Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2020, 09:00 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Oxford University has revealed plans to “decolonise” its maths and science degrees and will allow students of any subject who have been affected by the Black Lives Matter furore to seek lenient marking.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...rees-c7dkhbtnd

The soft bigotry of low expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 09:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
I tried finding the whole story on a site without a paywall but was unsuccessful.

Considering nothing I read in the first few paragraphs made any sense to any sane person I chalked it up to a victory.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I tried finding the whole story on a site without a paywall but was unsuccessful.

Considering nothing I read in the first few paragraphs made any sense to any sane person I chalked it up to a victory.
Very little makes sense in the current year.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:49 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:

The paywall article makes little sense.

My guess: it's saying that Oxford has finally agreed to the student body's request to have a more racially diverse curriculum. I guess this means more black writers will be included in the reading list in addition to Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde; and I honestly don't see it as a big deal.

Oxford Uni must decolonise its campus and curriculum, say students

Old 06-16-2020, 10:49 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/educ...-a4470421.html

Quote:
Prof Richardson also told the Oxford students’ union that maths and science degrees had secured a grant to “decolonise” curriculums, calling it “an area that is frequently overlooked”.

She said: “Many departments in social sciences have begun work on making their curriculum more inclusive and adding diverse voices to it.
“This includes steps such as integrating race and gender questions into topics, embedding teaching on colonialism and empire into courses, changing reading lists to ensure substantial representation of a diverse range of voices, and ensuring better coverage of issues concerning the global South in syllabuses.”

Old 06-16-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The paywall article makes little sense.

My guess: it's saying that Oxford has finally agreed to the student body's request to have a more racially diverse curriculum. I guess this means more black writers will be included in the reading list in addition to Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde; and I honestly don't see it as a big deal.

Oxford Uni must decolonise its campus and curriculum, say students

You think the math and Science departments are assigning Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde?

Old 06-16-2020, 10:56 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You think the math and Science departments are assigning Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde?
I did not say that, did I?

Old 06-16-2020, 11:23 PM

In an age where math is said to be racist.

Quote:
"On many levels, mathematics itself operates as Whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as White," Gutierrez argued.
Gutierrez also worries that algebra and geometry perpetuate privilege, fretting that "curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/i...math-is-racist

Old 06-17-2020, 12:33 AM

Math and science are problematic, especially math. There's just no way to pretend to be a mathematician. Either you're part of that 0.01% of humanity with a brain that can manipulate the most complex abstractions, or you're not. And there's just no getting around the fact that that 0.01% is heavily male and almost entirely white and Asian.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:34 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:

Basically you can put in a mitigating circumstances form if you have been deeply effected by events and it will be considered, whilst the University will try and expand questions to include other cultures.

Oxford University students affected by George Floyd death can seek special consideration in exams - Evening Standard (London)

They are still going on and on about some tiny statue of Rhodes at a College in Oxford, and it's now reached the realms of stupidity.

If anything the police and courts are now obsessed with hate crime, and no one dare even looked at a BAME person the wrong way, whilst there are equality laws in terms of employment, education, housing, public services etc etc.

As for the police in Great Britain, they are largely unarmed and the only minority shot last year was a terrorist string to stab people to death in London, whilst the UK only averages one black death a year in custody and that's usually down to medical conditions, this is compared to 15 white deaths in custody last year. As for prison, the UK prison population is much smaller as a percentage than the US, and offenders are often given chance after chance before being imprisoned, and a lot of those in prison are in as a result of serious violent and sexual offences rather than petty offences.

As for statues that BLM have listed in the UK, it turns out most of them have nothing to do with slavery and are just nonsense related to the groups far left views rather than anything to do with slavery and black lives.

This whole thing is just pathetic nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies