Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 09:43 PM

713 posts, read 1,866,152 times

Advertisements

Recently our tax dollars were used to bail out Bear Stearns. Did politicians of either party utter a peep in protest of this blatent example of "corporate welfare"?

Neither party is fiscally-responsible, because they don't have to be. Now that we are off the gold standard, the government can always just print more money, which skrews anyone with assets stored in the form of U.S. dollars. It's basically a "hidden tax."

This arrangement also benefits Wall Street, since people are understandably afraid to let dollars devalue in a bank account. So people are forced to "invest" it on Wall Street, where those investments are subject to all sorts of "fees", regardless of whether one makes or loses money. Then there's the "capital gains" tax, which benefits the government.

When it comes to the capital gains tax, here's the real "beauty" of the racket: Let's say I invest in gold to hedge against inflation. And lets say inflation does in fact occur...i.e. the price of gold in U.S. dollars increases, but the price of gold remains flat relative to most other currencies. From my perspective, I haven't gained anything, I have simply hedged against inflation. However, from the government's perspective, the value of my portfolio "increased", since it is now worth "more" (in dollars) than it was before. So, I am subject to the "capital gains" tax, even though I haven't really "gained" anything! The government gets to tax me even though I haven't made any money. What a deal!

If I were to print additional currency for my benefit, it would be called "counterfieting," and I would go to jail if caught. But if the Fed prints additional currency, and gives the money to private banks, that's ok. MOD CUT

The only politician objecting to any of this is Ron Paul. He has long advocated abolishing the federal reserve and returning to a standard based on gold, silver, or some other commodity that is naturally scarce.

There's so much demagoguery out there between Democrats (who distrust Big Business) and Republicans (who distrust Big Government), that we don't see what is becoming more and more obvious: Big Government and Big Business (or at least Big Finance/Big Banking) are in cahoots with each other, and the average American and the average small business owner gets the shaft. Private banks have made risky and irresponsible business arrangments which have bankrupted themselves and ordinary investors and mortgage-holders. Why is it that the private banks get a bailout when they make bad decisions and risky investments?

I don't think my tax dollars should be used to bail-out anyone (whether it be a business or individual) who made risky decisions or bad investments. But I find it particularly appalling when my tax dollars are used as "corporate welfare" for the very people who create so many financial messes in the first place. And did we hear any objections to any of this from either political party? Nary a peep.

Both parties have been for "free trade" and unrestricted immigration. In other words, the actions of both parties have benefited those with a vested interest in flooding the market with cheap labor. Big Business wins. Also, unrestricted immigration means more people dependent on welfare and social programs, which increases the power of government. Ultimately, it's the middle class that gets the shaft. The middle class gets skrewed by both the ruling elite and the parasite class living on the government dole.

It seems to me we're headed for an America where there are only two classes: the very rich and very poor. Much of California is already this way. Because of the extreme cost of living, only the very rich can afford to have a first-world standard of living there. Then there are the vast numbers of immigrants and poor who have little choice but to depend on the state's government largesse for their basic needs. The middle class is fleeing the state in droves. Having lived in CA for only 3 months before leaving in disgust, I really hope CA isn't the model for America's future.

Last edited by NewToCA; 05-02-2008 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:39 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Neither of the 2 political parties have the best interest of our country at heart. I believe the founding fathers are rolling over in their graves to see what has been happening to our great country and the criminals that are at the helm.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:48 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Yes, but people still continue to lie and say if only their party was in power all will be well...

Even when faced with the evidence of this being a lie.

Most seem to be more faithful to their party than to the nation.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Most seem to be more faithful to their party than to the nation.
I agree. And even more, they seem to be more faithful to the lobbyist who buy their votes than they are to the country. I think if we had any idea of what is really going on behind the scenes we would be frightened to death. That is, if we actually took the time from watching American Idol to think about it. I agree that our founding fathers would turn over in their graves if they knew how we had squandered our precious country and freedom. Until we quit putting our heads in the sand, quit letting these politicians play us with their carefully crafted buzz words, and come together to demand our country back nothing will get better. We will wake up one morning and realize that our freedom has been sold right from under us.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I recommend reading "BAD MONEY" by Kevin Phillips. He describes the collusion between Big Money, Big Government and Big Church in great detail. It is also a very scary book if you have any assets, in money, real estate or metal, whatsoever.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:25 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Excelent post, it is good to know at least a few of the sheeple get it! Keep on speaking the truth.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 AM

713 posts, read 1,866,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
That is, if we actually took the time from watching American Idol to think about it.
Amen to that. I try to talk to members of my family about real issues that actually matter, and they don't want to hear it...they'd rather watch "reality" tv...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies