Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 02:30 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times

Advertisements

This is why I always keep my mouth shut at work in terms of these things and never participate. They may talk big about wanting employees to be 'open' in their thoughts but we all know that's not true.

These people said things that were fair and legitimate, yet they were fired for it. At least Linked In didn't fire their employees that gave pretty much the same legitimate gripes in their version of a company town hall on racism.

Never trust anyone, they are snakes and will knife you in the back.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...100000113.html

Quote:
During a series of Cisco Systems Inc. online all-hands meetings on race in early June, some workers posted comments in message channels that other staff and company management said were demeaning to Black people, exposing racial divisions at the Silicon Valley tech giant and leading to the dismissal of a number of people.

During the first videoconference on June 1, following the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police, Chief Executive Officer Chuck Robbins spoke with Ford Foundation President Darren Walker, who is Black, and Bryan Stevenson, a Black lawyer and author who founded the Equal Justice Initiative, in front of 30,000 employees. The conversations about race continued in subsequent online global staff meetings.

“Black lives don’t matter. All lives matter,” one worker wrote in the comments during one of the virtual all-hands meetings, according to screen shots obtained by Bloomberg. Another said the phrase Black Lives Matter “reinforces racism” because it singles out one ethnic group. “People who complain about racism probably have been a racist somewhere else to people from another race or part of systematic oppression in their own community!” a third worker wrote in the chat section visible for all those online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 02:42 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,396,550 times
This is illegal sex discrimination. I hope the victims find good lawyers and Cisco pays through the nose.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:43 PM

8,361 posts, read 2,982,622 times
If diversity is a strength why do you need a forum for it? If diversity is a strength why does the U.S. spend $8 billion annually on diversity training. A 'strength" should take care of itself. Why does it need all this help? :-)

Old 07-17-2020, 02:46 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,037,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
If diversity is a strength why do you need a forum for it? If diversity is a strength why does the U.S. spend $8 billion annually on diversity training. A 'strength" should take care of itself. Why does it need all this help? :-)
Whites are the minority at Cisco: mostly run by brilliant East and South Asians who contribute more taxes per capita than than average. The IT industry in the U.S is now heavily dependent on them.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:29 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,649,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Whites are the minority at Cisco: mostly run by brilliant East and South Asians who contribute more taxes per capita than than average. The IT industry in the U.S is now heavily dependent on them.
I am a software tester familiar with the ethnic demographic spectrum on typical IT projects. The software developers tend to be comprised of many IT workers from South or East Asia. In college, great math scores and prestigious STEM aptitudes have been well-noted for those countries.

But I know the weakness - technical writing. A first generation foreign worker will likely struggle with technical writing. Exposure to English as a 2nd language may be limited. The key to learning English as a 2nd language is early childhood exposure. Unfortunately, such opportunities are impeded when living far out of the USA in South or East Asia(generally speaking). By contrast, a 2nd generation child of a foreign worker (the American-born child of the South or East Asian worker) usually speaks excellent English and is often bilingual. I have also seen the same pattern with French or German engineers who struggle in English but excel in math. They weren't exposed to mainstream English rigorously in early childhood. Children have more myelinated neurons before age 5 such that they can learn to be bilingual proficiently. By contrast, those who learn it at a much later age struggle in technical writing - which is often the case with foreign IT engineers. None of this is "racist" - it's just a matter of degree of exposure to English in the environment in early childhood. The key word is "environment" not "genetics". As for me, I am Native American and learned English as a second language. But I was born and raised in AZ such that I was exposed to mainstream English early. The best way to speak English in America is with an Al Pacino accent - lol. When I lived in South FL there were many excellent bilingual speakers who were born in Miami and exposed to American English early. They spoke fluent English and Spanish. They had retained the bilingual skills by knowing the language of their parents from Cuba, Brazil, Columbia, etc. I literally watched bilingual, Cuban-American engineers in Miami, FL fix badly written requirements from foreign engineers who had been an "offshore" resource in South Asia. Miami has excellent bilingual speakers. To be fair, there are exceptions in "offshore technical writing".

With poor technical writing comes poor requirements - the root cause of many production failures. For example, I have been working a lot with API REST endpoints lately to do test automation. A lot of proper documentation is usually missing or poorly defined. Badly written requirements can break a project - and that is common. Many developers miss their deadlines. Oftentimes, in REST API the optional versus required fields are unspecified. Header parameters may be undefined. Through trial-and-error, a developer or tester has to figure out what is actually required. That type of thing happens a lot in software testing - missing ETL specifications. A badly written requirements document is like a "computer worm" that gradually corrupts data over time. The 1995 film "Hackers" had a scene with a computer worm functioning to steal money from a company. But a "computer worm" can also be exemplified by badly written ETL specifications corrupting slowly moving attributes over time and wasting money for the company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcAACOrgVKE

A good analogy for great developers with poor technical writing is a college football team that has an excellent high-scoring offense but a poor defense - especially in the red zone. As a Florida Gator fan, I know the SEC would point to the Big 12 on that one - lol.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:30 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,319,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This is why I always keep my mouth shut at work in terms of these things and never participate. They may talk big about wanting employees to be 'open' in their thoughts but we all know that's not true.

These people said things that were fair and legitimate, yet they were fired for it. At least Linked In didn't fire their employees that gave pretty much the same legitimate gripes in their version of a company town hall on racism.

Gutless corporate leadership 101, on display.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:35 AM

59,274 posts, read 27,446,336 times
Quote:

"were demeaning to Black people". If we can't say RED skins, why is "black" and "white" people allowed?

We CAN'T say "colored' people but the NAACP STILL does. The National Association for the Advancement of COLORED people! Where is the outrage over this? Hypocrites to the core.

If this keeps going, we will not be able to say ANYTHING!

Old 07-19-2020, 05:41 AM

59,274 posts, read 27,446,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
"Whites are the minority at Cisco"

"Their percentages break down as such: 53% White,"

https://sites.psu.edu/pasternakcivic...sity-at-cisco/

Old 07-19-2020, 05:48 AM

10,004 posts, read 5,713,176 times
Quote:
This is why I always keep my mouth shut at work in terms of these things and never participate.
Well guess what, we can't afford to do that any more. We've been keeping our heads down and our mouths shut for too long, and now the deconstructionist totalitarians have secreted themselves into all of our major institutions because nobody pushed back. It's time to start pushing back -- it's PAST time to start pushing back but better late than never -- or it won't be long before there's nothing left worth pushing back for.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:53 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,523,576 times
Black Lives Matter is a racist slogan, since it excludes other races and elevates the lives of black people to being more important than the lives of non-blacks. Thus, people are now being fired for refusing to be racist.

All lives matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies