Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 09:57 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,916,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
What legitimate purpose does someone have for a 100 round drum (Dayton) or an AK-47 style weapon (El Paso)?
First, the drum style magazines are more of a novelty. They are prone to jamming.

What is the difference between an AK-47 and this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 09:58 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,643,085 times
The number of people dying by gun murder would be virtually unnoticeable in the larger picture if it wasn’t for the fact a gun was used to commit the murder. Statistics like the OP posted always seem to fail to distinguish between suicide, murder, justifiable homicide and accidents. More people die from being struck with fists and feet than die by rifles.

Regarding suicide, I think people have a right to check out when they want. A firearm is a painless and sure method to do it and I see no reason we should be upset about that, unless one thinks that suicide by any means is wrong.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:58 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,188,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
1. It takes less than a second to change a magazine. If you can't do it that fast, you haven't practiced.
2. Any semi-automatic, magazine fed firearm can do this. That is 60% to 75% of firearms.

3. What additional checks do you want? You already have to answer a mental health question on the 4473 and if you lie about it, it is a federal crime and you should be flagged on NICS already.
Really sorry to see how effective the NRA is.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:59 AM

2,986 posts, read 1,754,854 times
Quote:
First, the drum style magazines are more of a novelty. They are prone to jamming.

its not black and scary looking enough

Old 09-19-2019, 10:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Absolutely. I know if I knew i was going to die a horrible , dragged out death I'd much rather take ownership of when and how that would happen.

FFS, we put our animals down when they are suffering but let our spouses, parents, grandparents etc suffer until they die.
I'm with you on this.

Putting a dog down with an IV is the most peaceful thing I have witnessed.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:

First, it didn't jam in Dayton. So it's irrelevant.

Second. I don't really care what pictures you post. If you are okay with preventable death, just say "I'm okay with preventable death" instead of posting random pictures on the internet. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just a suggestion.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
What legitimate purpose does someone have for a 100 round drum (Dayton) or an AK-47 style weapon (El Paso)?
I know of 50 and 100 round magazines legally owned here and they have not hurt anyone. That’s because high capacity magazines in themselves are not a problem. It’s the person. Gasoline usually isn’t a problem either until some miscreant uses it to slaughter 87 innocent people, like in the Happy Land Night Club massacre.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
The number of people dying by gun murder would be virtually unnoticeable in the larger picture if it wasn’t for the fact a gun was used to commit the murder. Statistics like the OP posted always seem to fail to distinguish between suicide, murder, justifiable homicide and accidents. More people die from being struck with fists and feet than die by rifles.

Regarding suicide, I think people have a right to check out when they want. A firearm is a painless and sure method to do it and I see no reason we should be upset about that, unless one thinks that suicide by any means is wrong.
The fact that random people unrelated to the shooter are getting gunned down in mass quantities in a bar, in schools, in Walmart, at a vegetable festival, while driving on the highway, or at a concert is quite noticeable, regardless of the total annual amount.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
The fact that random people unrelated to the shooter are getting gunned down in mass quantities in a bar, in schools, in Walmart, at a vegetable festival, while driving on the highway, or at a concert is quite noticeable, regardless of the total annual amount.
That’s because the news makes it so. As I said, the NUMBERS, would otherwise be lost in the forest. Can you name all other causes of death that are equal to the number per year that are murdered with firearms? I’ll bet you money you can’t because you don’t care about those other deaths, you only get angry about those caused by a specific object.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I have 50 and 100 round magazines (legal because of grandfathering) and they have not hurt anyone. That’s because high capacity magazines in themselves are not a problem. It’s the person. Gasoline usually isn’t a problem either until some miscreant uses it to slaughter 87 innocent people, like in the Happy Land Night Club massacre.
So apparently you're sane enough to own them without hurting people. But why do you need them?

But in many instances others were entirely preventable.

The Happy Land fire would've been less devastating if the building was up to code and used in a proper manner. Again, not preventable 100%, but some lives could've been saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies