Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 04:36 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
There is a time and place for everything. At a re-enlistment ceremony is NOT the place. I've been to several of these ceremonies and it's a huge thing for our service members.

By the way...read the oath they take. As others have commented it is to the POTUS. It does not specify Trump, Obama, Bush etc. It is who ever is in that position at that time.
While I agree with the first part of your post there is a time and place for such things. But they still have their right to say whatever whenever even if we don’t like it. And yes I know that it’s for whoever is in office at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 04:43 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maybe the enlistees agreed with the booing. They were probably mostly young and mostly minority. I know when I was in Vietnam there was never a mention of Nixon that did not have some version the the "F-word" in front of it.
What does Vietnam and Nixon have to do with these young folks taking the oath? Are you stereotyping those enlistees with color and political views? It's Portland and the recruiting area is likely far beyond city limits. Much of Oregon is red outside city limits FYI.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:50 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
While I agree with the first part of your post there is a time and place for such things. But they still have their right to say whatever whenever even if we don’t like it. And yes I know that it’s for whoever is in office at the time.
A red herring. No one is claiming that the soccer fans don't have a right to say what they want, even if its unpopular. We are discussing our reactions to their speech. The government is not trying to limit their speech; note, that's all the First Amendment protects against anyway . . . actions by the government.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maybe the enlistees agreed with the booing. They were probably mostly young and mostly minority. I know when I was in Vietnam there was never a mention of Nixon that did not have some version the the "F-word" in front of it.
However said military members (it was a re-enlistment ceremony) are not allowed to voice their political opinions based off the UCMJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Once again reed067, there is a time and a place. An re-enlistment ceremony is NOT the place. It referenced the President, not specifically President Trump.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:56 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Shrug, it was Oregon. I would expect it there. They are a hard blue state. Now if it happened in Idaho, the Dakota's or Wyoming I would be like what?

Old 09-15-2019, 01:27 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Once again reed067, there is a time and a place. An re-enlistment ceremony is NOT the place.
Speaking of time and place, perhaps re-enlistment ceremonies could find a more suitable venue? It's not really what the public paid to see.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:32 AM

17,628 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, it shouldn’t. Boo him all you want, I don’t blame you, but that was not the appropriate time or situation. The people who booed tarnished something that was important to those being sworn in that day.
You are 100% right. I appreciate your trying to talk some sense into these posters. But it's a waste of time. They'll never, ever get it.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:37 AM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Patriotism has nothing to do with it its more about the hate many have for this imposter.
Kind of like this Anti American, Anti white, Anti Jewish Imposter. Farrakhan is also in the picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nafhanRZ4lc

Old 09-15-2019, 01:41 AM

17,628 posts, read 6,914,908 times
These leftists got to boo Trump and ruin a re-enlistment ceremony all at the same time. It's like Christmas for them. Liberals hate the military, they hate people in the military, and above all they hate Trump, mainly because he supports the military.

I hope every booing soccer fan goes straight to hell for ruining this ceremony for some great people. Every person re-enlisting is 100x the person than each loser leftist who felt the need to boo.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:42 AM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Well, it's Portland... probably the same people who take to the streets chanting "No border, no wall, no U.S.A. at all".
Yep, wonderful place that Portland. Dems wish this kind of Shet in every town and county in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSw79yRnDVs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies