, double, doesn't matter, you can't use it.

Why? Because the spontaneous fission rate of Pu239 is 20,000 fissions per second per kilogram.

For that reason, Pu239 is stored as 1 cubic centimeter pellets.

In any larger volume, the spontaneous fission rate will self-initiate the cascading chain reaction.

No, it won't explode, but it will get very hot and throw off hard and soft x-rays, hard and soft gammas, neutrons and fission fragments and you wouldn't want to be anywhere in the vicinity when that happens.

If you dumped 10 pounds of 1 cubic centimeter pellets into a bowl, it would explode, but it wouldn't be 1 kt it would probably between 0.01 kt and 0.1 kt, because it isn't controlled.

The spontaneous fission rate for U235 is 30 fissions per second per kilogram and for U238 it's 10 fissions per second per kilogram.

Some of you might have guessed that there's a relationship between spontaneous fission rate and decay rate (half-life) and you'd be right.

You can store U235 and U238 in any quantity you want. You can have U235 the size of a giant beach-ball if you want. It won't do anything, except look weird.

Since U235 doesn't produce enough neutrons, you have to use a neutron generator. You can use a cryoton, or Polonium, or a neutron gas tube, which operates similar to a cryoton, or you can use emeralds.

The problem with using Polonium, or any other radionuclide that has a rapid decay rate is that you have to replace it about every 18 months, which I can tell you from experience is a real royal pain in the ass.

If Iran did build nuclear warheads, they'd probably be in the 0.1 kt range for use on the battlefield to delay or destroy an advancing army.

Iran does have about 2 dozen 8"/203 mm towed guns and 3 dozen 8"/203 mm self-propelled guns of US design.

They'd only need 30 pounds for that. Normally, the range is about 15-17 miles depending on atmospheric conditions, but with the heavier weight, it'd be about 12-15 miles. The US system used a RAP -- rocket assisted projectile -- that you mated to the warhead, stuck it in the breech with a special propellant charge, jump into your foxhole and yank the lanyard. The special charge propels the warhead out of the tube, the rocket ignites and carries it to target, which was roughly 35 miles.

The down-side of that is the RAP rips out the rifling in the tube and the gun is useless now.

Without the RAP, you can continue to use the gun. That's what the Pakis have (a non-RAP system) and they use them with both their towed and self-propelled 8"/203 mm guns.

Clearly, that would be a purely defensive weapon and seeing how the US is biding its time to wait for the right opportunity to attack Iran, the Iranians would be stupid not to have them.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:20 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
^Word Salad. (and far too long to quote)

What does any of that have to do with Iran?

Old 07-07-2019, 04:36 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,440,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
A year after Trump ripped up the deal, Iran broke a condition of the deal.

Hmmmm we will always wonder what if.

And the crowd says '....SEE -- see what -- Iran is not sticking to a deal that Trump ripped up.

Perhaps if the deal had been left in place while Trump negotiated the deal he thought would be better Iran wouldn't be so quick to challenge Trump.

We don't know.
There is no better deal. There is only what Putin wanted.
Regardless,
Only an idiot would uphold "their end" of a deal ripped up by the other. And only an idiot would expect such a thing .
That is what is making democrats look like idiots.
....continue playing by the rule of law while Trump rips it up day after day after day.....

Won't ensure Trumps re election tho.
The American people know who the real enemy is and we want our Country back.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:06 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,185,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
India our ally has been buying Irans oil and the US state department said we will sanction them also if they keep it up.
Good for India.

That's pay-back for US attempts to murder Prime Minister Nehru for Declaring Neutrality While Non-White/Non-Christian and pay-back for US interference in the 1971 Pakistani-Indian War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Huh?! Half-life is completely irrelevant in this respect. Dirty bomb simply means that they would pack radioactive stuff into a conventional weapon, which could render a certain area uninhabitable, depending on the amount of radioactive substances, the way it is distributed, etc.
Uh-huh. Radioactive stuff. Like U238 or U235?

All you need to clean that up is to have a couple of janitors, or sanitation engineers if you prefer, make a trip to Kroger's or Wal-Mart and pick up some dust masks and Playtex rubber gloves.

The half-life of U238 is 4.5 Billion years. It's about as dangerous as Lead for the same reasons as Lead.

The half-life of U235 is 700 Million years, which means it's also as dangerous as Lead for the same reason as Lead.

If, as you claim, it's dangerous, then why are people living in Denver, Colorado?

The people in Denver get exposed every day of their lives to more U238/235 than people would ever be exposed in a "dirty-bomb" (snicker).

Hell, the Radon gas in your basement is more dangerous than any "dirty-bomb" (snicker) could ever be.

I'm guessing you're totally confounded by the phrase "blast-radius."

Have you ever seen a bomb ever in your life? No.

There are actually two blast-radii. The first is over-pressure, and for a 2,000 lb bomb -- gravity or guided munition -- the over-pressure is 2 psi at 450 meters. That's not enough to kill you, but it's possible you might be injured.

The second is sometimes called the lethality radius, because that's how far fragments can sometimes travel and for a 2,000 lb bomb that can be 800 meters to occasionally 1,200 meters.

I'm guessing you don't understand how bombs work, either. The Iron casing is specially alloyed with certain metals and then heated and treated to coerce a crystal lattice structure that is amendable to fragmenting into splinters, instead of chunks.

Same with fragmentation grenades, except they use Aluminum instead of Iron.

I mention that, because unless some is Q-Clearance qualified, they do not have the skill to alloy radionuclides, which means they can't make a "dirty-bomb" (snicker) casing using radionuclides.

So, now what? Are you going to put the "radioactive stuff" in with the bomb?

Well, congratulations Mr. Wizard, you just totally altered the characteristics of the blast wave.

I don't guess it would ever occur to you to look at a Periodic Table so that you can see where most "radioactive stuff" has a density 2x to 3x greater than Iron.

You just cut the over-pressure radius by 1/2 up to 2/3rds. Good job. You also reduced the lethality radius as well.

If your bomb is indoors, it's a big nothing-burger. It would have to be out-doors.

The only thing that would render an area uninhabitable is Pu239/240, except it is strictly controlled and no one could get their hands on it, and even if they did, it has to be stored as pellets no greater than 1 cubic centimeter in volume to keep it from self-initiating a cascading chain reaction.

I sure hope you're not going to say "Cobalt." Radioactive Cobalt doesn't exist naturally. You have to make it and the worst Cobalt isotope only has a half-life of a little over 5 years. That's not exactly uninhabitable forever, or for any great length of time for that matter.

Like I said, "dirty-bomb" was invented by a security guard who passes himself off as a security expert, but has no training or experience with any involving explosive ordnance or things nuclear.

The Media bought into the nonsense and ran with it. Now your government uses it to get that knee-jerk reaction it wants out of the sheeple.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:43 PM

57,360 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post

I say, if we keep this up, we will sanction all our allies to the otherside.
They already threatened the nations that entered into the agreement with us if they trade with Iran but I doubt that China and Russia care. Imagine sanctions against France, Germany and Great Britain because they went along with us. I don’t see sanctions changing their minds and I doubt that the US will change. It’s a downward spiral and Trump has no way out.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,766,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Good for India.

That's pay-back for US attempts to murder Prime Minister Nehru for Declaring Neutrality While Non-White/Non-Christian and pay-back for US interference in the 1971 Pakistani-Indian War.

Uh-huh. Radioactive stuff. Like U238 or U235?

All you need to clean that up is to have a couple of janitors, or sanitation engineers if you prefer, make a trip to Kroger's or Wal-Mart and pick up some dust masks and Playtex rubber gloves.

The half-life of U238 is 4.5 Billion years. It's about as dangerous as Lead for the same reasons as Lead.

The half-life of U235 is 700 Million years, which means it's also as dangerous as Lead for the same reason as Lead.

If, as you claim, it's dangerous, then why are people living in Denver, Colorado?

The people in Denver get exposed every day of their lives to more U238/235 than people would ever be exposed in a "dirty-bomb" (snicker).

Hell, the Radon gas in your basement is more dangerous than any "dirty-bomb" (snicker) could ever be.

I'm guessing you're totally confounded by the phrase "blast-radius."

Have you ever seen a bomb ever in your life? No.

There are actually two blast-radii. The first is over-pressure, and for a 2,000 lb bomb -- gravity or guided munition -- the over-pressure is 2 psi at 450 meters. That's not enough to kill you, but it's possible you might be injured.

The second is sometimes called the lethality radius, because that's how far fragments can sometimes travel and for a 2,000 lb bomb that can be 800 meters to occasionally 1,200 meters.

I'm guessing you don't understand how bombs work, either. The Iron casing is specially alloyed with certain metals and then heated and treated to coerce a crystal lattice structure that is amendable to fragmenting into splinters, instead of chunks.

Same with fragmentation grenades, except they use Aluminum instead of Iron.

I mention that, because unless some is Q-Clearance qualified, they do not have the skill to alloy radionuclides, which means they can't make a "dirty-bomb" (snicker) casing using radionuclides.

So, now what? Are you going to put the "radioactive stuff" in with the bomb?

Well, congratulations Mr. Wizard, you just totally altered the characteristics of the blast wave.

I don't guess it would ever occur to you to look at a Periodic Table so that you can see where most "radioactive stuff" has a density 2x to 3x greater than Iron.

You just cut the over-pressure radius by 1/2 up to 2/3rds. Good job. You also reduced the lethality radius as well.

If your bomb is indoors, it's a big nothing-burger. It would have to be out-doors.

The only thing that would render an area uninhabitable is Pu239/240, except it is strictly controlled and no one could get their hands on it, and even if they did, it has to be stored as pellets no greater than 1 cubic centimeter in volume to keep it from self-initiating a cascading chain reaction.

I sure hope you're not going to say "Cobalt." Radioactive Cobalt doesn't exist naturally. You have to make it and the worst Cobalt isotope only has a half-life of a little over 5 years. That's not exactly uninhabitable forever, or for any great length of time for that matter.

Like I said, "dirty-bomb" was invented by a security guard who passes himself off as a security expert, but has no training or experience with any involving explosive ordnance or things nuclear.

The Media bought into the nonsense and ran with it. Now your government uses it to get that knee-jerk reaction it wants out of the sheeple.
I don't get the point of your lengthy posts. I never mentioned any specific material, I never mentioned uranium for instance. I do not know what radioactive substances the Iranians or other countries possess and could use in a dirty bomb. Nor do you.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Iran Breaches Critical Limit on Nuclear Fuel Under 2015 Deal
Trump dishonored the deal, and by doing so he gave Iran green light to build nukes.

I think he actually believed his approach would work better, but obviously it did not.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,400,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A year? Trump did his little snit-fit in May 2018.

Precisely my thoughts. 12 mos is "not long"?

Old 07-08-2019, 07:54 AM

20,155 posts, read 9,049,040 times
Dems trust Iran ...LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies