Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 11:25 AM

17,040 posts, read 12,661,634 times

Advertisements

I cannot stand Trump but I DO NOT cheer the plane I am riding in to crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 11:37 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,797,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
When Joe Sixpack turns on his tv everyday he is bombarded with stories about how the economy is about to collapse.

I’ve got to be honest here, even as a Trump supporter, the constant lies from the media are so pervasive and persistent that they eventually cause you to start almost believing them. Manipulation is a real thing and you have to be determined to not fall victim to it.

Most people are not smart enough or independent enough to not fall for it.

Then, they stop buying goods and services out of fear.

Guess what happens next?
This ^^^ is like the guy who goes to the doctor and says he gets a terrible headache every time he bashes himself in the head with a hammer.

If you don't want to listen to bad news, than quit watching it!! That is what the media does and always has done. Bad news sells papers. It is not the left's fault that people are too dumb to not bash themselves in the head with a hammer. Sheesh.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:39 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,687,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Business cycle.
10 year expansion since 2009. Time for a slowdown.
That’s such a BS excuse. Show me one reputable economist that believes your 10 year cycle theory?

Old 10-18-2019, 11:53 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,314,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
If this is the greatest economy ever, then......

Why is the real estate market struggling?

I look forward to your answers/falsehoods/excuses.
can you tell me how you came to this conclusion before I answer it in opposition?

Old 10-18-2019, 12:45 PM

19,384 posts, read 6,548,070 times
Who is Trump's "base"? People who always vote Republican (about 30% - and similar to the 30% who always vote Democrat) or people who will vote for Trump because the Democratic front-runners are all worse?

Old 10-18-2019, 01:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,418,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I cannot stand Trump but I DO NOT cheer the plane I am riding in to crash.
What do you mean in regards to the plane?

Old 10-18-2019, 01:12 PM

5,814 posts, read 2,695,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
What do you mean in regards to the plane?
The plane is the country.

Trump could cure cancer and people would be screaming they have a right to die from it and they want their cancer back.

I disliked Obama but I wasn't rooting for him to fail, let alone dedicating my life to having him removed from office.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:13 PM

5,814 posts, read 2,695,021 times
Quote:
When Joe Sixpack turns on his tv everyday he is bombarded with stories about how the economy is about to collapse.

I’ve got to be honest here, even as a Trump supporter, the constant lies from the media are so pervasive and persistent that they eventually cause you to start almost believing them. Manipulation is a real thing and you have to be determined to not fall victim to it.

Guess what happens next?
Very well said and I agree 100%.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:23 PM

17,040 posts, read 12,661,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
The plane is the country.

Trump could cure cancer and people would be screaming they have a right to die from it and they want their cancer back.

I disliked Obama but I wasn't rooting for him to fail, let alone dedicating my life to having him removed from office.
See! He gets it.

Cant stand Trump. I like being employed. Slowdowns interfere with the employment part and I care about that more.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:03 PM

856 posts, read 708,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Business cycle.
10 year expansion since 2009. Time for a slowdown.
But didn't you hear that this is the greatest economy ever? Donald Trump told me so, he always tells the truth, he never lies and knows everything about economics because he's the best businessman ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The 2018 Blue Wave is very costly. Nancy crashed the world economy last time she was Speaker, these little trifling problems are manageable.
This is the slowest economic recovery in modern history, a recovery that has occurred during both Republican and Democratic Congresses and administrations.

Nancy Pelosi passing a budget that increases the debt, increases deficits, and increases spending beyond the budget caps put in place in 2011 is not good for the economy. But the budget only became law because Trump signed it.

Quote:

Guess what happens next?
Joe Sixpack doesn't have to turn on his television to know about the economy.

Joe Sixpack knows that for over a decade, his paycheck or paychecks (many are working multiple jobs to make ends meet) has barely increased even as the cost of his health insurance, automobile, and cost of living has.

Now, you blame the media for economic woes. The media started talking about the economy this summer, but the economic recovery has been slow ever since it started in June 2009.

MSNBC, CNN, and the New York Times only touch the surface about the underlying problems with the U.S. economy. They talk about the slowdown in manufacturing and retail, and these are very real challenges. But less attention is focused on the record levels of personal and business debt and how the Fed's monetary policy has created a bubble economy that will eventually result in hyperinflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It's sad that the Democrats seem to want the economy to fail because that may be the only way to tarnish Trump. As long as Trump can tout his economic accomplishments then he will get cheers at the rallies.
What is sad is that some Democrats refuse to acknowledge that the economic problems we have didn't start under Trump, but really started either during the Obama years or prior to them.

That said, I don't know a single Democrat who wants the economy to slow. What is even more sad to me than Democrats being in denial about Obama's lousy economy is Trump supporters being in denial about the lousy economy right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
More recession hope from the anti Trump New Jersey echo chamber.
More like a reality check from someone who is far more conservative than you despite living in New Jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Democrats are so desperate for a recession/depression so they can blame it on Trump. If Hillary was President, they’d be basking in the best economy ever.
I voted for Gary Johnson in part because of Trump's bigoted rhetoric, but also because Trump and Clinton are 90% similar on economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
can you tell me how you came to this conclusion before I answer it in opposition?
Two sources:

1. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...ary-2019-10-17

2. https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesr.../#2b2a54fa2c7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You are not asking the right questions. A good economy does not imply that every single sector is operating positively. You questions may have answers that have nothing to do with the economy.

I guess it would be good to define what makes a good economy - which may be different from person to person.

For me - I look at employment levels, wages with respect to the cost of goods (affordability), how is the middle class doing, the velocity of money flow, and just sensing the mood of the general populace - you can tell when people are getting antsy about their finances.

Right now - my indicators say we are at t good point right now.

I will add that the overall debt levels aren't good - but then if we got ourselves under control, that would slow the velocity of money flow.

It can be tough to grasp every aspect.
You are right, a strong economy overall does not mean that every sector is doing well. I believe GDP has it's limitations in assessing overall economic growth, but I think it does tell part of the story and the Q2 number is pretty bad. The 2% we grew was driven by consumer and government spending. Businesses invested less and we exported less.

By your own indicators, things are not all that great.

1. Employment levels: Both the overall labor participation rate and the labor participation rate amongst those ages 25 to 54 is lower today than it was in November 2007, the month before the Great Recession began
Sources:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNU01300060
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CIVPART

2. Wages with respect to prices: Median consumer prices has outpaced nominal wage growth
Sources:
https://www.epi.org/nominal-wage-tracker/
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEDCPIM158SFRBCLE

3. How the middle class is doing: Losing ground
Source: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...come-families/

4. How people feel about the economy: Consumer confidence is down
Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1W9297
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies