Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 12:23 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Just google calories in calories out and you can find plenty of evidence to support that weight loss requires a calorie deficit. It is really that simple.
There are some exceptions but in general it is as simple as this. There are two parts to this equation that people usually get wrong - the caloric intake is underestimated, or the activity level is overestimated. It isn't complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 12:36 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So people have no ability to resist becoming addicted to high calorie foods? They never existed before? Years ago I remember the high calorie food my Mother and other family members made, and we ate every day, yet remained thin. Why then and not now?

I've noticed yet another interesting trend even here. The LIBS blame the food industry, and more centrist and conservative leaning people blame the individual who has a clear CHOICE of what they put in their bodies.
It's simple. Back in those days, high calorie sugar laden foods and fast food were rarely encountered treats. But the food industry figured out pretty quickly that by saturating the market with those foods, that human beings would keep pushing the sugar button like Pavlov's dog. They have made hundreds of billions from exploiting that basic human drive.

Do we have a choice? Sure we do. Will most people be able to make the healthy choice in the face of an overwhelmingly compelling natural instinct to consume sugar and fat? No of course not - the food industry KNOWS that. And they will continue to exploit us.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:41 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It's simple. Back in those days, high calorie sugar laden foods and fast food were rarely encountered treats. But the food industry figured out pretty quickly that by saturating the market with those foods, that human beings would keep pushing the sugar button like Pavlov's dog. They have made hundreds of billions from exploiting that basic human drive.

Do we have a choice? Sure we do. Will most people be able to make the healthy choice in the face of an overwhelmingly compelling natural instinct to consume sugar and fat? No of course not - the food industry KNOWS that. And they will continue to exploit us.

Curious.

Decades ago, I gave up donuts (I know, an ex cop who doesn't like donuts?). It may have been because their nickname was "fat pills" or because I read something of someone potentially putting themselves into a crash of having only donuts and coffee for breakfast, but somehow, someway, I turned my back on them and never went back.

I suppose it is the bitterness of my palate, of black coffee, of grape fruit, of tonic water. Of course, it does have its downside as well....I can't tell good wine from swill! Equally, it might be my outsider nature or even one of those weird knacks I did as a child.
As a child, I was told to wash my hands after having syrup on my pancakes and with a child's reasoning who didn't like washing her hands, I decided I wouldn't have syrup anymore.

I never stopped not washing my hands but for decades, I only have butter on my pancakes and waffles.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:00 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
If there were too many people, then people should have less children.

Actually agricultural societies like in China believed in having a big families to help increase farm production.

The haber process just made it so there was an easier access to fertilizers.

The population would be fine given modern storage methods and a food supply controlled by pricing. We don't need vasts amount of cheap protein and fat to live in a fairly stable society.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:29 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As I just said, that is the truth today. The military has a weight restriction today. They've probably heard that from others who were turned down or had to go into a weight reduction program before enlisting.

I just affirmed that.

So they just didn't want to go into the military. There are lots of physically fit people who don't want to go into the military. Most people, fit or not, do not want to go into the military. Out of any 100 people, only one or two will want to go into the military on any normal day.

That's a whole different issue.
I been in and around the military all my life, I live in a military town, both Army and Air Force here in Sumter,SC. Military people are all over the place, I see them daily. My neighbors across the street are 4 young men from different states, sharing a house together, and they are all fit lean young guys. I know what I see everyday around here, plus my reserve center had a recruitment center inside, and I spent lots of time in there.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:51 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I been in and around the military all my life, I live in a military town, both Army and Air Force here in Sumter,SC. Military people are all over the place, I see them daily. My neighbors across the street are 4 young men from different states, sharing a house together, and they are all fit lean young guys. I know what I see everyday around here, plus my reserve center had a recruitment center inside, and I spent lots of time in there.
You didn't say anything that changed what I said.

Most people, even in Army towns, don't join the Army.

And, btw, I'm also an Army brat from a family that has been all military since the Spanish-American War. All the men joined the military, all the women married soldiers. A family reunion is like a VFW meeting.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:48 AM

28 posts, read 15,774 times
There is no education about the right diet in school, so young people believe in commercials, and what is more- young people copy their parents eating style. So I think the first of is parents should change their habits to give the right example for young people.
But if we are talking about young people (above their 20s) who live alone there is a huge problem.
I mean nowadays most young people don't even think about vegetables, saturated fat, and a healthy lifestyle, and even if they are trying to eat healthier or get rid of fast-food they choose 'healthy' food which isn't healthy at all because of its composition.
I think it is just a big concern's trophy. That s their goal.

So.. if someone of you here is in that situation I would like to say that there is nothing healthier than eating the most natural food like vegetables, fruits, various cereals, legumes, raw nuts, water. If someone of you eats meat or animal products just make sure this product is not from the grocery but from real from a real country farm

Old 09-30-2019, 11:25 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I will tell you because I already now. We have too much food.

Soy bean and grain production is industrialized not to feed people, but to feed cattle and produce a massive surplus in meat for people to eat every day.

Chocolate and sugary foods is mass produced. Mount Dew is worse than most drugs and yet its legal.

Unsaturated fat is applied to everything, portions are too big, and there is a massive advertisement industry to back it up. There is too much money to be made in the food business and there is to much money to be made in make people more sedentary.

Our military cannot even find new recruits.

Whats the answer? Lower food supplies by cutting down on the supply chain. Break up big corporations that monitor them, and leave grocery stores half empty.

That will force farmers to rely on local markets for their goods and adjust production to fit those needs. It means you can't walk in a grocery story anywhere in the country and find cheese from all over the world or fully stocked shelves. It means companies can't focus on unhealthy recipes because they wouldn't have access to the production methods, labor, or resources needed.

I don't drink soda, or anything besides water. I don't drink Coffee (which is harvested from poor southern countries). I can't believe other people do.

It is so easy to avoid the temptation when the option is not on the table. And guess what, once you stop having it, you no longer desire it. I don't have any temptation when I see table salt or a bottle of soda/fruit juice/alcohol/coffee. None.

And the answer is not to have a class of people splurge on expensive diets and gym memberships. Its about how we work, interact, and live. Its about how corporate America has modeled our consumption habit and how the media and the government enforce it.

Also mountain Dew executives need to be arrested, that drink is a hundred times worse than coke and pepsi. Doritos/Papa Johns, etc. also need to be jailed.
Why can't you believe people drink coffee?

Old 09-30-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Our President is a "shining example" of poor food choices. "Taco Bell Trump" has a "magnetic personality" as well as "gravitational attraction" at this point. Perhaps he could lead by example and slim down to under 200 lbs.
So now this is Trump's fault, too?

Old 09-30-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I was referring to 'bad decisions' on the part of individuals, not institutions.

Why It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the 1980s

As I said, it's got nothing to do with personal responsibility. People are behaving the same now as they did 30 years ago. But for various reasons, the things we are eating now make you heavier than the exact same things 30 years ago.
I would wonder about your source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies