Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 09:53 PM

32,153 posts, read 15,162,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Lol, thats pretty naive. In college I was acquaintances with at least 2 dozen education majors and that was the prevailing theme among them. As an adult I'm acquaintances with multiple teachers and at least half of them have said or implied that. I'm sure some do it for good reasons, but lets not try to sugar coat this. I've heard 100s of stories, I know exactly what they go through, and as someone who works in the professional business world I have no sympathy for them. Their "struggles" are no different than my own.
Ok let’s compare your struggles to teachers. They have to deal with overcrowded classrooms and paying for supplies out of their own pocket. They have to deal with unruly kids, administration and parents on a daily basis. This is in addition to actually trying to teach. And let’s talk about the special ed kids. You can’t just go in and teach them when you have no idea what you are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 09:54 PM

39,916 posts, read 26,617,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I mean, starting salary for a lot of corporate 'entry level jobs" (that require a college degree) is around $40,000. Starting salary for teachers doesn't seem THAT far off.

Seems like we could at least increase it to that of an entry level corporate drone
That "corporate drone" most likely works far more than 180 days a year. Ask the drone how they'd like 10 weeks of summer vacation, 2 weeks of Christmas, "spring break" and every federal holiday off. To say nothing of the benefits and pension of government workers.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:57 PM

4,526 posts, read 1,881,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Ok let’s compare your struggles to teachers. They have to deal with overcrowded classrooms and paying for supplies out of their own pocket. They have to deal with unruly kids, administration and parents on a daily basis. This is in addition to actually trying to teach. And let’s talk about the special ed kids. You can’t just go in and teach them when you have no idea what you are doing.
It’s not jail.

Don’t like it? Get another job. Nothing is stopping them.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:59 PM

17,694 posts, read 14,812,254 times
Quote:
PLUS they get social security too, so maybe another $20-30K depending on the variables? Oh, and health care too, no?
Last I checked, CPS teachers do not pay into social security - so no. Unless they work another job ... summers perhaps ... to pay enough into ss by the time they retire.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,158,338 times
So why did they become teachers then?

Old 10-03-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Just stop.

This may be the experience of your daughter.

But it's not the experience of all teachers.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:04 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,004,453 times
Quote:
I deal with adults who act like children, I deal with corporate downsizing that requires shared office space and reserving a room or spending an hour trying to find a place to work when I travel, I buy most of my own supplies, and sometimes my own technology, I deal with unruly adults, I deal with extra work load because people with kids think they can call out and not do work because little johnny has a hang-nail every other day, I deal with "special" supposedly "adults" who cant be talked to in in certain ways, cant be bothered at certain times of the day/week/month because they are "busy" then, I deal with doing extra work because of head count reduction (ie I work more because people got laid off), and I deal with a ton of political BS that most adults should be above.

ZERO sympathy, teachers or business professionals all deal with a ton of BS. Teachers aren't f'ign special, at least they get 3 months off, I only get 1 month.

And honestly, its not THAT bad, because I'm a grown adult and I make it work.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Just stop.

This may be the experience of your daughter.

But it's not the experience of all teachers.
This is the experience of all teachers. Why do you think there have been protests throughout the country.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I deal with adults who act like children, I deal with corporate downsizing that requires shared office space and reserving a room or spending an hour trying to find a place to work when I travel, I buy most of my own supplies, and sometimes my own technology, I deal with unruly adults, I deal with extra work load because people with kids think they can call out and not do work because little johnny has a hang-nail every other day, I deal with "special" supposedly "adults" who cant be talked to in in certain ways, cant be bothered at certain times of the day/week/month because they are "busy" then, I deal with doing extra work because of head count reduction (ie I work more because people got laid off), and I deal with a ton of political BS that most adults should be above.

ZERO sympathy, teachers or business professionals all deal with a ton of BS. Teachers aren't f'ign special, at least they get 3 months off, I only get 1 month.

And honestly, its not THAT bad, because I'm a grown adult and I make it work.
Teachers are very special because they teach kids that would never be admitted into private schools.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
This is the experience of all teachers. Why do you think there have been protests throughout the country.
No. It's. Not.

I know you think your daughter is the second coming of Saint Jean-Baptiste de La Salle, but her experience is not everyone's experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies