Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 08:05 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

This is what the GOP wastes time on! Seriously! I would guess that the Holiday tree is paid for by the tax payers of WI, including atheist, Muslim, Jehovah Witness, Judaism, Hinduism, and all other non-Christian religions.

Hey Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald! Why don't you and your do-nothing, mouth-flapping GOP pay for the tree and all of its fixings and then you can call it whatever you want. Just don't put it up in a public building.

Quote:
A Republican legislator is resurrecting a resolution that would officially declare the evergreen the state Department of Administration places in the state Capitol every year a Christmas tree.
Quote:
Democratic Gov. Tony Evers called the tree a holiday tree Friday, a departure from his predecessor, Republican Scott Walker, who called it a Christmas tree. Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald called Evers' decision to rename the tree "'PC' garbage."
https://lacrossetribune.com/news/sta...af7d71f.html#1

PC garbage is wasting our tax payer dollars and time passing useless legislation as this ^^^ when there are real problems to be addressed such as a record number of farms going bankrupt in that state.

Farm Bureau report: Wisconsin again leads nation in family farm bankruptcies

I am sure those farmers are really happy that the GOP is saving a name for a tree instead of helping them!

Last edited by jojajn; 11-12-2019 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 08:14 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
If the GOP in Wisconsin is so into Christmas-y stuff, how about passing a law mandating that every republican in the state be called a "snowflake?"

Old 11-12-2019, 09:36 AM

I remember when politicians had loftier goals.

Scott Walker’s War On Christmas Freakout Over Holiday Tree Backfires On Twitter

Old 11-12-2019, 09:39 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,874 times
I weep for my home state.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:48 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
WI GOP propose Legislation to mandate calling any evergreen tree in capitol a "'Christmas tree!"

This is weird. More 'power of the mind' stuff from the wackos.

Thoughts and Prayers!

Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
WI GOP propose Legislation to mandate calling any evergreen tree in capitol a "'Christmas tree!"

This is weird. More 'power of the mind' stuff from the wackos.

Thoughts and Prayers!
Yes, I am sure all those farmers going bankrupt in WI and committing suicide at record levels will take comfort calling an evergreen tree at the state capitol a "Christmas Tree!"

Quote:
Wisconsin, which had a record 915 suicides in 2017, may be seeing a surge in suicides and suicidal thoughts among farmers, who are facing some of the worst economic challenges in years, experts say.

Exact numbers of suicides among farmers aren’t available, and authorities say some deaths reported as farm accidents are actually suicides.
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/h...ee368fffe.html

Old 11-12-2019, 11:24 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yes, I am sure all those farmers going bankrupt in WI and committing suicide at record levels will take comfort calling an evergreen tree at the state capitol a "Christmas Tree!"

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/h...ee368fffe.html
As if you give a rats ass about farmers.

And that article is basically bull****.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
As if you give a rats ass about farmers.

And that article is basically bull****.
I care a lot about farmers! More than the WI GOP does, that is for sure!

The GOP majority in Wisconsin voted to fire agriculture secretary for expressing frustration that the WI congress is not helping with the mental health issues that farmers are currently facing in WI. The Secretary was more than experience and qualified.

Quote:
Pfaff, who served as deputy administrator for farm programs in the U.S. Department of Agriculture under former President Barack Obama and most recently was deputy chief of staff for U.S. Rep. Ron Kind, D-La Crosse, drew the ire of some Republicans in July when he criticized the Legislature’s budget committee for failing to release funds for mental health assistance to farmers and their families.
Quote:
The Senate voted 19-14 along party lines to deny Pfaff’s nomination, with all five Republicans who voted in favor of Pfaff in committee changing their votes on Tuesday.
Quote:
A governor’s appointee has not been denied by the Senate since at least 1987.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/midwe...224-story.html

Old 11-12-2019, 07:20 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Unless I am very much mistaken, the only religion that has an evergreen tree as a symbol that celebrates a holiday in December is Christianity.

And, yes, I know that "Christmas Tree" is not in the bible and neither is the word Christmas! I also know that neither Jews, Muslims, Hindus or Buddhist recognize the evergreen tree as anything special for their religions -- or at least I couldn't find anything about those religions when I Googled "Evergreen tree as a symbol for religious holidays". Every link referred to either pagan festivals or Christianity or both. (See link below for a concise history.)

Therefore, I don't see anything wrong with calling such a decorated tree in a state capitol in December a Christmas tree.

https://treesymbolism.com/evergreen-...symbolism.html

Last edited by katharsis; 11-12-2019 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-12-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Unless I am very much mistaken, the only religion that has an evergreen tree as a symbol celebrate a holiday in December is Christianity.

And, yes, I know that "Christmas Tree" is not in the bible and neither is the word Christmas! I also know that neither Jews, Muslims, Hindus or Buddhist recognize the evergreen tree as anything special for their religions -- or at least I couldn't find anything about those religions when I Googled "Evergreen tree as a symbol for religious holidays". Every link referred to either pagan festivals or Christianity or both. (See link below for a concise history.)

Therefore, I don't see anything wrong with calling such a decorated tree in a state capitol in December a Christmas tree.

https://treesymbolism.com/evergreen-...symbolism.html
I don't believe that in the spirit of free speech, a law should be passed mandating a tree be called a "Christmas tree."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies