Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 09:57 AM

9,392 posts, read 7,029,776 times

Advertisements

It's a shame the American public isn't being educated in a proper manner to begin with. A basic understanding of financial and economic concepts/principals would go a long way.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:01 AM

18,529 posts, read 9,216,759 times
Capitalism is very simple: it’s a systematic transfer of wealth from people with low bargaining power to people with high bargaining power.

Poor people are desperate to survive, so they have no bargaining power. They are forced to sell their labor at prices well below the value of their labor. People with high bargaining power (obtained via ownership) capture the value differential between wages and labor value.

Capitalism is essentially a predatory system. It’s a transfer of energy from the organisms at the bottom of the food chain to the organisms at the top. Capitalism is great for the people at the top of the food chain; it’s not so great for the people at the bottom.

I love capitalism: I get to feast off the fruits of someone else’s labor, simply because, as an American, I was born near the top of the food chain. It’s like owning slaves, without anyone knowing or caring about it.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:02 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,051,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's what happens when we DON'T have capitalism. So WHY advocate we go in that same direction, on steroids? That's just stupid as hell.
Ok as the first great step in that dierction, you and danielj72 please give up your social security checks. And medicare or medicaid if you have one. After all nothing in captialism is free right?

And ask your party to change their color to White, because you are the reds at the moment.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,051,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
We do need to do a better job of educating kids about the values of America including capitalism. There is another thread out there about the Soviet Union where young Americans are sympathetic toward the Soviets all while making posts critical of their own country. Our young people don’t like America or capitalism. Who taught them this? Hollywood, universities and social media are the prime suspects obviously but still we allow it to continue even though we see what is happening. Stronger measures than education are need at this point considering how deeply the reds have infiltrated our nation.

Too bad we cannot bring back old senator Mcarthy, we need to root out the reds in our nation. College professors teaching communist values need to be rounded up and detained. The same is true of Hollywood elites. Those in government like AOC and Senator Sanders should be arrested and dragged physically out of the capitol building. Pro communist riots ( here is looking at you ANTFA) should have violent force used against them. No commie should ever feel at ease in the United States, they should fear the United States. I am tired of seeing this dangerous leftism tolerated in our country. It is time for a crack down.
I partially agree with you. There are many countries where people have spend their entire earnings for education and moving higher up in life. American kids do not even realize how fortunate they are to get everything, and yet they loudmouth themselves. That is why immigrant kids tend to do better in school than hispanic and black dempgraphics, because they know what it means to get a higher standard.

IN Indian philosophy, the central concept is that the true self is clouded by the mind. Mind is bombarded with thoughts which pulls you away farther from the self. That concept is exploited and expertly used by propagandists. Trump is trying to take the country in right direction, but see the criticism he has to face.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:08 AM

8,186 posts, read 3,736,888 times
Quote:
Everything I said is true.
Who's paying $20,000 on health care costs per year? That's not even the national average.

You just don't want to face the truth...

"Everything is included" in EU-28 taxes? Nope. Housing, food, and clothing are NOT included. Housing and clothing are expensive in the EU-28, and the average income earner has to pay for those with their GREATLY reduced take home pay due to an EU-28 average 45% effective national tax rate.

That's like an average American earner ($52,000/year) trying to pay for housing, food, and clothing at a bare minimum on take home pay of just $28,600 or just $2,383/month. Rent/mortgage, alone, eats up at least half of that.

In direct contrast, the average American earner ($52,000/year) pays an average effective federal tax rate of 23.1% (10.7% income tax plus 12.4% for both employee and employer share of SS and Medicare tax).

Do you think you can convince average income Americans to bump that effective federal tax rate up to 45% like the EU-28? I don't think they'll go for it, especially with the extreme shortage of affordable housing in the US due to having to compete with 22 million illegal aliens (Yale/MIT study) for low-cost housing.
Learn math. You add all HC employee and employer paid. Also add college and so on. Let's say 20k to 70k a year here for tuition while kids in college. Meanwhile in Germany $100 a semester. When you take all this into account let me know. Then you will know what effective tax rate is. Oh, I forgot - property taxes. Essentially zero in EU. Not so here.

Apples and oranges. But you knew that.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:09 AM

89,423 posts, read 45,120,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Ok as the first great step in that dierction, you and danielj72 please give up your social security checks. And medicare or medicaid if you have one. After all nothing in captialism is free right?
I would GLADLY give up SS and Medicare if I get a refund plus compounded interest of all the SS and Medicare taxes I've paid over the past nearly 4 decades.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:20 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,619,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Capitalism is very simple: it’s a systematic transfer of wealth from people with low bargaining power to people with high bargaining power.

Poor people are desperate to survive, so they have no bargaining power. They are forced to sell their labor at prices well below the value of their labor. People with high bargaining power (obtained via ownership) capture the value differential between wages and labor value.

Capitalism is essentially a predatory system. It’s a transfer of energy from the organisms at the bottom of the food chain to the organisms at the top. Capitalism is great for the people at the top of the food chain; it’s not so great for the people at the bottom.

I love capitalism: I get to feast off the fruits of someone else’s labor, simply because, as an American, I was born near the top of the food chain. It’s like owning slaves, without anyone knowing or caring about it.

Complete nonsense!

Capitalism has two aspects: free trade and private ownership of property (Note, government control is not one of them).

What is free trade? That's people trade goods and services under their free will. They are willing to trade because the trade benefits BOTH PARTIES.

A laborer willing to trade his labor in exchange of money because this trade is better for HIM than other alternatives.

A greedy capitalist willing to trade his money in exchange of the laborer working for him is because this trade is better for the capitalist.

Capitalism is the only moral system, and free trade is freedom and is win-win.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:28 AM

89,423 posts, read 45,120,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Learn math. You add all HC employee and employer paid. Also add college and so on. Let's say 20k to 70k a year here for tuition while kids in college. Meanwhile in Germany $100 a semester. When you take all this into account let me know. Then you will know what effective tax rate is. Oh, I forgot - property taxes. Essentially zero in EU. Not so here.
Nope. Local taxing authorities in the EU charge local taxes. That's the only way they are able to provide local services. To see where that DOESN'T happen:

Countries with no property taxes where you REALLY own your home

Quote:
Apples and oranges. But you knew that.
Nope. Employer-provided health insurance costs WAY less than $20,000/year. And any American kid can go to Community College inexpensively. But in Germany, admission to colleges is strictly limited. Not just anyone can attend. College is rationed in Germany, available only to the very best students. Is it your belief that the US should do that, as well?

By the way, in Sweden, in which college is supposedly "free," the average student loan debt is $21,000.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/u...debt-best.html

Seems you're significantly UNDER-informed.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:39 AM

8,186 posts, read 3,736,888 times
Quote:
Nope. Local taxing authorities in the EU charge local taxes. That's the only way they are able to provide local services. To see where that DOESN'T happen:

Countries with no property taxes where you REALLY own your home

Nope. Employer-provided health insurance costs WAY less than $20,000/year. And any American kid can go to Community College inexpensively. But in Germany, admission to colleges is strictly limited. Not just anyone can attend. College is rationed in Germany, available only to the very best students. Is it your belief that the US should do that, as well?

By the way, in Sweden, in which college is supposedly "free," the average student loan debt is $21,000.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/u...debt-best.html

Seems you're significantly UNDER-informed.
No. Per capita HC expense in this country is 11k. Somebody has to pay it.

The bit about the college in Germany is severely funny. They actually accept way too many, it is not hard to get in at all. But then huge number drop out, that's the system, but everybody gets a chance.

As opposed to you I'm informed. And I also understand math. I pay 12k property taxes (most of it for K12, all of this is covered with income taxes in other countries). About Europe, I said essentially zero, you know when it is like 50 times less.

Actually American kid, should not be able to go to college in Germany inexpensively, since no taxes were paid in. The really need to fix that.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:47 AM

6,403 posts, read 4,136,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

I'm sorry, but this is a very simplistic view of how capitalism works.

Allow me to tell you about capitalism from my perspective.

I'm an engineer working in an engineering firm. My employer secures contracts for engineering projects and I work on these projects. I get paid for the work I do, benefits like insurance and retirement, etc. My employer charges the clients about 3x what I make. So, my employer is able to make a profit from my labor. I also profit from it with my salary.

My husband and I own a business. A real estate business to be specific. We buy distressed properties, spend real money to have contractors fix them up, and rent them out. Our tenants pay us each month. And in return, they get to live in a home with all the appliances and whatnot provided.

Dave Ramsey put it best. In capitalism, you make money by serving others and get paid for your services. At its core, it is actually a very moral system.

Do I believe in unregulated capitalism? Of course not. It's human nature to look for every possible way to maximize benefits/profits, including cheat. We need regulators to make sure everyone gets a fair chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies