Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 04:44 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,647,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
How much of your own money have you sent to contribute to this cause?

Answer the question that's been asked of you about 20 times.
Like I’ve said before, I’m not rich, just middle-class, but I have donated several hundred dollars to various children’s charities, which is more than I can say for you.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:49 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,677,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Like I’ve said before, I’m not rich, just middle-class, but I have donated several hundred dollars to various children’s charities, which is more than I can say for you.
Oh, typical liberal.....let me get this straight.....the wealthy should get soaked for most of the tab. Got it.

I don't donate jack, I pay taxes. I'm paying for these foreign kids' treatment against my will.

That doesn't mean I'm heartless or lack compassion.

But have you any idea the amount of sick and hungry kids in this country that need help? That's where I want my tax dollars going, helping our citizens who need (not abuse) it. And why can't liberals put them first?

Old 09-03-2019, 05:39 PM

20,765 posts, read 8,609,188 times
Donate to Doctors without Borders and similar groups to get treatment for kids in their own countries. Your money will go a lot further

Old 09-03-2019, 06:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
You paying for heart surgeries and cystic fibrosis treatments? I don't want/have to. But you're free to donate your money to them. I'm sure you could even pay online, IDK why I was telling people to "go down to the hospitals and pay" lol.

The fact that clip even aired is a disgrace.
These children are actually helping teaching hospitals to gain experience with rare and/or complicated issues.
There are a lot of programs to help people pay for things like that at teaching hospitals precisely because students/residents need to see & experience as many conditions as possible, especially if they're going to practice a specialty. It benefits US residents to have clinical staff who have seen less common conditions and been part of treating them.

https://commonwealthmagazine.org/imm...or-immigrants/

Key facts about the uninsured and underinsured citizens of the US

https://www.kff.org/uninsured/fact-s...ed-population/

Old 09-03-2019, 06:22 PM

63,010 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
These children are actually helping teaching hospitals to gain experience with rare and/or complicated issues.
There are a lot of programs to help people pay for things like that at teaching hospitals precisely because students/residents need to see & experience as many conditions as possible, especially if they're going to practice a specialty. It benefits US residents to have clinical staff who have seen less common conditions and been part of treating them.

https://commonwealthmagazine.org/imm...or-immigrants/

Key facts about the uninsured and underinsured citizens of the US

https://www.kff.org/uninsured/fact-s...ed-population/
I'm sure we have enough of our own children with rare and/or complicated issues that can be a teaching tool for our hospitals. Try again.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:25 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,150,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
There are very young children with life-threatening illnesses, and only certain hospitals here have the equipment to keep them alive. This isn’t the same as people coming over the southern border. These families came here legally to save their child’s life, but apparently their time is up. How cruel can a president be to send letters informing them that they have 33 days to get out of the US?
Lest we forget: Trump cut off medical insurance for his own nephew.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...k-baby-in-2000

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...-medical-care/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sick-baby.html

Old 09-03-2019, 06:30 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,604,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Did you take 400,000+ migrants from central america in less than a fiscal year like the US has?
Canada has taken more refugees than the USA for a number of years now.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,579,057 times
Default Why does Trump want to send kids with serious illnesses back to countries to die?

tRump and his followers...

...tend to overrate themselves.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,894,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Canada has taken more refugees than the USA for a number of years now.
Shrug, does Canada also have 600,000 homeless citizens?

Just my opinion, but maybe we should be focusing on our own in need before we worry about outsiders.

Refugees are a feel good thing for the left, but I doubt that brings much comfort to our own on the streets when it is below freezing outside.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,604,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You obviously don't know much about American History

Our immigration laws aren't based on a poem that's on the Statue of Liberty.

Plus the US was a different place during the late 19th and early 20th century. We had more room to expand. Many of the immigrants who came here were illiterate and unskilled---just like a lot of Americas were at the time. We were largely an agrarian and industrial society so those who were illiterate could easily find work. Also, there was no welfare. Americans and immigrants alike knew that for them, it was either sink or swim.

Not everybody who came through Ellis Island were allowed to stay here. Many were put right back on the boat that brought them here.

Who are you who thinks you have the right to tell the US how many refugees we should take in? Who died and put you in charge of this issue?

We don't need millions of unskilled, functionally illiterate people in this country. Times are different now. There are plenty of American citizens who are unskilled and need work. They come first and foremost. Charity starts at home.
I know a racist, bigotted government when I see one. Currently, that includes the USA. It was not always that way, and when those that value humanitarianism over racism, it will once again be the beacon it was to freedom and equality in the world.

Right now, the current occupant of the Oval Office, and many that support him, are acting like a tin-pot banana republic.

NewsFlash: The USA currently has a labor shortage in unskilled workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies