Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:59 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,603,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I totally disagree with the conviction. Like the old adage, "If someone told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?" An adult makes all their own decisions up to and including ending their life prematurely. The boyfriend could have said, "This is wrong. I'm not going to listen to you." He could have thrown his phone in the river. He could have texted someone else. He could have blocked her number. He could have driven that vehicle to his parents' home or to the hospital.

Blaming her is misplaced. No one held a gun to his head and forced him to read, respond, and follow her text messages. Convicting her sets a bad legal precedent. Sure what she did was evil. But the only person responsible for a suicide is that individual. That's what suicide is.
If person A conspires with person B to kill person C then person A is still responsible. The only difference here is that person B and C are one in the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 12:00 PM

30,653 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Yeah I'm a strong defender of the first amendment but I don't think there is a problem with the conviction here. This was a person of influence who engaged in disgusting behavior that led someone to take his life. General calls of internet trolls on the internet for people to taken their own lives would, in most cases, be protected. But this was something far different.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:08 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,421,906 times
Involuntary manslaughter seems like a fair charge for encouraging a fragile troubled young man who clearly needed help to kill himself. What a disgusting callous act.

I hope the ***** thinks about how she treats others when she's in the pokey.

It's clearly not deserving of an extremely long sentence, but she only got 15 months which seems more than fair. This is something that should be punished but that she should be able to come back from and move on to a better life if she makes an effort.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:45 PM

6,360 posts, read 2,907,947 times
She was calling him while he was in the truck killing himself. And she didn't call 911. Judge Moniz found that Roy had broken the “chain of self-causation” towards his suicide when he exited the truck and that it was Carter’s wanton and reckless encouragement to then return to the truck that caused his death.

Quote:
Judge Moniz explained that prosecutors proved beyond a reasonable doubt Carter’s words of encouragement in the weeks leading up to the suicide were wanton or reckless but failed to prove that this conduct caused Roy’s death. In his view, Roy’s research, preparation, and expressed desire to commit suicide made it clear that Carter’s support at that time did not cause his death. However, Judge Moniz observed, when Roy exited the truck and abandoned his suicide attempt, he “br[oke] that chain of self-causation.” Given Carter’s knowledge of Roy’s fears and the danger posed by the toxic environment within the truck, Judge Moniz found Carter’s instruction to get back into the truck at Roy’s crucial moment of equivocation to be wanton and reckless conduct.Carter’s instruction created “a life-threatening risk” to Roy by “put[ting] him into that toxic environment “and thus imposed on Carter “a duty to take reasonable steps to alleviate [that] risk. “Ultimately, Carter’s “actions and also her failure to act, where she had a self-created duty,” constituted wanton and reckless conduct that “caused the death of Mr. Roy.”
https://harvardlawreview.org/wp-cont...925_Online.pdf

Last edited by mascoma; 07-09-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 09:32 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/07/08/michel...-by-text-case/

I hope that the Court does agrees to review this case. I think that this young woman, regardless of the tragic suicide of her boyfriend, was wrongly convicted.

Firstly, I think she has some psychiatric or psychological problems herself. Perhaps she was trying to use reverse psychology on him. Regardless of why she did it...even if it was in malice, this is just another example of why the founders of this country thought that governing and judging should be reserved to those gifted with superior intellect. I don't agree that we should be run by an elite higher order, but I sure do understand the idea of it. This is a case of rough-cut moralist prosecutors and judges sculpting the law to the shape of their common-minded reasonings. People of this mentality cannot understand some of the higher principles that undergird some of our laws.

Where does the reasoning behind her conviction take us? You can extrapolate the most bizarre and ridiculous cases for criminal culpability using the reasoning of the judge that convicted her. Every dammed one of us could be convicted of a crime under the reasoning used to convict this girl.

PREEMPTION: To the common-minded who cannot distinguish between a reasoned argument based on principle vs sticking up for someone the pitchfork mob would call pure-evil... I am not justifying the act of prodding someone to commit suicide. Got it!!!
It's not reverse psychology when the young man decided to stop and the girl urged him on. She was very persistent too.

They were both very troubled, but the girl commanded the situation. At any time she could have stopped the boy's suicide, but she did not. She pushed him into it as hard as she could push.

As part of her sentence, she was ordered to accept the psychiatric help that came with prison. She was, and probably still is very mentally disturbed, but I think that she's dangerous.

If she can talk someone into killing himself against his will once, she can do it again. She would be better at it the second time.

I don't want her loose. She's predatory as she is, and I doubt she will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies