Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:28 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times

Advertisements

Reporter A: "I mean, like, totally awesome dude!".
Reporter B: "I sooo agree with that, like totally".
Reporter C: "Sweet..."

Is Bush just trying to embarrass us now, or is he really this vocabulary challenged that he speaks like a valley girl now?

Totally Awesome Thread Dude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:54 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,125 times
Thumbs down Bush Says our troops are "an awesome bunch of people"!

As he prepares to veto the new GI Bill, because he claims that giving them better educational benefits will decrease the re-enlistment rate.

Yeah, he really thinks they're awesome...

Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
As he prepares to veto the new GI Bill, because he claims that giving them better educational benefits will decrease the re-enlistment rate.
No, he claims that giving GI Bill educational benefits after one hitch will decrease the re-enlistment rate. And he's right.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No, he claims that giving GI Bill educational benefits after one hitch will decrease the re-enlistment rate. And he's right.
I have to agree with you!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:27 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,182 times
Quote:
But it usta be that way. I had bennies when I got out the first time in 1974. Didn't use them, but I had 'em. When I got out after the second hitch, I used 'em, too. When I retired in 1995, I really never touched anything.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
But it usta be that way. I had bennies when I got out the first time in 1974. Didn't use them, but I had 'em. When I got out after the second hitch, I used 'em, too. When I retired in 1995, I really never touched anything.
Sure. I got bennies in 1968 after 22 months, including 10 in 'Nam as a grunt. That's how I finished up my BA. But that was in the draft era. Those days are long gone.

It's time we brought back the draft, IMHO.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:38 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,182 times
Quote:
Sure. I got bennies in 1968 after 22 months, including 10 in 'Nam as a grunt. That's how I finished up my BA. But that was in the draft era. Those days are long gone.

It's time we brought back the draft, IMHO.
Ah, yes, the draft, a fun time had by all who survived it. My number came up as the first one in my district. Beat it by 3 days by enlisting in the Navy. Wish I'd'a kept those "Greeting" papers, though, just for old times' sake, if nothing else.

But to bring back the draft? At least some of the riff-raff on the streets would learn the true meaning of responsibility. IDK, I'll have to half-way seriously ponder that a while. Thanks for your service, Sir!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Ah, yes, the draft, a fun time had by all who survived it. My number came up as the first one in my district. Beat it by 3 days by enlisting in the Navy. Wish I'd'a kept those "Greeting" papers, though, just for old times' sake, if nothing else.

But to bring back the draft? At least some of the riff-raff on the streets would learn the true meaning of responsibility. IDK, I'll have to half-way seriously ponder that a while. Thanks for your service, Sir!
Thanks to you, too, sailor.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,125 times
Quote:
So, what do you think the reason is that Bush trumpets slogans like "support our troops" out of his mouth while using his hand to veto measures that would do exactly that?

I think it's because he doesn't value them or their service. He sees them as an expendable resource for furthering his agenda. An agenda that little relation to America's national interests.

BTW, I concur with your opinion on the draft. I volunteered back in the day, but wasn't sent off to Vietnam, just by luck. But if the current fiasco involved more of the general population, I think the outrage against it would grow exponentially.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I enlisted in the Navy Reserve, volunteered for 'Nam, survived, and used my GI benefits of about $150 per month for a BS Degree. No aid for tuition, books or housing. I considered it a form of delayed compensation and a damn small one but better than nothing. IIRC we were living on less than $300 per month in those days.

This administration is having a great deal of trouble recruiting folks to go fight an unnecessary war. They do not want a GI Bill that would actually cost money and decrease retention. Paying for an Army is just a cost to be paid for by the oil we steal (or more accurately the profits from oil we control) and like all business they want to cut costs unless the money goes to a supporter like the mercenary companies (Blackwater, Custer Battles et al).

I believe in a universal draft of all citizens, immigrants (legal and illegal) for a minimum of two years of compulsory government service between high school and college. The service may be military or civilian depending on the draftee’s health but not on their wealth. This would not only provide a pool of people for the military but also be a great societal leveler as the kids of the grandees would have to mingle with the kids of the peasants. That would be good for everybody and for the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies