Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:18 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
They can do what they want. Brazil is a sovereign nation. End of subject. If they ask for help, we the world needs to help.
When a nation's actions threatens other nations their sovereignty is no longer a defense. I don't think you realize our own nation's survival long-term is at stake here as well. Our vital agricultural areas in the west and midwest will be facing droughts that will threaten our food supply if the Amazon is lost. Many of the drugs we rely on in modern medicine will be lost. The droughts I mentioned already will lead to even more catastrophic wildfires. I don't give a hoot if Brazil is a country or what its people want, it's not just about them and their short term desires nor their president's financial interests. I see nothing wrong with global military intervention to protect the Amazon if it becomes necessary.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:56 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The fact that the losses in the Amazon are totally offset by more trees in America, Europe and China eludes you?

Brazil is a very poor country. Let them do what is necessary to survive. Where I live they are turning natural habitat into new subdivisions hurting local wildlife. Its sad but its what people want. The Amazon may one day no longer exist which is terrible but its just the way things go.

https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a8486096.html

Forests chopped down in tropics outweighed by more trees in regions which were previously too cold
Don't understand ecology, do you?

Old 08-24-2019, 05:42 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Countries threatening sanctions now. Perhaps Brazil should put sanctions on France and force France to replant all the forest it has cut down over the centuries.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:15 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
The Brazilian government is losing it, they are now resorting to personal insults of Macron's wife etc.

The idea that we give Brazil money now to fight the fires is odd. Bolsonaro pretends to be the helpless victim when in reality he is the 'moral arsonist', who has not changed his views at all. At least he is forced to act now, thanks to the mounting pressure.

Heard an incredibly stupid quote from a lumberjack today, he said, we don't miss the dinosaurs, so why would anyone miss those trees?

Old 08-26-2019, 01:19 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
When a nation's actions threatens other nations their sovereignty is no longer a defense. I don't think you realize our own nation's survival long-term is at stake here as well. Our vital agricultural areas in the west and midwest will be facing droughts that will threaten our food supply if the Amazon is lost. Many of the drugs we rely on in modern medicine will be lost. The droughts I mentioned already will lead to even more catastrophic wildfires. I don't give a hoot if Brazil is a country or what its people want, it's not just about them and their short term desires nor their president's financial interests. I see nothing wrong with global military intervention to protect the Amazon if it becomes necessary.
So invade and overthrow their government?

Old 08-26-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So invade and overthrow their government?
No, but put pressure on them.
Why put sanctions on North Korea? Because of the international risk atomic bombs pose.
Brazil's behavior is also posing an international risk, a much bigger one than a few atomic bombs.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:22 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Breaking news...Amazon deforestation since 1982. Curse you Trump!!!!!!!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/amazo...m-JDfa9l1bfjv6

Old 08-26-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, but put pressure on them.
Why put sanctions on North Korea? Because of the international risk atomic bombs pose.
Brazil's behavior is also posing an international risk, a much bigger one than a few atomic bombs.
First, it's not our job to police North Korea.

Second, by putting the poor of Brazil in a worse financial situation, they are more likely to exploit the rain forests.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
First, it's not our job to police North Korea.

Second, by putting the poor of Brazil in a worse financial situation, they are more likely to exploit the rain forests.
As far as I know, the sanctions on NK are still in place...

Nobody seems to care about the poor in Venezuela, who don't have enough to eat because of the sanctions.

The Amazon region is very sparsely populated, the overwhelming bulk of Brazilians live in cities far away from the Amazon. So, no, nobody moves from Rio to the Amazon because of poverty, to the contrary.
Most Brazilians are rather snobbish, they dislike simple people such as farmers, miners and lumberjacks, they surely don't want those jobs and exploit the Amazon.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As far as I know, the sanctions on NK are still in place...

Nobody seems to care about the poor in Venezuela, who don't have enough to eat because of the sanctions.

The Amazon region is very sparsely populated, the overwhelming bulk of Brazilians live in cities far away from the Amazon. So, no, nobody moves from Rio to the Amazon because of poverty, to the contrary.
Most Brazilians are rather snobbish, they dislike simple people such as farmers, miners and lumberjacks, they surely don't want those jobs and exploit the Amazon.
Price hikes due to sanctions and embargoes hit the poor in rural areas the hardest. They will be the ones turning to bush meat and setting fires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies