Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 04:18 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
But what I posted is true, you cannot carry ANYTHING to defend yourself. You are at the mercy of criminals.
But yet I have gone for decades in this country without ever having a problem with criminals threatening my safety, my area has a homicide rate below 1 per 100,000 per year. There is no need to carry anything to defend myself, pretty much everybody else thinks the same which then leads to a very low rate of weapons in society. I can happily walk around any part of my town at any time of day or night with no need for any weapon at all.

It really must be terrible to feel that the place you live in is so dangerous that you need to go around every day armed to the teeth while grocery shopping, taking the kids to school etc and keep guns in the home because you are worried about armed robbers breaking in and threatening you.

Of course you can find news stories about that kind of thing happening occasionally in the UK, but the risk is so remote that there are plenty of other more important risks like getting run over by a bus. It certainly isn't such a risk that it is worth flooding the country with millions more guns to arm the public with, nobody here wants that. It would no doubt just lead to more deaths like we see in the US with the regular mass shootings, the 'toddler kills brother with gun found in Mom's bag' reports, all the petty disputes that end in death because of firearms being around, the trigger happy police gunning folks down because they are concerned about getting shot themselves etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 04:32 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
No, that isn't the bottom line, and it isn't true. As has already been explained.
Actually you are defenseless against someone with a gun or knife on the street.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
But yet I have gone for decades in this country without ever having a problem with criminals threatening my safety, my area has a homicide rate below 1 per 100,000 per year. There is no need to carry anything to defend myself, pretty much everybody else thinks the same which then leads to a very low rate of weapons in society. I can happily walk around any part of my town at any time of day or night with no need for any weapon at all.

It really must be terrible to feel that the place you live in is so dangerous that you need to go around every day armed to the teeth while grocery shopping, taking the kids to school etc and keep guns in the home because you are worried about armed robbers breaking in and threatening you.

Of course you can find news stories about that kind of thing happening occasionally in the UK, but the risk is so remote that there are plenty of other more important risks like getting run over by a bus. It certainly isn't such a risk that it is worth flooding the country with millions more guns to arm the public with, nobody here wants that. It would no doubt just lead to more deaths like we see in the US with the regular mass shootings, the 'toddler kills brother with gun found in Mom's bag' reports, all the petty disputes that end in death because of firearms being around, the trigger happy police gunning folks down because they are concerned about getting shot themselves etc etc.
And yet, London has 164 "reported" muggings per year and probably that many more that go unreported.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
No, that isn't the bottom line, and it isn't true. As has already been explained.
Anything else is useless against a gun. As the terror attacks in Europe have proved.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
You are quoting an article there by somebody working for The Heritage Foundation, a well known right wing propaganda institution. Even in a cursory read of it there are numerous errors of fact in her description of UK murder statistics and also US homicide statistics, all very conveniently presented to further get argument, and no doubt lapped up without question by those wanting to believe it.

When reading any particular media source it's always advisable to bear in mind the biases they have and what the conclusion is that they are trying to make you come to after reading their article. In this case the author is clearly pushing a pro-gun point of view and is hoping that the reader won't dig any deeper into a lot of the claims she is making because if the reader did that then the whole piece would lose a lot of credibility.

Last edited by MnM258; 09-29-2019 at 04:47 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
You are quoting an article there by somebody working for The Heritage Foundation, a well known right wing propaganda institution. Even in a cursory read of it there are numerous errors of fact in her description of UK murder statistics and also US homicide statistics, all very conveniently presented to further get argument, and no doubt lapped up without question by those wanting to believe it.

When reading any particular media source it's always advisable to bear in mind the biases they have and what the conclusion is that they are trying to make you come to after reading their article. In this case the author is clearly pushing apto-gun point of view and is going that the reader won't dig any deeper into a lot of the claims she is making because of the reader did that then the whole piece would lose a lot of credibility.
In your opinion.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
And yet, London has 164 "reported" muggings per year and probably that many more that go unreported.
It's a city of 9 million people, with a couple of million tourists and commuters there every day on top of the resident population. Of course it is going to have some muggings, can you make a city of that many people with zero muggings?

But it's not a risk with worrying about, I'm in London regularly and I've never thought "damn, I really need to carry a gun to be safe here", that would be ludicrous.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
In your opinion.
The factual errors are not my opinion, they are factual errors.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Anything else is useless against a gun. As the terror attacks in Europe have proved.
The regular mass shootings in the US have killed waaaay more people than terrorist attacks in Europe in recent years, it seems all the guns in the US are also useless against those attacks.

No amount of civilian guns stopped 9/11, or Timothy McVeigh either, terrorists are not going to be stopped by a guy carrying a gun as those attacks show. All that having widespread gun availability will do is to flood society with firearms and cause more deaths. It isn't a coincidence that the US has the highest homicide rate among all the developed countries of the world by some distance.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Actually you are defenseless against someone with a gun or knife on the street.
Well that's fine, because I've never come across those people, I can walk around any time of day or night in any district of my town without that being a concern. Even in bigger cities it isn't a concern either, prevention by not having the firearms in regular use in society is better than cure by having a gun battle with a guy who threatens you with a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies