Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 05:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times

Advertisements

Because politics is like sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 05:40 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
It's a good question. Angry democrats in particular are wasting their time and energy thinking that if the scream loud enough and stomp their feet long enough, Trump is going to be impeached.

Ain't happening, and their time would be better served doing something else.
Impeachment proceeding aren't really the topic, but whether the impeachment makes it through the Senate (unlikely), he needs to be held accountable for his actions. No man is above the law. Precedents are being set for future generations for what these politicians are able to get away with.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:43 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,414,705 times
I have never argued sports or politics for that matter, Im not into either one that much. I do know crazy when I see it.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:52 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,942 times
Lack of control itself can spark so much anger. Anger is often the go-to emotion when some feel things aren't going their way and there's nothing they can do about it.

So why do they participate in online rants with other angry people?

Misery loves company.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:56 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeAJones View Post
I have a client that is in a constant state of anger, and any time he sees me, starts ranting about something he saw on the news. His blood pressure is in the 155/110 range. I have commented to him more than once that his obsession with this is not only a non-productive use of his time, but it's also detrimental to his health. I have encouraged him to read the serenity prayer, explaining that it makes more sense to live his life by these principles. I'm including it in this post for those that haven't heard it....

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

I told him he seems to have a hard time really understanding the final line as he does not seem to comprehend the difference between focusing on things he has control over and not focusing on things he has no control over.

Another friend of mine in the tech industry commented that roughly 80% of the things in life, we have no control over and 20% we do. And yet, most people focus on the 80%.

So I'm curious, why do some of you (especially the posters that spend hours on in, on forums like this) spend so much time over things that you really have no control over.

From a political sense, you have one opportunity to make a change regarding the Presidency (and that is every 4 years in November). The 2016 election has been over for 3 years. 2020 is another election. Perhaps a better way to go about it would be to exercise your right to vote when the time comes. After that, it's out of your hands and complaining is not going to change anything.
Futility demands an equal and opposite response
The greater the sense of powerlessness—the greater the desire to fill the void with response
There are better ways to use that energy but most people only want to vent — not work at positive possibles

Old 08-06-2019, 06:26 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Because it’s entertaining!

Old 08-06-2019, 06:37 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
Yes there is the entertainment factor and the debate keeps my wits sharp. As far as this stuff effecting my day to day "real life" however my philosophy is that "this isn't my world, I'm just along for the ride". I like the good debate but when "my side" loses an election I don't become unhinged like so many do. The sun will rise for another day.

People who cannot accept that they are not entitled to win every election are hellbent on tearing this country apart to get what they want and it isn't healthy. Impotent rage and determination leads to violence so people can give their frustrations a physical element that they think cannot be ignored.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Things I have control over I don't need to discuss.

I like talking politics because it allows an exchange of ideas, sometimes you learn new stuff, sometimes you see a different perspective and venting. If I can't control an issue, being able to express my frustration is a good thing for me.

We all approach life differently. We all have different things we rant/rage about.

Some folks complain about how other folks deal with life, some of us shrug and say -- meh that's how they live.

When I first moved to the USA I had some really great discussions with folks on guns/gun control that changed the way I looked at it. Sometimes you look at things differently when someone can present a reasonable perspective that is different.

So why come to a message board with 'politics' as the main topic if you don't want to see folks talk politics - -for whatever reason they choose? LOL.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:08 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Outstanding post/points. Forums like this allow you to ventilate. It also helps to see others might actually share our point of view. And you might even learn a thing or two - or gain insight that you wouldn't otherwise have had. As far as the FB comment, I have the same issue- I don't put anything on FB political.
The problem here, is that’s all they do is vent. They don’t want to learn and they don’t care about solutions. They just want to spout partisan opinions and think they are right. It’s a bad exercise and i doubt it’s healthy. If you can’t talk politics around the people you know you’re doing it wrong, or you are just a bad person that isn’t interested in the good of the people. We have too many “do for me and me only” on this board.
Voting for change is easy.
Knowing that people are out there that want the country back in the 1950s, that we can’t control. It’s a shame it exists 70 years later though.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:44 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
The problem here, is that’s all they do is vent. They don’t want to learn and they don’t care about solutions. They just want to spout partisan opinions and think they are right. It’s a bad exercise and i doubt it’s healthy. If you can’t talk politics around the people you know you’re doing it wrong, or you are just a bad person that isn’t interested in the good of the people. We have too many “do for me and me only” on this board.
Voting for change is easy.
Knowing that people are out there that want the country back in the 1950s, that we can’t control. It’s a shame it exists 70 years later though.
"Doing it wrong" meaning having the wrong opinion in too many cases. When people start calling anyone who disagrees with them a racist, there's no discussion to be had. My political discussions amount to saying "a pox on both houses" and refusing to elaborate more. The few people I disagree with who have tried to get political have said enough for me to know any disagreement will not be taken in a rational manner. That isn't me doing it wrong, that's them being unhinged. One guy I get along very well with started his attempted conversation off with the statement that "haters and fascists need to have their heads bashed in". A normally well mannered guy at that. I just gave him the old "I'm just along for the ride" bit and changed the subject. He wasn't going to hear anything I had to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies