Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 09:57 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
You are absolutely correct, I know this fact personally. My Ruger simply being displayed ran off two thugs, and it happened in Minneapolis.

This is also true, but opportunist thug *ssholes will certianly gravitate to "nicer" areas. Like the place I was almost mugged in Minneapolis I mentioned above. Not a bad neighborhood, and not at night.

Ran them off how? Did they physically attack you first....then you pulled your weapon....or were they just talking slit to you and you pulled out your gun? A real thug with real intention to harm you is not going to give you such an opportunity to draw first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 10:08 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,081,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah....keep believing that if it makes you feel better. I doubt that you are going to come out like Wyatt Earp against Ringo. Stop living in your Fantasy.
I don't know, I'm pretty quick.....far as Fantasy goes, my team is already 0-2.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:13 AM

853 posts, read 337,579 times
None of the suspects in this incident are Somali. Obviously there are exceptions, but generally Somalis don't commit a lot of street crime in Minneapolis, and the crimes they do commit are usually against other Somalis.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:19 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times
Quote:
Ran them off how? Did they physically attack you first....then you pulled your weapon....or were they just talking slit to you and you pulled out your gun? A real thug with real intention to harm you is not going to give you such an opportunity to draw first.
A "real" thug, lol

One doesnt need to actually be attacked to know one is being threatened.

There was 3 of them just leaning on the building near the parking when I came out of the building. As I walked toward my car, two produced knives from about 15 feet away as I walked toward them, one said something like "give me the sh*t". I was in a choke point between the building, parked cars and them. I had a bag in my hand containing a car stereo I had just purchased. I dropped the bag, and stepped back away from it. The 3rd guy, standing behind the other two with knives, was still watching me as one of the knife guys picked up the bag, and they both looked into it, but holding the knives out toward me.. I then brought out my Ruger so they could see it as they looked in the bag. The look in their eyes said it all when they saw my gun. They all ran off pretty damn quick, I didnt even have to point it at them.

Real thugs with real knives, behind a building where the public wasnt inclined to see them doing this. It was an ambush. They knew exactly what they were doing. They got my new stereo, but my Ruger being on me certianly kept them from taking my wallet, keys, car, etc........

Go ahead, choose not to protect yourself if you wish. I know differently.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:24 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
None of the suspects in this incident are Somali. Obviously there are exceptions, but generally Somalis don't commit a lot of street crime in Minneapolis, and the crimes they do commit are usually against other Somalis.
possibly one. Boris Likuwa Lusmbo.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
African sounding name for sure, but not Somali African.

"Boris"? Lol...... Cue up the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon for a stereotypical Russian name.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:42 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
A "real" thug, lol

One doesnt need to actually be attacked to know one is being threatened.

There was 3 of them just leaning on the building near the parking when I came out of the building. As I walked toward my car, two produced knives from about 15 feet away as I walked toward them, one said something like "give me the sh*t". I was in a choke point between the building, parked cars and them. I had a bag in my hand containing a car stereo I had just purchased. I dropped the bag, and stepped back away from it. The 3rd guy, standing behind the other two with knives, was still watching me as one of the knife guys picked up the bag, and they both looked into it, but holding the knives out toward me.. I then brought out my Ruger so they could see it as they looked in the bag. The look in their eyes said it all when they saw my gun. They all ran off pretty damn quick, I didnt even have to point it at them.

Real thugs with real knives, behind a building where the public wasnt inclined to see them doing this. It was an ambush. They knew exactly what they were doing. They got my new stereo, but my Ruger being on me certianly kept them from taking my wallet, keys, car, etc........

Go ahead, choose not to protect yourself if you wish. I know differently.

All I am saying is that in environments where people are highly armed and the criminals are highly armed.....its all about who draws first. Nine times out of ten the criminal will draw first....meaning that by the time you know of his intentions.....the first thing you will see is a gun pointed at your head. Now....in a situation where people are VERBALLY threatening you.....you might pull out your gun first and end it....however...they may pull out guns too.

I grew up in a neighborhood where robbing was a profession of some. They were so good at it that they robbed robbers. There were guys who would rob drug dealers......do home invasions on drug houses....all knowing or expecting that they people they were targeting would be armed. These people have been in shoot outs....some have even been shot themselves. They learn from others who robbed. They got it down to an art.

I am glad you came out all right.....but you were probably dealing with rookies in the game. Who robs people with knives these days?

I never said choose not to protect yourself. In fact....I never mentioned whether or not I stay strapped. The point I am making is that the best course of action is avoidance. If you are armed....don't think that makes you SAFE....or TUFF. Do what you would do if you were not armed.....which would be to stay observant and watching how you move and who is moving around you.

Just say you had assumed that people might try to rob you if you went to purchase something expensive. Would it have changed where you would have parked....or time you went to the store or where you went to the store? Was there a way to avoid the situation short of carrying a gun? That is how I think....armed or not.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-18-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 09-18-2019, 11:44 AM

853 posts, read 337,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
More likely of Liberian descent. They are the third largest African immigrant community in the Twin Cities. Somalis in Minneapolis tend to not socialize outside of their community so it would be rare for them to be in a mixed group. Liberians do socialize with the broader community and tend to live in the same suburbs as suburban African Americans here.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:48 AM

952 posts, read 324,220 times
Darn white nationalist , they are easy to spot and they got this one.
Serves him right .

Old 09-18-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
All I am saying is that in environments where people are highly armed and the criminals are highly armed.....its all about who draws first. Nine times out of ten the criminal will draw first....meaning that by the time you know of his intentions.....the first thing you will see is a gun pointed at your head. Now....in a situation where people are VERBALLY threatening you.....you might pull out your gun first and end it....however...they may pull out guns too.
Yes, I practice that. Stay out of those areas if not necessary..

Quote:
I grew up in a neighborhood where robbing was a profession of some. They were so good at it that they robbed robbers. There were guys who would rob drug dealers......do home invasions on drug houses....all knowing or expecting that they people they were targeting would be armed. These people have been in shoot outs....some have even been shot themselves. They learn from others who robbed. They got it down to an art.
I lived just off of Columbus and E. Franklin in south Mpls for a while. Also just of Broadway near the river in near north. That kind of stuff happened there also. Low rent in those areas I could afford back then. Low rent, high crime areas is typically when one needs protection more, not less.

Quote:
I am glad you came out all right.....but you were probably dealing with rookies in the game. Who robs people with knives these days?
It was a long time ago, and they seemed serious enough. I have been mugged with knives since then when I was unarmed, also in nice areas (not in the U.S.). Been cut, and lost my stuff.

Quote:
I never said choose not to protect yourself. In fact....I never mentioned whether or not I stay strapped. The point I am making is that the best course of action is avoidance. If you are armed....don't think that makes you SAFE....or TUFF. Do what you would do if you were not armed.....which would be to stay observant and watching how you move and who is moving around you.
I know a firearm doesnt make me smarter, tougher or stronger. It only gives me leverage if the situation is right.

There is a YouTube series that covers real life situations regarding self defense, situational awareness, walking away vice standing your ground, etc... Reccomended.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE...rvF2ImeNWh84mw

Quote:
Just say you had assumed that people might try to rob you if you went to purchase something expensive. Would it have changed where you would have parked....or time you went to the store or where you went to the store? Was there a way to avoid the situation short of carrying a gun? That is how I think....armed or not.
Hind sight is always 20/20. Lessons learned. I was much younger then, Again, it happened in a nice, low crime area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies