Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 01:02 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,652,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Got a link?
Just answer the simple question, do you believe NOAA has adjusted the data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 01:05 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,125,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So before you get me with a trick question. Data can be adjusted based on new findings.
If your asking if they maliciously adjusted data just to cheat, then no. Unless you got a link to prove otherwise..

Old 08-21-2019, 01:07 PM

5,992 posts, read 2,247,824 times
All those retirees in Ft Lauderdale and Miami are already nervous. Regular rain now floods the streets and causes deer backups.

If anyone wants to see what exploitation of northerners moving south with money looks like, just look at places like Marco island and Naples in Florida.

Just google pictures of homes on the water and tell me that those people are safe from a 1 foot sea level rise. Let’s not mention hurricanes. Imagine the damage totals for hitting places like that. Your tax dollars will be used to bail these places out as well.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:10 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,652,820 times
Quote:
So before you get me with a trick question. Data can be adjusted based on new findings.
If your asking if they maliciously adjusted data just to cheat, then no. Unless you got a link to prove otherwise..
They take temperature readings and adjust the numbers. The adjustments aren't because the censors were found to be faulty, transcribed wrong or anything along those lines.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:13 PM

18,499 posts, read 8,322,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
fact....for the past 140 years...global temperatures have increased at the rate of 71/10,000th of a degree a year

NASA's anomaly rate is even less....... 57/10,000th of a degree a year

...everything else is weather
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
According to the hockey stick diagram, the temperature anomaly is around 0.8 degrees; divide by 140 and you get: 0.0057 = 57/1,000th of a degree. It looks like you were off by an order of magnitude.

nope...0.8 divided by 140 = 0.0057......57/10,000th of a degree per year

Old 08-21-2019, 01:14 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,948,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Poor analogy... especially when we have commercial growers pumping CO2 at 1200 ppm into their greenhouses to grow their crops.
Increased CO2 levels are not some universal panacea. Plants which are exposed to higher CO2 levels generally require more water and creates a demand for mineral resources in the soil. For many species of plants, leaves grown under enhanced CO2 became prematurely chlorotic (meaning the leaves turn pale and less efficient at photosynthesis), which is due to nutrient dilution resulting from the rapid growth rate. Levels of CO2 over 1200 ppm will start killing more plants than helping them.

In addition, the vast majority of agricultural crops are not grown in greenhouses where ambient gas concentrations can be carefully controlled. Tell the farmers who are now suffering from horrific crop losses due to flooding associated with the changing climate just how great the extra CO2 in the air has been for their crop productivity.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:16 PM

2,066 posts, read 903,305 times
Quote:

Give it up, Pedro, arguing with AGW Zealots is a waste of your time, it is their RELIGION.

Rainy season ? OMG GLOBAL WARMING
Dry season ? OMG GLOBAL WARMING
Windy ? OMG GLOBAL WARMING
Mild winter ? OMG GLOBAL WARMING
Bitter winter ? OMG GLOBAL WARMING
Tropical storms ? OMG GLOBAL WARMING
Hurricane ? OMG GLOBAL WARMING
Only one or two tropical storms ? OMG GLOBAL WARMING
Hotter than average ? OMG GLOBAL WARMING
Cooler than average ? OMG GLOBAL WARMING

If they focused their efforts on eco-issues unrelated to their idolatry, I'd be with them lock-step, such as
- Cleaning up huge swaths of garbage floating in the oceans
- Cutting away dead brush and controlled burns to limit wildfires
- Technology to predict tsunamis, minimize coastal deaths
- etc

Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,125,642 times
Quote:
They take temperature readings and adjust the numbers. The adjustments aren't because the censors were found to be faulty, transcribed wrong or anything along those lines.
Got a source?

Old 08-21-2019, 01:19 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,179,584 times
Quote:
And "climate" scientists can't give specific numbers either, so you're right, AGW is bunk.
They can and do give specific numbers... Where have you been?

Old 08-21-2019, 01:19 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,824,599 times
Quote:
Your right that there are drawbacks. But your degree as an electrical engineer doesn’t give you credibility over the scientists. At the very least you can work with them and help find a solution.

So we’re in a catch22. Either way many people are gonna die or become displaced.

Here’s to hoping your too much into conspiracy theory mode.

Simply converting ALL internal combustion engine driven equipment would require our electric grid infrastructure and electric generation to increase likely by 8 to 10 times of what we currently have. We CANNOT generate our current need of electricity with just hydro, wind and solar, regardless of how much wind and solar we build for grid scale transmission and distribution because the grid WILL collapse on such a regular basis, then with each collapse there will be a multi day attempt to synchronize all the different legs of the grid, just to re-energize the transmission lines, only to collapse again before we would be able to close breakers to heat up the distribution lines, etc.

Like I said, most of you have no idea what it takes to reliably generate, transmit and distribute electricity at a grid scale.

Maybe your idea is for everyone to buy roughly $100K to $150K worth of solar and wind generation for each home and each small business, PLUS 5 or more Tesla Wall II's at about $10K each because the sun probably won't be shining when you want to charge up your cute little electric car. Hold on a minute... maybe we should rethink the Tesla solar panels and the Tesla Wall batteries because I just read how Walmart is suing Tesla because their solar panels are failing and starting fires on some of the Walmart stores roofs the where they're installed.

Look, as far as coming up with solutions goes... I would LOVE for there to be some fantastic invention that could generate electricity in an efficient, reliable and economic manner, but that doesn't exist. Engineers and scientists alike must work within the known constraints of physics UNLESS some new laws of physics come along which we aren't yet aware.

It's no different than when I was in plumbing before getting into engineering. We were taught, and had to live by, "Sh t flows down hill." It has to do with that gravity thing that Sir Isaac Newton discovered. So as it is right now, the soil pipe coming out of your home will typically flow downhill at between 1/4" per foot to 1/8" per foot to get to the city sewer or even to your septic tank. I suppose people could install sewage ejectors under their homes and then pipe their soil pipes uphill using extra energy at an extra cost and having to replace their sewage ejectors every few years because, you know, pumps fail... and that nasty sewage would come back on you as you pulled the old pump... unless you spent even more money installing line sized ball valves (any other valve would risk interfering with the flow which would increase the chance of pump failure) OR... we can accept the physics of gravity and Sh t flows down hill, letting gravity do a lot of work for us, saving ourselves a lot of hassle and expense.

So I guess in the world of plumbing there IS a potential solution because it would be doable. However in the world of the electric grid, there is no known solution that will work without burning fossil fuels or building up a ton of nuclear generation (the nuclear is a decent idea but is extremely expensive and the majority would reject the idea simply because it's nuclear) to go with hydro, solar and wind.

That said, I repeat, I would absolutely LOVE it if someone would invent some incredible device that could generate affordable and reliable electricity. However, I think it would be wise to wait until the magic, unicorn fart powered unobtainium power cell is invented, tested and proven before we destroy our current energy system, hoping something will save us.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Last edited by KS_Referee; 08-21-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies