Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:58 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,324 times

Advertisements

Can't we still have free speech without disrespecting others race, sexual orientation, gender and so on...?

But on the other hand, isn't disrepecting others race, sexual orientation and gender protected by free speech?

I am so confused I can't see straight anymore.

Where is this country headed? I am curious what other people have to say about this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 05:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
Can't we still have free speech without disrespecting others race, sexual orientation, gender and so on...?

But on the other hand, isn't disrepecting others race, sexual orientation and gender protected by free speech?

I am so confused I can't see straight anymore.

Where is this country headed? I am curious what other people have to say about this issue.
Yes it is protected. You can, if you want, dress up in a white sheet and walk through Harlem and yell "ni**er" all you want. You can dress up in a Nazi uniform and march through a community full of Jewish Halocaust survivors. You can go to the sidewalk in front of the sacred ground of Arlington Cemetary and spit on and burn an American flag. You can picket the funeral of a soldier. In short, you have all the rights you want to make a complete ass of yourself in a public place and I fully 100% support your right to do so.
But when you bring it into the workplace or my kid's classroom, don't be surprised at what may happen to you. That is where your rights end and ours begin.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yes it is protected. You can, if you want, dress up in a white sheet and walk through Harlem and yell "ni**er" all you want. You can dress up in a Nazi uniform and march through a community full of Jewish Halocaust survivors. You can go to the sidewalk in front of the sacred ground of Arlington Cemetary and spit on and burn an American flag. You can picket the funeral of a soldier. In short, you have all the rights you want to make a complete ass of yourself in a public place and I fully 100% support your right to do so.
But when you bring it into the workplace or my kid's classroom, don't be surprised at what may happen to you. That is where your rights end and ours begin.
Yes but more specifically there is a huge epidemic in this country going on where you cannot say virtually anything without affending someone. Then the offended people take it to the extreme by quickly accusing that person of being racist, sexist, homophobic ect without getting the facts which further divides us as a nation.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:43 PM

For example.... how could a network legally pull "Dog The Bounty Hunter" off the air for legal language used in his home? I say this even though I STRONGLY disagree with his statements. Its not about race at this point. It is about a much bigger issue, freedom of speech.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
For example.... how could a network legally pull "Dog The Bounty Hunter" off the air for legal language used in his home? I say this even though I STRONGLY disagree with his statements. Its not about race at this point. It is about a much bigger issue, freedom of speech.
It is a private business with which he had a contract with that has a "public morals" clause that states that he will not act or say things that bring embarassment to his employer. Such things are common. We had a female DJ at a rap station here that was stopped and arrested for having no license and possession of marijuana. She was fired for the same reason and she is black.
Freedom of speech only protects you from GOVERNMENT. Not from private employers. It says the GOVERNMENT will not punish you. But you can bet your bottom line that, if I ran a business and one of my employees was shown burning a flag or at a neo Nazi rally, he would not be my employee come Monday morning.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
It is a private business with which he had a contract with that has a "public morals" clause that states that he will not act or say things that bring embarassment to his employer. Such things are common. We had a female DJ at a rap station here that was stopped and arrested for having no license and possession of marijuana. She was fired for the same reason and she is black.
Freedom of speech only protects you from GOVERNMENT. Not from private employers. It says the GOVERNMENT will not punish you. But you can bet your bottom line that, if I ran a business and one of my employees was shown burning a flag or at a neo Nazi rally, he would not be my employee come Monday morning.
Yes but what are "public morals"? Does that include when someone secretly records the conversation and releases it to the media?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:02 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
In the past six months, I've seen demands for Santa Claus to be skinny so as not to let little children think that being "fat" is OK.And the "Cookie Monster" has been asked to push fruit and veggies; otherwise, children will be unduly influenced to eat nothing but cookies! My goodness, I grew up with a fat Santa and a cookie-chomping monster but somehow I've never become fat nor lived solely on cookies. Imagine that!

Yes, the PC-ness has become absolutely ridiculous and intrusive. It comes from the notion that people are naturally stupid, insensitive, and downright nasty so they need threats, lawsuits, and constant minding to be tolerable.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:11 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Let me get this straight...you're suggesting I could drive my huge, mud-splattered SUV.....complete with an American flag on the antenna... with "America- Love it or Leave it" and "Bush / Cheney" and "USMC..Semper Fi"...bumperstickers....loudly blaring musical selections from "The Charley Daniels Band" from my loud speaker, with the carcass of a freshly-killed deer tied across my hood....and I could then turn down the main street of Berkeley, California,....and that I "ought" to be able to do this, and that nobody "should" bother me?

Are you SURE I'd be OK?......I don't know.....hmmmm

Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Let me get this straight...you're suggesting I could drive my huge, mud-splattered SUV.....complete with an American flag on the antenna... with "America- Love it or Leave it" and "Bush / Cheney" and "USMC..Semper Fi"...bumperstickers....loudly blaring musical selections from "The Charley Daniels Band" from my loud speaker, with the carcass of a freshly-killed deer tied across my hood....and I could then turn down the main street of Berkeley, California,....and that I "ought" to be able to do this, and that nobody "should" bother me?

Are you SURE I'd be OK?......I don't know.....hmmmm
Heh, your post reminded me of a TV show I enjoy on BBC America. Anyone else a fan of "Top Gear"?

Anyhoo, the lads came to America, bought inexpensive cars and drove through the deep South. Heh, at one point, they decided to "dress up" their cars with slogans and such painted on them, such as "Country music sucks" and "I'm bisexual" painted in pink, to see what would happen. Uh, let's just say they had quite a following! They were truly afraid they weren't going to make it out of town without being killed or seriously injured.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Well, the military is not welcome near Berkeley, so doubt a patriotic Charlie Daniels wannabe would be either!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies