Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 07:09 AM

1,231 posts, read 451,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelinnen View Post
It's a casedemic now, positivity rate is slightly up, but my god they are testing 1,000,000/day at this point. It's mind blowing that anyone is still concerned about covid 19.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states
Umm because most people don't want to die and there are near 1000 deaths per day now?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 07:10 AM

18,572 posts, read 7,438,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
What President Trump is doing is claiming it in the sunny in the midst of a Category 5 Hurricane.

Is he serious? Trump's behavior has gotten increasingly strange. His speeches are not even based in reality.

The truth is the cases the are skyrocketing. Each and every day, I look at the states numbers and they have skyrocketed in the Midwest and Inter-Mountain West.

https://rt.live/

Transmission rates are skyrocketing. Increasing rapidly in 40 out of 50 states.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/art...et/ar-BB1a4CiU
Anyone talking about "cases" is trying to mislead people.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:11 AM

1,231 posts, read 451,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs12 View Post
Because im not a puppet who just believes and follows orders.....
So just bury your head in the sand and ignore reality but most people like to be alive.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:15 AM

18,572 posts, read 7,438,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Just because you say it, doesn't make it true.

Unless you completely dismiss science, which shows that cases are up by 30% in 36 states.
LOL!!! There is no "science" involved in deciding the number of cases. It's arbitrary.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:43 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,911,750 times
Whooaaa such one dimensional thinking and drama. Both sides are right...and wrong...again.

Directly from WIKi TODAY:

USA Deaths last 15 days: 634 per day. Last 15 days of September: 734 per day. Clearly a decrease.
USA Confirmed cases last 15 days: 44712. Last 15 days of September: 41189. Clear an increase.
So - that's a 10% INCREASE in cases (not 30%) - but a 14% DECREASE in deaths.

How can this be?

1. Confirmed cases not the same as actual cases. Cases can go down, while confirmed cases go up, and vice-versa. It's a huge - huge - margin of error. This has never changed, not since March, and is not reliable - ever. Anyone that uses the "confirmed tests" as something very meaningful is NOT denying science - but is discarding it entirely. There is - quite literally - no way to know how many people are sick right now.

2. Treatments are better now. Same amount of sick people will result in fewer dead people.

So - knowing what I just told you (deaths are down - ya wanna go back to the first 15 days of September? That's 722 deaths per day...with just 34,000 cases. 17% fewer cases. Same deaths (roughly.)

Same deaths first week of Sept as second week of Oct. - but more cases in Oct - so things must be worse.

No. Things are better. Why? Because if it IS more cases for real - then the treatments to avoid death are improved. And if it's NOT more cases for real - then, well, it's not. So either way - these last 3 weeks are better than 6 weeks ago, and better than 9 weeks ago - and it doesn't matter how you count it. In NO CASE can you say "skyrocketing."

Also worth mentioning that deaths reported TODAY may have happened sometime ago. To be fair - there are deaths that happened TODAY that are NOT counted yet. So let's just let that come out in the wash. Dead is dead.

I'm willing to change my opinion if you show convincing data - are you?

Old 10-16-2020, 12:47 PM

5,205 posts, read 4,697,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Whooaaa such one dimensional thinking and drama. Both sides are right...and wrong...again.

USA Deaths last 15 days: 634 per day. Last 15 days of September: 734 per day. Clearly a decrease.
USA Confirmed cases last 15 days: 44712. Last 15 days of September: 41189. Clear an increase.

How can this be?

1. Confirmed cases not the same as actual cases. Cases can go down, while confirmed cases go up, and vice-versa. It's a huge - huge - margin of error. This has never changed, not since March, and is not reliable - ever. Anyone that uses the "confirmed tests" as something very meaningful is NOT denying science - but is discarding it entirely. There is - quite literally - no way to know how many people are sick right now.

2. Treatments are better now. Same amount of sick people will result in fewer dead people.

So - knowing what I just told you (deaths are down - ya wanna go back to the first 15 days of September? That's 722 deaths per day...with just 34,000 cases. 17% fewer cases. Same deaths (roughly.)

Same deaths first week of Sept as second week of Oct. - but more cases in Oct - so things must be worse.

No. Things are better. Why? Because if it IS more cases for real - then the treatments to avoid death are improved. And if it's NOT more cases for real - then, well, it's not. So either way - these last 3 weeks are better than 6 weeks ago, and better than 9 weeks ago - and it doesn't matter how you count it. In NO CASE can you say "skyrocketing."

Also worth mentioning that deaths reported TODAY may have happened sometime ago. To be fair - there are deaths that happened TODAY that are NOT counted yet. So let's just let that come out in the wash. Dead is dead.

So which part of "Trump's plan" is leading to lower number of deaths but higher number of cases?

Old 10-16-2020, 01:00 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,911,750 times
Excellent question.

I have no idea. But the theory of "more tests leads to more cases" fits the bill. Deaths will gradually decrease, following the pattern of, well, everywhere, worldwide.

Cases will decrease as well, perhaps not as rapid as deaths, owing to better treatments.

Mitigation measures (distance/masks/work at home/whatever...) play a role in lowering things. As more folks in any local area get infected, it's harder to find a willing victim - areas bloom - peak - decline - a pattern we've seen, again, well, everywhere.

So - when I put it that way - I'd say nothing he did made a difference - EITHER WAY. It was always going to be awful, and it was always going to gradually fade away - we're just arguing over which tricks will change the rate.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:13 PM

23,366 posts, read 29,245,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My crystal ball continues to show a win for Trump- likely due to mail in ballots. Wouldn’t that be a kicker.
When I look into the holes of my bowling ball, I see a loss for Trump. What I also saw, looking into those holes, is an upcoming episode where he really screws up by telling the truth, for once. That would flat out kill his chances of being re-elected.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:56 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,741,969 times
Quote:
Yeah - it's hardly skyrocketing. Use a different word.

Like - "More today than yesterday, but overall down from a month ago, and a general downward trend."

"Skyrocketing" is the amount of hyperbole attached to minor statistical fluctuations in COVID.
Ha, ICU beds were NOT running short a month ago in some states. They are now. My local hospital's ICUs have been full some days this week.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:00 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,741,969 times
Quote:

How can this be?

You forgot something crucial. We're not near the end of winter and the flu season. Winter has hardly started yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies