Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2019, 07:45 AM

13,683 posts, read 20,835,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It's sad that so many black people think whites control every aspect of their lives, all the way down to the food they eat. The irony is that now you are mental slaves, not physical ones.
This^

Some seem to think we have supernatural powers. Can you imagine the idiocy required to believe that white people are making black people eat to the point of obesity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 08:05 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,741,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
This^

Some seem to think we have supernatural powers. Can you imagine the idiocy required to believe that white people are making black people eat to the point of obesity?

Again....your goal is to NOT understand, so your view remains superficial. Have you dismissed the studied link between stress and weight gain? Have you dismissed the link between loneliness and weight gain? Those are thinks linked to weight gain in humans. Now ask yourself, how can racism cause stress and can racism increase loneliness? The answer to both questions is yes.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 AM

13,683 posts, read 20,835,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Again....your goal is to NOT understand, so your view remains superficial. Have you dismissed the studied link between stress and weight gain? Have you dismissed the link between loneliness and weight gain? Those are thinks linked to weight gain in humans. Now ask yourself, how can racism cause stress and can racism increase loneliness? The answer to both questions is yes.
Calm down, Jussie!

Or I will wave my magic wand and turn you into a frog.

And not some cute tree frog adored by children. A bullfrog! A hideous, fly-eating, vile, mud-dwelling, slimy, (and yes) very, very FAT bullfrog.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:56 AM

23,644 posts, read 17,332,365 times
Obama told us human caused global warming is the cause of terrorism. So if WS are considered terrorists and we are to believe Obama, the woman's obesity is due to global warming.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:32 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,863,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The difference in the past few years is that the media got "woke", and has begun promoting the more extreme, irrational and hateful anti-white views of some black people as if they have merit and are worthy of serious consideration.
There is no difference IMO. It is just that folks like you, as I noted, didn't pay attention to black media. Black intellectuals and media have always had points of view that you and other's deem "anti-white."

I was just speaking to someone recently about WEB DuBois - who is one of my favorite American men of history. He was constantly attacked as someone who was racist against white people. I shared this quote about him that was published in the 1920s - so as noted - this is not anything new. You all just don't pay attention to black people. IMO you still don't and instead you pay attention to things we say that make you upset or that you don't like about us as a group versus looking at us as regular people with various POVs and perspectives (from the Atlantic in regards to the Last Interview of WEB DuBois before his death in 1963):

Quote:
DuBois made The Crisis a dynamic and forceful voice for the major objectives of the association. In 1910, the magazine condemned the proposal to establish segregated public schools in Chicago, Philadelphia, Columbus, Ohio, and Atlantic City. In 1913, DuBois joined with Villard and others in a written protest to President Wilson against segregated practices in government employment. In 1917, DuBois launched an attack on the white primary system, which was the chief barrier to Negro participation in the ballot. Some of the white social reformers of his time who gave him consistent support, although occasionally they became dismayed by his polemic excesses, were Jane Addams, John Dewey, William Dean Howells, John H. Holmes, Lincoln Steffens, Stephen S. Wise, William H. Ward, and Lillian D. Wald.

By 1916 one NAACP board and many of DuBois's most ardent supporters were becoming increasingly embarrassed by his extremes of editorial expression. His race prejudice was more and more apparent. Typical of these editorial comments in The Crisis was one stating that "the most ordinary Negro is a distinct gentleman, but it takes extraordinary training and opportunity to make the average white man anything but a hog."
The blue was typical of DuBois really from around 1900 forward. He was VERY hard on white people in America and was constantly lambasted as a "radical" and was even investigated by the FBI. Any black person who wasn't all hunky dory, turn the other cheek in the face of oppression/terrorism and who weren't okay with the paternalistic nature that many whites had (and still have as is evidence by this forum) about black people - he basically stuck it to them in both is writings and speeches and he was constantly spoken ill of about it from both within black America and especially by white Americans whether liberal or conservative. The interview later goes on to speak of how DuBois "broke" with Walter White who became the leader of the NAACP in the 1930s. Walter White was 1/8th black and looked like a white man but was an integral part of the NAACP as he had done a lot of undercover work to highlight the atrocities committed by the KKK and other white supremacist organizations. But DuBois basically had an issue with Walter White being so "white" and he didn't want White running the NAACP and didn't feel much of any white people should run any "black" specific institutions/organizations. He was very radical and was born in 1868 and was the leading intellectual voice for most of the 20th century in America.

ETA: DuBois was a follower of Frederick Douglass. Douglass' rhetoric was not as radical as DuBois' but he also had some issues with whites because he, like DuBois was not one to buy into the needs/desires of many white people to be our saviors or seek counsel from you all just because you were white. DuBois specifically wrote a lot about white supremacy and his followers actually created the idea that whites suffered from psychological illnesses in regards to their insistence racism and "colorphobia" of blacks and that they needed psychological help and that we, as black people could not cure you all of your racism. I personally agree with the latter. White supremacy racism is something that is heavily embedded in the psyche of America IMO and as a black person, I'm more concerned about curing black people of this issue versus whites as I don't feel that I have any sort of way to persuade a white person to leave it behind, especially not one who is heavily invested in the ideology. Other white people IMO need to do that sort of work.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:47 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,863,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Black women are one of the most hated groups in this country (both inside the black community and in the larger society) so of course there are issues with depression, low self esteem, healthy lifestyle choices and obesity. Black women in America carry the weight of the black community on their backs like mules and this is the fault of BLACK WOMEN. So the woman in the video should stop pointing the finger at white people and place the blame where it really belongs.
I agree with the bold. And to the poster that was surprised, I honestly don't see why you were. The above is a common perspective of black women. Black women IMO are much less likely to blame white people for everything in our lives and to take responsibility for our personal issues and lives. We also encourage each other to do the above.

Of course we have issues pertaining to race and our sex as black women, but once you know and acknowledge these things, you have no excuse to not take matters into your own hands for what you can change and change it. Especially not something so trivial (in a way) as your weight. There are many options available for losing weight and being healthy.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,582,948 times
A very timely video examining the root cause of depression and obesity in black women.....and not a single white person was blamed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm1i4ZLAjoU

Old 10-22-2019, 08:43 PM

8,813 posts, read 10,281,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you're white, you only have yourself to blame.
Damn. Guess no more ice cream for me

Old 10-22-2019, 09:30 PM

22,689 posts, read 24,707,579 times
I saw a short clip of the video.

The shunning of personal responsibility, that I saw in that clip, kinda mirrored the same
type of behavior that I have seen many times on My 600 Pound Life.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:57 PM

73,185 posts, read 62,886,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On these - I agree with grenn_mariner. I also lived in Atlanta and I did live in a neighborhood where there were no grocery stores and the only stores in the area were gas stations and Family Dollar. Family Dollar does sell snacks and some frozen goods but not actual groceries with healthy fruits and vegetables. Food desserts do exists but IMO they are very rare. But even a store a mile away for some people would be difficult to get to.
I've been inside of "dollar stores". Not a good sight at all. And I stayed in a hotel in a relatively rough area before. Housing projects were close by. I didn't know this until the next day. The nearest store was basically a Family Dollar, and it was very close to the projects. Plenty of fast food restaurants and convenience stores. No actually grocery store. Plenty of junk available, but fresh fruits and vegetables, not so much. Plenty of alcohol around too.

Food deserts are a thing. To what extent, it varies. I used to work in an area you could call a food desert. I had to try as much as possible to bring lunch from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies