Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 04:53 PM

1,199 posts, read 640,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Admin clarified - posts would be moderated based on content, not the poster or their affiliation. So for example, if there was a thread about gun policies among different democratic candidates, a Republican leaning poster could comment about the merits of policy A vs policy B. But a categorical statement like “they all want to take away our guns” or something similar that is so far outside the scope of the discussion wouldn’t be allowed. That’s my understanding.
This is impossible to implement in practice. For some moderators, "they all want to take away our guns" sounds like an insightful comment that advances the public conversation.

There's a thread on the front page right now where these are actual posts that have stayed up for nearly 5 hours:

Quote:
Well, Mcdonalds has Ronald, Burger King has the King. Wendy's has Wendy, even Jack in the Box has Jack. All very white whatever they are. So yep no arguing vs this Woman. OH i almost forgot KFC whose Icon is a Southern White Gentleman who would have looked right at home in the Confederate South. People of the Jury the Prosecution rest. Please give this poor woman millions. Pleases ignore aunt jemima who is another victim of white Supremacy.
Quote:
There's no end to this. We live in retarded times. Let's just split the country in two; we sane ones will have our own nation, and the progressives, those who have 75 pronouns, those who think eight year old kids should be shot up with hormones, those who want open borders, those who hate Christianity but love Islam, those who think cops are all homicidal killers but should be the only ones to carry guns, those who want to get rid of prisons, those who want total income distribution....they can have their own nation.

Stuff like that doesn't just "slip through the cracks"; it takes up the majority of every thread and drives traffic. If they screened out those comments, what's left of the forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 04:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,230,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

The other proposed forum is not what is inspiring this suggestion and where it to be created, it is likely that it would not be very often used.
While I think that’s speculative, I would tend to agree with your speculation. For right now. Because there’s a republican incumbent. But one day there will be again be a democratic incumbent and who’s to say the opposite won’t be true.

At any rate, I do think there’s definitely room for debate among republican-centric issues. Plenty of room.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:59 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,640,318 times
Sounds like safe spaces. I vote no.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
This is impossible to implement in practice. For some moderators, "they all want to take away our guns" sounds like an insightful comment that advances the public conversation.

There's a thread on the front page right now where these are actual posts that have stayed up for nearly 5 hours:

Stuff like that doesn't just "slip through the cracks"; it takes up the majority of every thread and drives traffic. If they screened out those comments, what's left of the forum?
Yeah, I don’t disagree that it could be tricky business to moderate. It will also depend a lot on how well the OP frames the thread topic.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:00 PM

15,539 posts, read 10,524,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I don’t agree - many go across the isle on different areas. Besides I want to see what the other side is up to. 2- the whole point if forums is debate.
This place was debate, now people just rant. Well, I guess some debate, but you know what I mean. We have lost many good people from both sides of the isle. I don't blame them for leaving, but I miss them.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:01 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,535,603 times
Quote:
While I think that’s speculative, I would tend to agree with your speculation. For right now. Because there’s a republican incumbent. But one day there will be again be a democratic incumbent and who’s to say the opposite won’t be true.

At any rate, I do think there’s definitely room for debate among republican-centric issues. Plenty of room.
I lean to the right but I am not a Republican. In fact, I am not really sure what a Republican is anymore. What about you? Do you know what a Republican is?

Old 10-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I lean to the right but I am not a Republican. In fact, I am not really sure what a Republican is anymore. What about you? Do you know what a Republican is?
No, I don’t actually. See, that would be a perfect thread for that subforum. What is a Republican?

Old 10-11-2019, 05:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,696,215 times
Quote:
If nothing else it is a party that switches their mind and platforms 100% with each election.

Putting it nicely, that means it is Populist.

Putting it another way, that means they stand for nothing.

I always had respect for the "New England Republican" of which we still have (our Gov. is Republican). Many of my friends and contacts were of that type. Putting aside some of the historical changes in party patterns, those were the "landed" Middle Class and Up in New England. They owned a lot of the factories - and when all the changes happened (suffrage, no child labor, weekend off, etc.) they took them in stride because they lived here among their workers and were Christian in "deed" as opposed to wearing it on their sleeves. This type of Republican would never use religion or morals as a battering ram. They know all humans are pretty much the same. They are educated.

Sure, there were different types of Republicans elsewhere but this particular type would honestly have balanced a budget. They honestly wouldn't spend unlimited money on wars nor would they do anything to win. More likely they would offer whoever won an election that they would be glad to be in public service (an admin) if the winner wanted them.

It's amazing to think about today - isn't it?

Old 10-11-2019, 05:36 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,535,603 times
Quote:
No, I don’t actually. See, that would be a perfect thread for that subforum. What is a Republican?
Of course we could struggle as much trying to say what a Democrat is.

So if we cannot even say what a Republican or a Democrat is, how would it be possible to identify people who are sufficiently doctrainare to be posting in these forums, much less to identify limits on what kind of ideas will be permitted to be discussed there?

Old 10-11-2019, 05:39 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,844,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
I'm thinking about adding these subforums. They would still be public but only party's supporters would be allowed to comment. Any comments or suggestions?

I don't think a sub forum like that could be moderated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies