Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 03:18 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,177,211 times

Advertisements

I was cleaning up under some of my stuffed animals and found a stray 9mm round. That's not quite gold but at the cost of 1.5-2.5 a buck a round.......it is getting up there.

I am hoping this time for ammo shortages is temporary for it does seem we hit the big whammies all at once with the "Standard" buying of an election year, then civil unrest increasing gun buying by a few magnitudes, a pandemic shutting down the singularly MAJOR source of gun powder in the world, and then all the new buyers not realizing what ammo SHOULD cost..............

...................but what if, HEAVEN FORBID, it isn't? Does it start with ammo and guns and move into other things that we use to consider "a dime a dozen" (if, relatively speaking)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 03:22 PM

37,538 posts, read 19,403,173 times
Fifty years ago I bought all the surplus 9mm I wanted to shoot at less than three cents a round. I wish now I had bought a few cases and set it aside. You guys are getting screwed to the wall if you aren't rolling your own.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:22 PM

16,093 posts, read 6,435,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I was cleaning up under some of my stuffed animals and found a stray 9mm round. That's not quite gold but at the cost of 1.5-2.5 a buck a round.......it is getting up there.

I am hoping this time for ammo shortages is temporary for it does seem we hit the big whammies all at once with the "Standard" buying of an election year, then civil unrest increasing gun buying by a few magnitudes, a pandemic shutting down the singularly MAJOR source of gun powder in the world, and then all the new buyers not realizing what ammo SHOULD cost..............

...................but what if, HEAVEN FORBID, it isn't? Does it start with ammo and guns and move into other things that we use to consider "a dime a dozen" (if, relatively speaking)?
Is this a thing?

Old 10-17-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Is this a thing?
I'm like that.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...d-animals.html

is only a small sample of friends, one location of them in the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Fifty years ago I bought all the surplus 9mm I wanted to shoot at less than three cents a round. I wish now I had bought a few cases and set it aside. You guys are getting screwed to the wall if you aren't rolling your own.
Well, even "rolling your own" is rather a situation of "getting screwed to the wall" for the prices and shortages involved there.

We can probably sum all that up under "arms" with what is like gold in that category.

So.....what's next?

Old 10-17-2020, 03:46 PM

16,093 posts, read 6,435,205 times
Ammunition being expensive isn't anything new. When a couple of hours at the range started costing 200.00 my husband pretty much stopped going but continued to buy some here and there. If you are planning on using the ammunition to hunt or protect yourself I don't think you need that many do you?

Old 10-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Ammunition being expensive isn't anything new. When a couple of hours at the range started costing 200.00 my husband pretty much stopped going but continued to buy some here and there. If you are planning on using the ammunition to hunt or protect yourself I don't think you need that many do you?
Marksmanship is a very perishable skill. I can be legally judged to be reckless if it came up in court and it was found that I only fired once every 4 years at qualification time. Say qualification requires 50 rounds (I don't know, I haven't checked because my line of thought is to always be perfect)........do I really only need 50 rounds every 4 years?

Old 10-17-2020, 04:18 PM

5,480 posts, read 2,139,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Marksmanship is a very perishable skill. I can be legally judged to be reckless if it came up in court and it was found that I only fired once every 4 years at qualification time. Say qualification requires 50 rounds (I don't know, I haven't checked because my line of thought is to always be perfect)........do I really only need 50 rounds every 4 years?
Maybe for some...I have gone about seven years once without shooting and within 10 rounds was back to hitting a quarter sized target consistently from 7 yards with my .45!

Old 10-17-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Maybe for some...I have gone about seven years once without shooting and within 10 rounds was back to hitting a quarter sized target consistently from 7 yards with my .45!
Seven yards is not much, neither to shoot at......or to stop someone heading at you with a knife.

I train to engage at 15, 25, 35 yards.....sometimes 50. When I haven't been shooting for a while, it is at 15 and 25 more than the other two.

FURTHER, I am training over several different pistols (2 .45s, 5 9mms, 1 .380, different .22s) in several different firing modes (2 handed strong, 2HW, 1HS, 1HW, those modes in heavy winter gloves, broken finger scenarios, multiple magazine engagements, decock drills, flashlight, others).

So, to be perfect, that takes more than 50 rounds every 4 years, it takes more than 10 rounds when I get back to the range.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:43 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,214,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
does the pointy end go up, or down?

Old 10-17-2020, 05:03 PM

18,006 posts, read 15,699,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I'd gone for about four years until recently My son and I went out and I took my old friend my 1911 out and was sending spent shotgun shells flying at 25 yards right out of the gate.

Two misses low and left a quick adjustment and there I was. Now am I as fast on a competition draw and speed array? No. But plenty fast enough and its accuracy that counts I could still compete at the top of A class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies