Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 11:31 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
If the system is supposedly rigged, it should have prevented Zuckerberg’s rise to success as he was not a descendant of this boogeyman “ruling class”

In fact, he only proves that nothing is “rigged” and that someone who can execute a good idea is still capable of limitless success.
Just because one statement is true doesn't mean others aren't also.

Repeat after me - if not for the 10's of thousands of low-paid moderators that FB has hired all over the world and who get paid nothing and are experiencing PTSD from the images they are forced to see 100's of times per day - then zuck could not rise to the top.

No one doubt wealth creation in Silicon Valley - it is perhaps the biggest wealth creator in the history of the USA...or world.

The South was very rich. Any good white planter of the right religion that got free land could become very wealthy. BUT, those richest were dependent on millions of poor blacks and whites existing. Someone had to work in the foundry and cast the Plows, millions had to pick cotton and remove weeds, etc.

When we discuss wealth in the current day it is not any different. Take any org - like the Waltons (Wad-Mart). It takes literally MILLIONS of people working for lower wages to create the value of their Family and a couple 100 executives with stock options.

This has to be addressed....because you simply cannot have one without the other. In a sense the system is set up so that those who can abuse more people (or take advantage of them, if you want to put it that way) can make the most.

There are exceptions to this rule - but not in a general sense. The 100's of thousands of health care aides that work in the nursing homes and with older folks make from $9 to $14 an hour....the real money is made only by the few Corporations that own chains of the nursing homes.

No one in their right mind can claim "all 400,000 of those aides should just start corporations themselves and get rich owning nursing homes".....because each rich one is dependent on 100's of very poor folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 11:35 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.65d2b9a175c5

From the true official source - fed:
"the average American family has yet to recover fully from the 2008 financial crisis, the Federal Reserve found"

"Boshara, of the St. Louis Fed, pointed out that credit card and auto loan delinquencies have risen this year, the opposite of what Wall Street expected in good economic times."

"In discussions with 30 Americans unable to pay all of their bills, a clear pattern emerged: Most were able to eke by until they faced an unexpected crisis such as a job loss, cancer, car trouble or storm damage.

Economists fear such precarious financial situations put many Americans at risk if there is even a mild setback in the economy, potentially setting up the next recession to be worse than anything in recent history except the Great Recession."

“We are headed toward a political crisis, if not an economic one.”

Hey, I'm doing fine.....but that was never the question here. The concern was always the "forgotten Americans" of whom it was claimed they will WIN so much they will get tired of winning. They are getting tired all right....

"As a nurse’s aide, she makes above Ohio’s $8.55-an-hour minimum wage but not much over $10" - that's in Ohio, the place where MAGA was supposed to be centered. $10 an hour......and she is getting VERY tired.
"“I’m 25, but I feel like I am in my late 30s,”"

Meanwhile, 2 Billion dollar bombers are putting on a display in DC.
So, she was making more under Obama? She got demoted Because of Trump?

Three kids, what, she was making enough for everything until Trump was elected? A $350 a month auto loan, who in the hell made her buy such an expensive car?

Why no story on someone like me? Business is booming for myself, I have zero financial issues.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:38 AM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Some do, among them the upper 10%, but the majority of us aren't brilliant enough to come up with a hit invention or new service that many people must have.
Well, that’s why he’s rich and you’re not

This is an amazing country because normal, everyday people can build wealth beyond their wildest dreams. I find it incredibly inspiring.

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, she was making more under Obama? She got demoted Because of Trump?

Three kids, what, she was making enough for everything until Trump was elected? A $350 a month auto loan, who in the hell made her buy such an expensive car?

Why no story on someone like me? Business is booming for myself, I have zero financial issues.
If you are talking about the nurse’s aide, she put herself in a $450/mo vehicle...with 3 kids.

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The Fed Gov only finances spending. Tax cuts aren't spending; they're letting people/businesses keep more of their own money. Furthermore, federal tax revenue INCREASED after the Trump tax cuts (which 80% of US taxpayers received). So... 80% receive a tax cut, and the result is increased federal tax revenue. Same thing happened when Kennedy cut taxes: federal tax revenue increased.
But what you don't want people to know is that after accounting for a decline of 23.5% in corporate taxes, total tax revenues were only up a measly 1%. I wonder how much up is Trump's spending? Probably you would rather not know.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:39 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Well, that’s why he’s rich and you’re not

This is an amazing country because normal, everyday people can build wealth beyond their wildest dreams. I find it incredibly inspiring.
Exactly! Reading through this thread you can see a pattern. One side sees opportunity (and often have generated wealth). The other side is negative and sees only obstacles.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:42 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
But what you don't want people to know is that after accounting for a decline of 23.5% in corporate taxes, total tax revenues were only up a measly 1%. I wonder how much up is Trump spending? Probably you would rather not know.
That sounds great to me. Even if tax revenue were completely neutral, it is a win. To listen to democrats, if taxes are lower, revenue goes down, not up.

So revenue went up but people got to keep more of their money at the same time. So what is the problem?

Old 07-05-2019, 11:44 AM

8,241 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
You totally missed my point. There is a difference in buying Nikes versus some lower priced shoes.

I didn't miss anything. I went strictly by what you said. And around here some low income people get Nikes and other popular brands second hand from middle class people who got them and sell them in yard sales or group sites like on Facebook for much less than retail. Why pay $20 at Wal-mart for cheap shoes with no arch support that tear your feet up when you can spend that $20 for gently used Nikes?

Old 07-05-2019, 11:44 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
But what you don't want people to know is that after accounting for a decline of 23.5% in corporate taxes, total tax revenues were only up a measly 1%. I wonder how much up is Trump's spending? Probably you would rather not know.
Define “measly”.

1% of $3.4 trillion federal tax revenue is $34 billion dollars!

Old 07-05-2019, 11:49 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Of course, it would not matter a lick if she made $11. Still could not afford to get to work and back,
3 kids would make it hard to live on $20 an hour. I'd like to know the back story on where are the baby daddies, how about child support and how many men have fathered these 3 kids (if she even knows).

So Mom, 3 kids, no husband, no education... means we'll be supporting them for quite a few years.

Wonder why she can't move in with family? These articles only give us 30% of the details. The ones that really matter never get discussed.

I'll bet this woman is Peggy Josephs young daughter in the video, 10 years later.

Welfare family 2.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies