Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is our world overpopulated?
Yes 115 70.12%
No 49 29.88%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 09:45 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't agree for a second on your opinions of China, but generally agree with you on this matter.

The world isn't "overpopulated" per se, so much as the means with which the population is sustained is mismanaged (waste, production, transit, etc).

The idea that the West needs to stop having kids is mind-bogglingly stupid and fraught with self-loathing and apologism. Anyone who sincerely believes this probably shouldn't reproduce, as the West doesn't need any more nincompoops than it already has. The West is behind most of the world's scientific and medical advances, and is also at the forefront of many human rights issues re: gay rights, women's rights, etc. Letting the West die off in favor of giving other societies a chance to be on top is idiotic.
Glad we finally agree on something

Old 10-30-2019, 11:19 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I suppose Russia is underpopulated.
Probably because much of Russia (Siberia in particular) isn't most peoples' idea of ideal climate or landscape lol...

Old 11-03-2019, 04:03 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,882,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling
I can't tell myself to become angry or sad if there is no reason to be angry or sad.
What 'reason' is appropriate? Is it appropriate to feel angry because your previous life experiences triggered that emotion? If you were a woman who had been abused by her father, then you may well feel hatred towards all men, so is it "appropriate" to feel that hatred? Is it a life-enhancing feature or does it create problems? Wouldn't it be better for that woman's future to try to resolve those feelings and move on with her life?

You cannot tell yourself to be angry or sad? Why not - actors do it all the time. They have to produce the appearance of rage or produce physical tears at the right time according to the script.

So maybe someone like you are describing is at the mercy of their feelings and cannot control them? Then, there may be anger issues or some other emotional problem because of this lack of control.

People who control their emotions are not all psychopaths or unfeeling monsters. You might describe them all that way, but then you would be generalising and placing them all into the same category.

What I am trying to do is to get you to be responsible for your own feelings and emotions rather than passing them off and denying any involvement in what your brain is feeling. If you see your own emotions as something which are inevitable and unstoppable then they have control of you and you are not in control of them. Thats dangerous for people around you.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:11 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,882,745 times
I think the sooner this Earth shakes off its human fleas, the sooner it will be better and the sooner those remaining humans will get back to a proper relationship with the environment.

I do not understand the need to keep increasing the population as I think it is one aspect of life which never stays static. Over the course of history, sometimes there are more people and sometimes there are fewer.

Many times whole civilisations have disappeared for unknown reasons or have died out for ecological reasons. Thats the way life goes and can be seen in all populations from ants to elephants. Why not humans too? Just because we are more technologically advanced, what gives us the right to avoid this natural population control? I expect a series of Earth changes soon if we do not destroy ourselves first.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think the sooner this Earth shakes off its human fleas, the sooner it will be better and the sooner those remaining humans will get back to a proper relationship with the environment.

I do not understand the need to keep increasing the population as I think it is one aspect of life which never stays static. Over the course of history, sometimes there are more people and sometimes there are fewer.

Many times whole civilisations have disappeared for unknown reasons or have died out for ecological reasons. Thats the way life goes and can be seen in all populations from ants to elephants. Why not humans too? Just because we are more technologically advanced, what gives us the right to avoid this natural population control? I expect a series of Earth changes soon if we do not destroy ourselves first.
Human fleas?
Who decides who is a human flea and who isn't? Obviously you seem to suggest that not all humans should disappear when you say "remaining humans".

Hardly any civilizations disappeared, usually they simply got adopted and adapted by succeeding civilizations.
Be that as it may, humans should not disappear, they are special and without them the planet will simply turn into a savage jungle again.

Again, I am not in favor of increasing the population as you imply. I am in favor keeping it at the current level, except in developing countries where of course they need to stop having so many kids, also in their own interest.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What 'reason' is appropriate? Is it appropriate to feel angry because your previous life experiences triggered that emotion? If you were a woman who had been abused by her father, then you may well feel hatred towards all men, so is it "appropriate" to feel that hatred? Is it a life-enhancing feature or does it create problems? Wouldn't it be better for that woman's future to try to resolve those feelings and move on with her life?

You cannot tell yourself to be angry or sad? Why not - actors do it all the time. They have to produce the appearance of rage or produce physical tears at the right time according to the script.

So maybe someone like you are describing is at the mercy of their feelings and cannot control them? Then, there may be anger issues or some other emotional problem because of this lack of control.

People who control their emotions are not all psychopaths or unfeeling monsters. You might describe them all that way, but then you would be generalising and placing them all into the same category.

What I am trying to do is to get you to be responsible for your own feelings and emotions rather than passing them off and denying any involvement in what your brain is feeling. If you see your own emotions as something which are inevitable and unstoppable then they have control of you and you are not in control of them. Thats dangerous for people around you.
Your arguments are so absurd.
I am not an actor. Actors usually fake their emotions, and in those rare cases where actors indeed cry, they have their tricks. They do have a reason, for instance they think of a loved one that died.
But really, I would never date an actress, I don't trust people who fake emotions.

We are talking about two different things. Having feelings and controlling them.
Someone who undergoes anger management therapy continues to be angry when it is natural to be angry, but they learn how to keep their symptoms and reactions under control.
They do not learn not to be angry when someone hits them in the face or whatever. They merely learn not to beat the **** out of that person

To get back to the topic, not only do I not have a reason to have a negative view of humans the way you do, I don't see a reason to even try and coax myself into believing I should have a negative view of humans. I like humans, at the end of the day, they are the only species on Earth that matters to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies