Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what do you think of combining the minimum wage and UBI?
yes, this is an idea worth exploring. 7 10.61%
no, leave the minimum wage as is. Let the politicos continue to grandstand and the low-wage workers continue to suffer. 11 16.67%
eliminate the minimum wage and instead unionize for higher wages, as has been done in Sweden and other countries. 4 6.06%
eliminate the minimum wage period, and let the market work. 36 54.55%
other (please explain below). 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 07:57 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times

Advertisements

Would you support a combination minimum wage/universal basic income?

For which country?

I support them for Venezuela and China. It will polish their governments off sooner, and give their people a chance (maybe) to pick a government that doesn't try to steal from some citizens just to give it to others.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:01 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Brings up an old political cartoon.

A fast-food manager is standing there, surrounded by his crew. Half a dozen people with brooms, aprons, a spatula etc.

He says, "I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new minimum-wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Old 08-18-2019, 05:42 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,307,757 times
Travis T, it's unfeasible to pass a universal basic income bill prior to a federal minimum wage rate of sufficiently greater purchasing power than it's February-1968 peak, that's automatically monitored and annually retained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Mircea, the minimum wage rate is applied to the least desirable employee or applicant for the least challenging job. They are the people in the poorest of negotiating positions.
Due to the concepts of wage differentials, U.S. Federal minimum rate affects USA's all other wage rates.

USA's median family income's purchasing power is highly indicative of our living standards and is greatly affected by the purchasing power of our median rate, (which in turn is affected by the purchasing power of the minimum wage rate).
If the purchasing power of the minimum wage rate is poorer, the median rate and the living standards of the nation are consequentially poorer than otherwise.

Although I prefer a targeted purchasing power to eventually become significantly greater than that of the minimum's February-1968 rate, U.S. House Resolution #528 does not displease me.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:01 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Nobody is forcing anyone to take a low paying job. If everyone were to refuse to work for company XX due to their low wages, said company will have no option other than to offer wages at a rate acceptable to workers.

This.

Everyone has to negotiate for their wages.

All minimum wage hikes do is screw everyone who makes more than minimum wage and provide government with more taxes.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
However, most people don't know how to negotiate a good wage for themselves, and end up getting the short end of the stick.

Maybe they would know how if we actually taught it in schools instead of crap like gender studies etc.

Make then negotiate for their first job right off the bat instead of expecting a guaranteed minimum just for showing up and clocking in.

If we instilled in people from a young age that how much money they make is entirely up to them......

We wouldn't need minimum wage.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The concept reminds me of Neal Stephanson's novel Diamond Age. In this future setting, nearly every possible human need could be satisfied through nanotechnology manufacturing at essentially zero cost. This made it all but impossible for most people to find work, so basic needs were supplied through a resource feed that could be used to manufacture food, make furniture, and so forth.

https://blog.p2pfoundation.net/a-p2p...age/2017/08/03

Will this future come to be? I don't know, but it seems at least somewhat plausible.

I think something like that will happen eventually.

Maybe not nano tech specifically, but advances in technology are already making it a challenge to keep people, and especially low skilled people employed.

It's just doesn't take as many people to sustain the economy as it used to.

And this trend will only continue, making more and more people working simply unnecessary.

That is, if we don't manage to destroy ourselves first.

So I think that something akin to UBI is kind of inevitable eventually.

But that doesn't mean that we are ready to go there yet.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I'd be all for eliminating the minimum wage except for one thing. We lived for a few years in rural NC. There were not enough jobs, and a lot of employers paid minimum because people needed jobs. It appeared the employers kind of conspired together to keep the pay low.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'd be all for eliminating the minimum wage except for one thing. We lived for a few years in rural NC. There were not enough jobs, and a lot of employers paid minimum because people needed jobs. It appeared the employers kind of conspired together to keep the pay low.

So, don't live in rural NC.

This is why I left Upstate NY many years ago.

It's called voting with your feet.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:00 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Voted other:

Raise the minimum wage to $5 (Tip Worker's) & $10 (Non-Tip Worker's)

Exempt income under $20,000 from being taxed

20% income tax

2.5% national sales tax with a Constitutional Amendment saying it can never go over 5%

$1,000 a year rebate to those making State or Federal minimum wage and have one dependent. Can receive between $1,000 to $5,000 up to 5 dependents

Old 08-18-2019, 08:36 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,307,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Augiedogie, North Carolina's minimum wage rate is the federal rate. If there were no federal rate, it's not unlikely that there'd be no minimum NC rate. Particularly, if South Carolina, and/or Tennessee, and/or Virginia had a lesser or no legally enforced minimum wage rate, a NC minimum rate would be more difficult to enforce and sustain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
The Federal Minimum Wage Rate.
… Delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention determined a federal law was necessary for reducing the economic harm that a U.S. State may deliberately or inadvertently inflict upon any other State, particularly an adjoining state.
… If there's no definite legally enforced minimum wage rate, the effective minimum rate's an indefinite theoretical market-determined rate that may and likely will, (in the absence of labor shortages), too often race down to an “extremely poor bottom”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies