Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 05:10 AM

37,223 posts, read 19,219,451 times

Advertisements

It looks like today's Democrats have moved further right. They would have made great Republicans forty years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsmgPp_nlok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 05:38 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt_tSdybaXI

Old 07-20-2019, 06:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It looks like today's Democrats have moved further right. They would have made great Republicans forty years ago.
They say Dems have moved far left. It seems they are still not as far left as Reagan and Bush were.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It does sound familiar. So did Trump's "send them home". Here's W using the same phrase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8iieGUw-E

Old 07-20-2019, 08:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:

Illegal immigration from the Southern borders became a tidal wave in the 80’s.

Reagan signed Immigration Reform and Control Act in 1986 which gave amnesty to millions. It also made employment of undocumented people a Federal crime.

Going after those who employ undocumented people, whether directly or as independent contractors, is political suicide. It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority.

There are reasons why only a handful of states mandated eVerify. Of those who have, the laws contains intentional loopholes for those who engage independent contractors which also allows the employer to avoid Payroll Taxes.

No wall is high enough and no patrol deep enough so long as US people continue to employ undocumented people.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:21 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
Quote:

Not surprising. I'm a 40-something who was a lifelong registered Republican until Trump came along. Some of my own positions have changed, but it's difficult to reconcile the GOP I grew up with, with what it's turned into today.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Illegal immigration from the Southern borders became a tidal wave in the 80’s.

Reagan signed Immigration Reform and Control Act in 1986 which gave amnesty to millions. It also made employment of undocumented people a Federal crime.

Going after those who employ undocumented people, whether directly or as independent contractors, is political suicide. It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority.

There are reasons why only a handful of states mandated eVerify. Of those who have, the laws contains intentional loopholes for those who engage independent contractors which also allows the employer to avoid Payroll Taxes.

No wall is high enough and no patrol deep enough so long as US people continue to employ undocumented people.
Several of us here have been saying that for years. It's simple supply and demand. As long as there are jobs available to the immigrants, they will come and fill them. If they could not get hired, they woudl self-deport in short order.

It's amazing how quiet the republicans on the board are today.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:33 PM

8,563 posts, read 10,984,238 times
Quote:
Several of us here have been saying that for years. It's simple supply and demand. As long as there are jobs available to the immigrants, they will come and fill them. If they could not get hired, they woudl self-deport in short order.

It's amazing how quiet the republicans on the board are today.
Well, here is one republican that had, and has plenty to say about illegal immigration into this country.
I have advocated for years , perhaps longer than some of you have been alive, to arm the military on the border, with orders to shoot to kill, ANYONE entering this country illegally.

Warn ahead of time, those who would be foolish enough to try and enter the country illegally.
I have always advocated a tough policy when it comes to illegal immigration, and can not, for the life of me, understand why the liberal factions in this country would allow the laws of this country to be violated on a daily basis.
We have laws in this country,and we should do all we can to enforce them, rather than deviate from them in the name of immigrant rights.
Immigrants to this country, until a citizen, should have no rights.
That should be reserved for citizens only.

Now, relating to this asylum issue, I strongly believe it should be done away with.
It has outlived it's original purpose, and now is nothing more than a legal tool by which people who are not deserving of it's protections, are blatantly, and fraudulently taking advantage of the fact,that those who are in a position to guard against this type of fraud, are turning a blind eye to it's unlawful proliferation.

I think it might be a good time for all elected officials, and for those seeking political office, to be mandated they sit down, and study the constitution, word for word, so there can be no mistake as to it's defining terms.

I feel many, many on the liberal, democratic side want to do away with the constitution, simply because it does not fit their criteria.
Perhaps they are oblivious to the fact this constitution has stood the test of time, and has been a strong buttress, against tyranny for nearly three centuries for this country.

I believe we are at a crossroads in this country, and soon, people are going to have but two choices as to what happens in this country going forward.

We are either going to be a country of laws that are enforced, or we will be a country with absolutely no freedoms at all.

Government will dictate our entire lives, and we citizens will foot the bill for this enslavement.
This was a republican's perspective, and perhaps should be the perspective of any one with half a brain.

Bob.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:40 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Well, here is one republican that had, and has plenty to say about illegal immigration into this country.
I have advocated for years , perhaps longer than some of you have been alive, to arm the military on the border, with orders to shoot to kill, ANYONE entering this country illegally.
You must have hated when the Berlin Wall fell. So interesting that a nation of immigrants has so many people here who absolutely hate immigrants SMH

Old 07-20-2019, 04:14 PM

8,563 posts, read 10,984,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You must have hated when the Berlin Wall fell. So interesting that a nation of immigrants has so many people here who absolutely hate immigrants SMH
I don't hate people that legally immigrated to this country.
My Dad entered the legal way, and if it was good enough for him, and the millions of others who did, it should be good enough for these illegals to step back, and enter legally.
Why should people entering this country illegally be supported in any way?
They break the law when doing so, and are telling all those. like my dad, who entered legally FYOU.

And we should just step back and allow this?

I don't think so.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies