Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 01:45 AM

109 posts, read 65,815 times

Advertisements

I have a client that is in a constant state of anger, and any time he sees me, starts ranting about something he saw on the news. His blood pressure is in the 155/110 range. I have commented to him more than once that his obsession with this is not only a non-productive use of his time, but it's also detrimental to his health. I have encouraged him to read the serenity prayer, explaining that it makes more sense to live his life by these principles. I'm including it in this post for those that haven't heard it....

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

I told him he seems to have a hard time really understanding the final line as he does not seem to comprehend the difference between focusing on things he has control over and not focusing on things he has no control over.

Another friend of mine in the tech industry commented that roughly 80% of the things in life, we have no control over and 20% we do. And yet, most people focus on the 80%.

So I'm curious, why do some of you (especially the posters that spend hours on in, on forums like this) spend so much time over things that you really have no control over.

From a political sense, you have one opportunity to make a change regarding the Presidency (and that is every 4 years in November). The 2016 election has been over for 3 years. 2020 is another election. Perhaps a better way to go about it would be to exercise your right to vote when the time comes. After that, it's out of your hands and complaining is not going to change anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 01:52 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
because they want to be right, to be loyal, to be in control, same reason they argue sports

Old 08-06-2019, 01:57 AM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
No idea. I see both sides try to hatchet job whatever talking points their tribe puts forth. It’s amazing to me both that they buy all this BS and also that they invest so much time into promoting ideas which aren’t their own.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
because they want to be right, to be loyal, to be in control, same reason they argue sports
-Who's to say if anyone is ever "right" in regards to politics?

-Why does loyalty matter as opposed to just dealing with issues?

-They are certainly not in control beyond their vote in November

Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
That's part of it - as well as many of us were brought up w/ a sense of civic duty to be educated voters, educated citizens and not to bury our heads in the sand. Some of us grew up learning history - particularly WWII history were the citizens didn't take action when the gov't got out of control. Also, with history and what our founding fathers had in mind, we're loyal to the country and want to continue the values/ideals that they had for the country.

But you're right, to a point, things aren't in our control and it would be best to limit the amount of exposure one has to any media source/internet.

Part of the problem we face today is from apathy - voters don't vote or pay attention to the issues leaving sometimes a minority of eligible voters deciding who the leaders of the country are (40-60% turnout).

As far as posting here - some of us are at a point in our lives that allow us the free time to do so. Others are probably posting from work (if I were their employer, wouldn't be happy about that).

I do know a lot of folks in their final chapters of their lives (oldtimers) who spend a lot of time stressing over the news/politics and have a great life with income/social security/health care ---everything is perfect - and they're still complaining about this or that. I tell them to tune it all out and enjoy their final years. I recently lost a 80+ yr old acquaintance friend who would forward all kinds of anti-Obama email trash to me until his dying day.

Sad that he couldn't find anything better to do w/ his final years of life.

Last edited by TBMorgan; 08-06-2019 at 03:08 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeAJones View Post
-Who's to say if anyone is ever "right" in regards to politics?

-Why does loyalty matter as opposed to just dealing with issues?

-They are certainly not in control beyond their vote in November

Huh?

History shows who is right, who isn't. Civil War, WWII, Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Loyalty gets in the way of dealing with issues. This is true.

There's more to just voting - you can influence the votes of others. One can actively petition or sign petitions at the local level. Just had an old vet at my local library with four different petitions to get some issues on our FL state ballot (min wage was one).......

Just getting those types of issues on the ballot draw out more voters. Michigan/Detroit used referendums to bring out the voters and improved turnout tremendously. Perhaps in 2020, referendums like minimum wage will bring out voters here in FL and we can make drastic changes locally, state, and nationally and vote people in or out of office.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...ut/1894820002/

Old 08-06-2019, 03:20 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
A number of things.

First of all, we want to be heard. On FB, I cannot speak for I am "undercover", trying to hold on to so many friends of different and alas, oppressive opinions (if you don't agree with me, you are no friend of mine), so I bite my tongue. Here, on CD, I can speak.

Secondly, there is the hope that others might change their minds. It is probably not likely but we can hope.

Third, the other day when I was at the range, something angered me and I let that anger continued, so I could train with it present. I could have deactivated it, mind over matter, but I wanted to train with it.THE OTHER THING to it, however, is that mind over matter comes with a cost.

Deactivating it, burying it, sweeping it under the rug doesn't get rid of it, but has it somewhere to disrupt the body further down the line. Not so sure with deactivating it but the other approaches? I've done that and have faced the consequences later.

So, some can argue it and perhaps.....get it out of their system.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
A number of things.

First of all, we want to be heard. On FB, I cannot speak for I am "undercover", trying to hold on to so many friends of different and alas, oppressive opinions (if you don't agree with me, you are no friend of mine), so I bite my tongue. Here, on CD, I can speak.

Secondly, there is the hope that others might change their minds. It is probably not likely but we can hope.

Third, the other day when I was at the range, something angered me and I let that anger continued, so I could train with it present. I could have deactivated it, mind over matter, but I wanted to train with it.THE OTHER THING to it, however, is that mind over matter comes with a cost.

Deactivating it, burying it, sweeping it under the rug doesn't get rid of it, but has it somewhere to disrupt the body further down the line. Not so sure with deactivating it but the other approaches? I've done that and have faced the consequences later.

So, some can argue it and perhaps.....get it out of their system.
Outstanding post/points. Forums like this allow you to ventilate. It also helps to see others might actually share our point of view. And you might even learn a thing or two - or gain insight that you wouldn't otherwise have had. As far as the FB comment, I have the same issue- I don't put anything on FB political.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:43 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeAJones View Post
I have a client that is in a constant state of anger, and any time he sees me, starts ranting about something he saw on the news. His blood pressure is in the 155/110 range. I have commented to him more than once that his obsession with this is not only a non-productive use of his time, but it's also detrimental to his health. I have encouraged him to read the serenity prayer, explaining that it makes more sense to live his life by these principles. I'm including it in this post for those that haven't heard it....

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

I told him he seems to have a hard time really understanding the final line as he does not seem to comprehend the difference between focusing on things he has control over and not focusing on things he has no control over.

Another friend of mine in the tech industry commented that roughly 80% of the things in life, we have no control over and 20% we do. And yet, most people focus on the 80%.

So I'm curious, why do some of you (especially the posters that spend hours on in, on forums like this) spend so much time over things that you really have no control over.

From a political sense, you have one opportunity to make a change regarding the Presidency (and that is every 4 years in November). The 2016 election has been over for 3 years. 2020 is another election. Perhaps a better way to go about it would be to exercise your right to vote when the time comes. After that, it's out of your hands and complaining is not going to change anything.
It's a good question. Angry democrats in particular are wasting their time and energy thinking that if the scream loud enough and stomp their feet long enough, Trump is going to be impeached.

Ain't happening, and their time would be better served doing something else.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
That's part of it - as well as many of us were brought up w/ a sense of civic duty to be educated voters, educated citizens and not to bury our heads in the sand. Some of us grew up learning history - particularly WWII history were the citizens didn't take action when the gov't got out of control. Also, with history and what our founding fathers had in mind, we're loyal to the country and want to continue the values/ideals that they had for the country.

But you're right, to a point, things aren't in our control and it would be best to limit the amount of exposure one has to any media source/internet.

Part of the problem we face today is from apathy - voters don't vote or pay attention to the issues leaving sometimes a minority of eligible voters deciding who the leaders of the country are (40-60% turnout).

As far as posting here - some of us are at a point in our lives that allow us the free time to do so. Others are probably posting from work (if I were their employer, wouldn't be happy about that).

I do know a lot of folks in their final chapters of their lives (oldtimers) who spend a lot of time stressing over the news/politics and have a great life with income/social security/health care ---everything is perfect - and they're still complaining about this or that. I tell them to tune it all out and enjoy their final years. I recently lost a 80+ yr old acquaintance friend who would forward all kinds of anti-Obama email trash to me until his dying day.

Sad that he couldn't find anything better to do w/ his final years of life.
Quote:
Huh?

History shows who is right, who isn't. Civil War, WWII, Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Loyalty gets in the way of dealing with issues. This is true.

There's more to just voting - you can influence the votes of others. One can actively petition or sign petitions at the local level. Just had an old vet at my local library with four different petitions to get some issues on our FL state ballot (min wage was one).......

Just getting those types of issues on the ballot draw out more voters. Michigan/Detroit used referendums to bring out the voters and improved turnout tremendously. Perhaps in 2020, referendums like minimum wage will bring out voters here in FL and we can make drastic changes locally, state, and nationally and vote people in or out of office.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...ut/1894820002/
Quote:
Outstanding post/points. Forums like this allow you to ventilate. It also helps to see others might actually share our point of view. And you might even learn a thing or two - or gain insight that you wouldn't otherwise have had. As far as the FB comment, I have the same issue- I don't put anything on FB political.
-Having civic duty has nothing to do with understanding things you have no control over. I know plenty people that feel a sense of civic duty and always make sure they exercise their right to vote. But they also realize that once the election is over, it's over. And dwelling/complaining about things is not going to change it. It certainly doesn't mean they are apathetic or that they are burying their head in the sand. And I really doubt that we're going to have a Boston Tea Party anytime soon.

-So if you engage or win a war, that means you're the "right" one?

-I honestly think the intent with someone attempting to get something on a ballot is to draw attention to a specific issue (nothing wrong with that). But someone doesn't usually actively seek signatures with the ulterior motive of getting a president elected.

-What difference does it make that others share your point of view? Do you feel some validation just because you're surrounded by others that agree with you (i.e. echo chamber)? It would seem to me that an open minded person would want to hear all viewpoints.

-As to changing someone's mind, I simply don't buy that is the ultimate goal as most people are so polarized at this point, that it would be an exercise if futility. I mostly see bickering as opposed to reasoning and a healthy exchange of thoughts. Without that, it is highly unlikely you will change anyone's mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies