Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 04:25 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Michael Moore-backed Doc, ‘Planet of the Humans,’ Tackles ‘False Promises’ of Green Energy

The film, which does not yet have distribution, is a low-budget but piercing examination of what the filmmakers say are the false promises of the environmental movement and why we’re still “addicted” to fossil fuels.

Gibbs, who produced Moore’s Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11, didn’t set out to take on the environmental movement. He said he wanted to know why things weren’t getting better. But when he started pulling on the thread, he and Moore said they were shocked to find how inextricably entangled alternative energy is with coal and natural gas, since they say everything from wind turbines to electric car charging stations are tethered to the grid, and even how two of the Koch brothers — Charles and David — are tied to solar panel production through their glass production business.

“It turned out the wakeup call was about our own side,” Gibbs said in a phone interview. “It was kind of crushing to discover that the things I believed in weren’t real, first of all, and then to discover not only are the solar panels and wind turbines not going to save us … but (also) that there is this whole dark side of the corporate money… It dawned on me that these technologies were just another profit center.

Both know the film is going to be a “tough pill to swallow.” It was a difficult eye-opener for them as well.

Go figure... he may be actually getting it.

Moore is finally growing up and actually learning real some real info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 04:50 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Michael Moore-backed Doc, ‘Planet of the Humans,’ Tackles ‘False Promises’ of Green Energy

The film, which does not yet have distribution, is a low-budget but piercing examination of what the filmmakers say are the false promises of the environmental movement and why we’re still “addicted” to fossil fuels.

Gibbs, who produced Moore’s Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11, didn’t set out to take on the environmental movement. He said he wanted to know why things weren’t getting better. But when he started pulling on the thread, he and Moore said they were shocked to find how inextricably entangled alternative energy is with coal and natural gas, since they say everything from wind turbines to electric car charging stations are tethered to the grid, and even how two of the Koch brothers — Charles and David — are tied to solar panel production through their glass production business.

“It turned out the wakeup call was about our own side,” Gibbs said in a phone interview. “It was kind of crushing to discover that the things I believed in weren’t real, first of all, and then to discover not only are the solar panels and wind turbines not going to save us … but (also) that there is this whole dark side of the corporate money… It dawned on me that these technologies were just another profit center.

Both know the film is going to be a “tough pill to swallow.” It was a difficult eye-opener for them as well.

Go figure... he may be actually getting it.

Moore is finally growing up and actually learning real some real info.
Quote:
...there is this whole dark side of the corporate money… It dawned on me that these technologies were just another profit center.
Duh! We've been saying this for years.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:54 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Yep, there’s something about darkness and solar energy that folks don’t understand.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:02 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"Moore is finally growing up and actually..." making more money.
he is a 1%er. if he was not, he would Give It All Away.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:47 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Duh! We've been saying this for years.
Beat me to it!

I love solar and wind energy (especially on a small scale), but I don't have any illusions about its limitations - at least for now.

Like everything else coming out of DC, it's intended to be a giant ****ing slush fund for the friends of the people we send to Washington.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times
thorium salt reactors small portable ones of a size that can be fit in a semi-trailer and made fairly cheaply

Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 AM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
thorium salt reactors small portable ones of a size that can be fit in a semi-trailer and made fairly cheaply
That’s a bit of an overstatement, but Ivanpah proves that solar can be viable well into the night. It’s not baseload, but it’s still a great supplement. Ironically, environmentalists were the ones to downplay it after the mirrors cooked some birds. The operators corrected but the greenies still won’t bite.

I forgot about Michael Moore, He Who Comes To A Conclusion First And Edits A Doc To Support It.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:28 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Beat me to it!

I love solar and wind energy (especially on a small scale), but I don't have any illusions about its limitations - at least for now.

Like everything else coming out of DC, it's intended to be a giant ****ing slush fund for the friends of the people we send to Washington.
I'm all for diversifying energy sources (especially without government funds)... but the whole "sky is falling" approach has been total nonsense from the beginning.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:34 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Not all for big Government and the Government dipping their hands into Businesses

Though I do feel should be one of their goals is supporting and preserving the environment.

I mean I be for tax discounts on businesses that meet various environmental standards

Making large farms and businesses pay or repay the U.S. for any negative environmental impact

Work along side private and non profit organizations to better preserve and protect protected open lands

Protect threatened or endangered species habitats in the U.S. Work with States in doing so.

Maintain Clean Water and Air Act.

Work towards banning plastic bags and straws. Encourage cost effective solutions to plastic bottles.

Work Globally with research in utilizing Nuclear Fusion as an energy source.

Work towards having more alternative fuel vehicles on the road. Support research in finding alternative energy sources for vehicles.

Tax discounts for those driving an alternative fuel vehicle.

Support expansion of rail services.

Support research in finding alternative environmentally friendly energy sources.

Fund training for alternative energy job's.

Bring back the Civilian Conversation Corp. Individuals can work unpaid receive stipends for food and housing is also provided. Work includes improving infrastructure, improving National Parks & Forest, various and environmental clean ups. Also including work and training that involves maintaining/installing various alternative energy sources.

I support if State Government had more a hand in the pot of regulations regarding farming, oil drilling, and mining. However, State's have to have part of the accountability and remidiating any negative environmental impacts.

Also preserve and prevebt development of protected open spaces.

Encourage development and implementation of sustainable farming techniques.

Encourage States and Cities to work towards possibilities of implementing more open spaces and plant life in Cities.

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-12-2019 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 06:38 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
We're "addicted to fossil fuels" because politicians determine everyones energy sources. If you want alternatives, get them out of it.
I doubt moore understands that, and like most others of his ilk wants politicians to impose his vision of alternative energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies