Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:35 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Make up your mind. Is it one or the other.
Please exercise some common sense.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:36 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My high school was about 85% White / 15% Black with a few other groups and some first or second generation immigrants. A high Iranian (he preferred term Persian) half White American guy lived down the street from me. His name sounded like "sh*t yard" and he was taunted with that term often on the bus. A Chinese guy was sometimes called a squirrel, one teacher heard the taunt and berated the offending student. One guy had Ethiopian Jewish parents and was taunted by other Black students for being Jewish. As previously stated I was constantly taunted for having moved from a rural area and having a country accent. I think kids in general are mean and without proper adult supervision will be very hateful over any difference. Kids are heat seeking missiles when it comes to targeting those different from the 'group'.
Very true. Thank you for sharing.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:52 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I remember my staff being told that a person wanted to talk to the "American" one (meaning not me) even though I was born here... It's okay, I hear the crap many times before... Usually from Democrats...
I have to call bs on that one- sorry. I think that having someone to understand when conversing cuts across party lines. Anytime that I end up with Cust Service for certain companies, I know that I’m going to end up talking with someone in a foreign country for better or for worse- companies always cutting costs. . Has anyone ever simply asked the reason why this customer won’t talk to you and refers to you that way?
I can recall 2 occasions (at least that I was aware of) where they did not want to deal with me because I am Mex-American (or had a Spanish surname), both from heavily Republican areas. One was in Monrovia, Calif that I only talked with on the phone. An honest coworker told me that the same person agreed to an appointment with her and asked her if her name was “Italian”? She was really Mex-American too, yet anglicized her name when she spoke. My supervisor (a Filipina) ended up running the appointment and coding the sale. Knowing the back story, she asked the woman why she wouldn’t let me come out instead? The woman said that she “didn’t like people with brown eyes”. Supervisor told her “But I have brown eyes”- lol.

Second one was a shriveled old white woman (rural San Antonio, Tex) that I met with who I didn’t close on the first visit. When I followed up with her on the phone after the appointment, my coworker let me know the hard truth- the woman didn’t want “Mexicans” in her home. My coworker ran the appointment and gave the bigot an earful since coworker had a half-Mexican granddaughter. She told the woman that she should not be that way and that she would hate it if someone treated her granddaughter like that- grandma was not having it.

In both cases, I felt very fortunate that my coworkers cared enough to give back something to me that they each thought that I had earned.

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 07-23-2019 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Obviously whats going on here is liberal democrat 101. SOP.
Emphasize the race aspect and round up all the people who can even remotely associate themselves as victims to deflect from the real issue.
These congress "people" consistently engage in rhetoric and behavior demeaning to the country, with public statenents like we are as bad as Venezuela, or comparing detention centers to nazi concentration camps while blocking funding for improvements that could have prevented that problem. That whole issue seemed like a setup to me by democrats to assault the President and he must have been angry.
Can any of you leftists rationalize the behavior here?
All through winter, claiming what was going on at the border was a Trump manufactured "crisis", voting against emergency funding... tthen a few months later staging a PR stunt by going to these facilities and telling the world how evil Trump was because of conditions you could have done something about?
Im sorry this isnt about race or countries or going back anywhere.
Its about the absolutely childish and irresponsible behavior of these legislators.

Opposite day/week/month and the world knows it!

What's going on here is a president who is using an even more overt and blunt racism, misogyny and xenophobia than he previously used in 2016. And those attempting to twist the tables to blame the assaulted are the ones defending childish and irresponsible behavior of a president who has crossed the line of decency with his cruel and unabashed bigotry.

Trump’s naming of these women in particular is no accident. They symbolize the rising power of progressive women of color in America. Though they are all from very liberal districts, something even House Speaker Nancy Pelosi likes to point out, they represent a deep fear among the conservative base. A fear that Trump has deliberately sown and continues to harp on with his very ugly, hateful lies and race baiting tactics and web campaign onslaught.

Trump seems to believe that stoking the grievances of his base white voters is what got him victory in 2016, and he’s hoping to do it again in 2020. His speech in North Carolina indicates just how key white men are to his strategy. This cannot be denied, as he said it forthrightly at that horrific rally last week: “So these congresswomen, their comments are helping to fuel the rise of a dangerous, militant hard left. But that’s okay because we are going to win like never before". He then took the opportunity to demean and trash talk many other females in the Democratic Party. However, he always returns to the 4 freshmen women whom he has labeled and targeted for comments far less egregious than his rhetoric on the same topics over the last 4 years.

The congresswomen, who are Trump's current enemy of the people, are 4 voices with 4 votes. The Democratic Party is not identifying with them. This is the GOP and Trump strategy to make conservatives afraid of 4 women of color with different sounding names and religions and brown skin. President Trump is utilizing slurs and deliberate twisting of their words and comments as evidence they don't love America. This is wrong! This is untrue!

Most of the oft repeated, fabricated statements being attributed to these women are GOP talking points. They are outrageous mischaracterizations and widely slung innuendo being used not only to stir fear in Trump baseland, but to gather the conservative aggrieved who are doing a mighty fine job of playing the victim while pointing the finger.

Trump is totally transparent to most of America as he seeks to enhance the divide and keep an all too willing base crying victimhood. It truly is the opposite of qualities real patriots desire in a leader!

Liberalism 101 you say: Yep it is indeed standing up for America's liberties and civil rights and fairness and equality. Trump Party: Birtherism Repeat!

Last edited by corpgypsy; 07-24-2019 at 02:27 AM..

Old 07-24-2019, 10:43 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/2...-ilhan-omar%2F

ilness omar says: "we are citizens & can't be deported, why don't we deport you to where ever you came from"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies