Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 08:07 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,614,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But you buy into Trumps lies and manipulation. Why is that?
What a condescending thing to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 AM

3,321 posts, read 2,356,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I cannot stand Trump but I DO NOT cheer the plane I am riding in to crash.
Only an idiot would. Unfortunately, there's no shortage of idiots. That goes for both sides.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:32 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,008,453 times
Since Obama been claiming this economy is his then it's his recession too !

Old 10-19-2019, 10:32 AM

59,400 posts, read 27,561,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
If this is the greatest economy ever, then......

Why is manufacturing in recession?

Why did Trump give farmers billions of dollars in a bailout larger than Obama's GM bailout?

Why was Q2 GDP growth the weakest since Q4 of 2016?

Why is business investment and factory orders declining?

Why is the real estate market struggling?

Why is retail sales growth slowing?

Why is wage growth stagnant and slowing?

Why is the trade deficit rising as U.S. exports slow?

Why have credit card delinquencies reached a seven year high?

Why does Trump want more monetary stimulus on top of record fiscal stimulus?

Why did Trump sign into law a budget he negotiated with Speaker Pelosi that gives us record debt and larger deficits?

I look forward to your answers/falsehoods/excuses.
You made the claims NOW provide REAL data to back them up.

"Why is the real estate market struggling?"
"
Bursting Bubble Or Booming Market: Real Estate In 2019

Aug. 10, 2019 8:00 AM ET|
45 comments |
Includes: AMZN, FB, GOOG, NFLX, O, OLP, SPY

Jussi Askola
REITs, real estate, research analyst
Marketplace
High Yield Landlord

Summary
97% of real estate investors plan to increase their capital allocation to real estate in the next 18 months.
Why? Real estate remains one of the last asset classes with attractive total return and income generation potential.
Our 7.5%-yielding portfolio of undervalued REITs is well-positioned to thrive in this environment.
Looking for a portfolio of ideas like this one? Members of High Yield Landlord get exclusive access to our model portfolio. Get started today »"

https://seekingalpha.com/article/428...al-estate-2019

"The Biggest Housing Boom In History Has Just Begun - Forbes

https://www.forbes.com › sites › stephenmcbride1 › 2019/10/14 › the-bigg...

5 days ago - During the housing boom, Bill was often “turning around” 14 houses at ... The housing market melted down in 2008, and the average home lost ..."

"Housing Stocks Are Booming

In February, I told my readers why buying homebuilder stocks was a near lock to make you money in 2019. I recommended buying homebuilder NVR Inc. (NVR). If you bought NVR back in February, you’re sitting on a 45% gain. Meanwhile, the S&P 500 is up around 10%, as you can see here:"
In other words, a whole generation of homebuyers will soon flood the market. At a time when there is a massive shortage of homes in America!"

"But with the housing boom showing no signs of slowing, they’re finally getting to work. This past month new home “starts” jumped to their highest level since June 2007. And the number of building permits granted shot up to its highest level since May 2007."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephen.../#3c1a159725b0

Old 10-19-2019, 10:46 AM

5,902 posts, read 3,919,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
More recession hope from the anti Trump New Jersey echo chamber.
The OP has more conservatism in his little pinky than you do in your entire body.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:35 AM

4,526 posts, read 1,881,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But you buy into Trumps lies and manipulation. Why is that?
I have a very well paying job, the company I work for is having another record year in sales. We supply products to industrial and medical device OEMs and their businesses are booming. I have a house worth almost a million dollars in a beautiful coastal city that I can comfortably afford.

My employer is building a factory in Asia outside of China and shifting a significant portion of our raw material supply chain out of China due to tariffs. I have seen firsthand that manufacturing is fleeing China and the tariffs are working.

We struggle to find hourly workers for our US factory and are paying them far better than ever before.

I have a wonderful, stable, comfortable life and no longer have to deal with a racist president that condemns me for it. Furthermore, democrat policy and the decisions made by democrat appointed judges has directly made negative impacts on my life in the form of taxation and handling of the local vagrant street zombie population.

The Trump economy makes my life great. Democrat policy detracts from it.

And oh by the way, all the Democrat candidates hate white males and the rich.

Who would you expect me to side with?

Old 10-19-2019, 11:39 AM

34,297 posts, read 18,677,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
The OP has more conservatism in his little pinky than you do in your entire body.

First I am more libertarian than conservative, so......

Also, as a businessman, I monitor these things and see little to no evidence of most of what the OP asserts.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:56 AM

856 posts, read 707,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
The bailout, increased costs of goods, etc...

Is the media’s fault??

God...
This seems to be the central argument of Trump and his supporters. Their argument is that everything is great and that any pessimism of economic conditions is a creation of Democrats and the media. The data tells us the truth, and people know the U.S. economy isn't doing all that well. People know it because their paychecks are not increasing fast enough to keep pace with increases in the cost of health insurance, automobiles, groceries, and higher education.

Think about this for a moment.

In 1985, the cost of a new Honda Accord was around $9,000. Today, it's around $24,000.

In 1985, real median household income in the U.S. was around $53,000. Today, it's roughly $63,000.

So in 34 years, the cost to buy a mid size family sedan has gone up by 90%, but real median household income has only increased by 19%.

I went back to the 1980s, but let's make this even more recent.

Donald Trump won the 2016 election in part because people are tired of stagnant wages and rising prices.

Real median household income grew by 1.6% between 2016 and last year. The total consumer price index increased by over 4.5% in that same time period. That's faster than the 1.4% increase between 2014 and 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Something crazy with the real estate/housing market around my area, not many people buying houses right now, but at the same time, we have like 500K 'custom home builders',all of which are busy as can be, throwing up new subdivisions left and right!! Maybe they need to step back, start having their crews work 3 day work weeks instead of 5.

It kind of reminds me of Coke and Pepsi delivery drivers, they come in usually once or twice per week to deliver to our stores, now they are talking about coming MORE...but Ive had to tell the driver the last few times, we DO NOT need half the stuff you deliver...but it always seems like they want to cram as much as possible on us, its like they dont realize we arent selling THAT much of their product!?
I think the construction industry has been completely screwed by the Federal Reserve's manipulating of interest rates. If the market determined interest rates, rates would be low during a downturn and would increase as the economy grew. So the construction industry would be able to borrow money to build homes during a downturn since they themselves would be able to borrow money at low interest, but then they'd be able to sell the homes during a period of expansion when consumers would have more disposable income to be able to afford home ownership.

What we have today is over a decade of low interest rates and people taking on more debt, so the construction industry sees people spending a lot, but the signs aren't there for them to be able to tell what is a good time to build and what is a good time to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I appreciate your comments here and you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
His supporters don't care about anything bad he does and many do not know all of the bad things he does because they don't watch any news that reports it. Which is why he still has close to 90% approval in the Republican party. Some know and don't care espcially the rich who are saving millions or billions on taxes. They don't care about what he does they just like what he says at rallis and how he makes them feel, it's about feeling not actions.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You made the claims NOW provide REAL data to back them up.

"Why is the real estate market struggling?"
"
Bursting Bubble Or Booming Market: Real Estate In 2019

Aug. 10, 2019 8:00 AM ET|
45 comments |
Includes: AMZN, FB, GOOG, NFLX, O, OLP, SPY

Jussi Askola
REITs, real estate, research analyst
Marketplace
High Yield Landlord

Summary
97% of real estate investors plan to increase their capital allocation to real estate in the next 18 months.
Why? Real estate remains one of the last asset classes with attractive total return and income generation potential.
Our 7.5%-yielding portfolio of undervalued REITs is well-positioned to thrive in this environment.
Looking for a portfolio of ideas like this one? Members of High Yield Landlord get exclusive access to our model portfolio. Get started today »"

https://seekingalpha.com/article/428...al-estate-2019

"The Biggest Housing Boom In History Has Just Begun - Forbes

https://www.forbes.com › sites › stephenmcbride1 › 2019/10/14 › the-bigg...

5 days ago - During the housing boom, Bill was often “turning around” 14 houses at ... The housing market melted down in 2008, and the average home lost ..."

"Housing Stocks Are Booming

In February, I told my readers why buying homebuilder stocks was a near lock to make you money in 2019. I recommended buying homebuilder NVR Inc. (NVR). If you bought NVR back in February, you’re sitting on a 45% gain. Meanwhile, the S&P 500 is up around 10%, as you can see here:"
In other words, a whole generation of homebuyers will soon flood the market. At a time when there is a massive shortage of homes in America!"

"But with the housing boom showing no signs of slowing, they’re finally getting to work. This past month new home “starts” jumped to their highest level since June 2007. And the number of building permits granted shot up to its highest level since May 2007."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephen.../#3c1a159725b0
Here you go:

1. Median home sale prices have remained lower than they were in Q4 of 2017
Source: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MSPUS

2. After recovering from the Great Recession, the level of existing home sales has remained stagnant
Source: https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...ing-home-sales

3. Foreign investment in U.S. real estate has decreased
Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisacha.../#5ed890e236a5

4. Building permits are lower today than they were in the 1980s when there was no real estate bubble
Source: https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...ilding-permits

Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 AM

5,902 posts, read 3,919,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
As a businessman, I monitor these things and see little to no evidence of most of what the OP asserts.
That reminds me of 2007 was all of the "expert" businessmen said the economy was sailing and that there would be no recession.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:24 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,687,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I have a very well paying job, the company I work for is having another record year in sales. We supply products to industrial and medical device OEMs and their businesses are booming. I have a house worth almost a million dollars in a beautiful coastal city that I can comfortably afford.

My employer is building a factory in Asia outside of China and shifting a significant portion of our raw material supply chain out of China due to tariffs. I have seen firsthand that manufacturing is fleeing China and the tariffs are working.

We struggle to find hourly workers for our US factory and are paying them far better than ever before.

I have a wonderful, stable, comfortable life and no longer have to deal with a racist president that condemns me for it. Furthermore, democrat policy and the decisions made by democrat appointed judges has directly made negative impacts on my life in the form of taxation and handling of the local vagrant street zombie population.

The Trump economy makes my life great. Democrat policy detracts from it.

And oh by the way, all the Democrat candidates hate white males and the rich.

Who would you expect me to side with?
Yep! So many people are doing well due to the economy (my household, too- income up). It's crazy to think how so many people want to vote against their own interests because Orange Man Bad says mean things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies