Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times

Advertisements

What happened to states rights? Oh I know, Trumpers have no core and states rights only matter when Trumpers say they do because in Trump world there is no rule of law just what thy master tells you it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
California is using the latter to address greenhouse gas emissions too, which the Supreme Court has recognized as a pollutant qualified for regulation.

It was recognized as pollutant under the 1990 Amendment to the Clean Air Act, it was never intended to be used for green house gases. New legislation could make this ruling moot, even the Democrats Energy bill passed in 2009 stripped them of this power.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The weakening of the clean water act allowing developers and farmers to dump increased levels of pollutants into waterways, roll back on chemicals in agriculture, reduced capture of methane release from fracking.

What I said was specifically and "implemented and active".

Old 09-19-2019, 03:05 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Good news. The EPA is apparently going to revoke California's authority to set vehicle standards, perhaps as soon as tomorrow.

This article is from CNN. Please keep that in mind, as that obviously increases the likelihood that it could be 'Fake news'.
Right off the bat, I think state's probably do have the right under the Constitution to set their own standards higher than the US so I don't think this is a good idea by the EPA and the Feds unless I'm missing something.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Right off the bat, I think state's probably do have the right under the Constitution to set their own standards higher than the US so I don't think this is a good idea by the EPA and the Feds unless I'm missing something.

If they can set them higher then why not lower?

If I understand correctly the waiver was granted in 1970 because CA already had regulations on their own. The waiver was granted because they exceeded federal standards, once the federal standards exceeded those set by CA it should of been revoked and that would of been decades ago.

It's not practical to have 50 states setting their own standards for these things especially from manufacturing point of view. Environmental regulations have become political footballs and it's not good for business or the consumers pocket books. Obama jacking them through the roof was not a good idea, Trump rolling them back puts any investment into development to meet those high standards at risk.

This see sawing has to end and both parties are to blame. We need concise, practical long term goals and that should be done by legislation instead of leaving it to the discretion of the EPA.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:53 AM

57,309 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It was recognized as pollutant under the 1990 Amendment to the Clean Air Act, it was never intended to be used for green house gases. New legislation could make this ruling moot, even the Democrats Energy bill passed in 2009 stripped them of this power.
The Supreme Court ruled in 2007 that GHG are a pollutant and recognized under the Clean Air Act, what bill in 2009?

Old 09-19-2019, 06:15 AM

57,309 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If they can set them higher then why not lower?

If I understand correctly the waiver was granted in 1970 because CA already had regulations on their own. The waiver was granted because they exceeded federal standards, once the federal standards exceeded those set by CA it should of been revoked and that would of been decades ago.

It's not practical to have 50 states setting their own standards for these things especially from manufacturing point of view. Environmental regulations have become political footballs and it's not good for business or the consumers pocket books. Obama jacking them through the roof was not a good idea, Trump rolling them back puts any investment into development to meet those high standards at risk.

This see sawing has to end and both parties are to blame. We need concise, practical long term goals and that should be done by legislation instead of leaving it to the discretion of the EPA.
Why is it not practical for state to address a severe pollution problem, it has been practical for 50 years and no one had an issue. This is not the only area in which CA is addressing their air quality issues.
MA, NY, NJ and others also have pollution problems and want the compromise of 51 MPG by 2026.

Trumps roll back is a solution looking for a problem.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:49 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry but you obviously never spent time in LA before the pollution curbs.

I well remember coming out of a restaurant in Pasadena in the late 60s when my eyes teared up so bad I could not drive. Had to sit in the car with AC going for 10 minutes before I could see to drive. In the early 70s we had a facility in Pomona that was so bad we had trouble maintaining the managers to run it.
Yes, I remember third stage smog alerts when we were called off the school playground in the 1960s.

In 1980, Obama was disturbed by the smog in L.A. when he attended Occidental.

'A bourban-colored blanket' of smog:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...htmlstory.html

Old 09-20-2019, 11:37 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
California and 22 other states are suing the Department of Transportation for repealing their waiver from the requirements of the Clean Air Act.
California and 22 other state allies take Trump to court over fuel economy

The state's Democratic attorney general, Xavier Becerra, led a coalition of 22 other states and three cities to bring a lawsuit Friday against the Department of Transportation. The department, along with the Environmental Protection Agency, unveiled a series of joint actions Thursday to pull back California's authority to set and enforce greenhouse gas limits stricter than federal levels.

"I started my career litigating to clean up the air in California with one of the first Clean Air Act cases ever filed," Mary Nichols, California's top air regulator, said in a statement. "I won then and we will win now."

The attorneys general are suing the Transportation Department's finding that federal law preempts any state, including California, from regulating cars' greenhouse gases, because such standards are overlap with fuel economy limits.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:38 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Let's hear it for pollution and senseless consumption!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies