Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would giving people the right to form voluntary autonomous zones be a good idea ?
Yes 3 14.29%
No 18 85.71%
Maybe/Other 0 0%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 06:52 PM

17,476 posts, read 9,302,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
By voluntary autonomous zones , I mean geographical areas that would receive similar/essentially the same rights as ( f.ex ) present day Native American reservations ...

I.E. CHAZ like places that would actually have a great degree of political autonomy ...

I personally think it would be a worthwhile experiment because ( IMHO ) far too many people these days are all to eager to get up in each other's faces and could thus use some cooling off , via having their own community where they could do what they wanted without having to be around those they dislike .

Not to mention that I think such measures could eventually lead to a return to broad based support for true and proper coexistence , since many ( if not most ) of those setting up these voluntary autonomous zones would realize that it's much harder to exist outside of mainstream society than within it , and would as a result put aside/ease up on their current grievances .

In short just like the failure of most hippie communes contributed to the end of the tumultuous era of the counterculture , methinks the failure of these sorts of zones would contribute to the end of our current political/social malaise .

Anyways tell me what ya think folks , cause I'm sure as smoke curious .

P.S. I'm only referring to legitimate ( i.e. non criminal ) demographic groups receiving the right to set up these sorts of zones , in other words murderers , rapists , thieves and so forth would most certainly not be included .
IF that is the desire by the Leftists.... just start State secession.
And see how your entire ?State feels about it.

“ NO GO ZONES” occur in Countries like Lebanon, where Hezbollah has taken over.
IF any State wants that, allow the Citizens of that StTe to Choose.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:54 PM

19,279 posts, read 17,158,241 times
Seems a lot of posters believe this does/should exist all ready. I don't know how many posting I've read where they want to keep certain people out of their location/state because they are afraid of the different influences they might bring.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:01 PM

30,694 posts, read 18,319,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
A lot of states and now indian reservations legalize marijuana (and sometimes magic mushrooms) despite the federal government's having them as controlled substances. I wonder if these zones could do the same? Could they legalize meth and heroin if they wanted? I assume not, because the government could technically go after these legal states, they just don't.

What kinds of things do you envision them doing that they can't do already? You mean like have their own police force? They could technically move and start their own community somewhere else... that would take a huge amount of work though. Also the people who own the buildings might not like the idea of having them handed over to these autonomous zones. You would have to have majority consensus, and I bet these protesters are a very small minority, assuming they live in the area they are protesting. Not criticizing just pondering and thinking out loud....
The federal government could easily sue to strike down these laws as they run contrary to federal law, which is supreme to state/tribal law. But the federal government has chosen to not do so.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:32 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,286,403 times
Hell no. Live in the USA or go elsewhere, nobody is keeping anyone prisoner here. There is no upside to autonomous zones.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:34 PM

724 posts, read 505,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The OP seems to be obsessed with this issue, seeing as the exact same topic was already posted by the OP previously.

Would extending the right to form reservations to all legitimate demographic groups be a good idea ?

More like I'm obsessed with topics relating to how bring about a new state of calm to this country and I happen to have an out of the box slant regarding it .

Old 10-17-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
A lot of states and now indian reservations legalize marijuana (and sometimes magic mushrooms) despite the federal government's having them as controlled substances. I wonder if these zones could do the same? Could they legalize meth and heroin if they wanted? I assume not, because the government could technically go after these legal states, they just don't.

What kinds of things do you envision them doing that they can't do already? You mean like have their own police force? They could technically move and start their own community somewhere else... that would take a huge amount of work though. Also the people who own the buildings might not like the idea of having them handed over to these autonomous zones. You would have to have majority consensus, and I bet these protesters are a very small minority, assuming they live in the area they are protesting. Not criticizing just pondering and thinking out loud....

Oh I most certainly welcome criticism man , particularly of the constructive sort .

Really I'm kind of reluctant to debate the merits of this proposal in this particular thread , since that could very well result in people being cut out of airing their opinions ( which is why I started up this thread ) , but suffice to say that if Congress was to pass a law explicitly authorizing the creation of such zones then I doubt there would be any disagreement on part of the Feds .

Old 10-17-2020, 07:47 PM

Couple of things I'd like to add to my already stated premise :

1 . This proposal would only work ( IMHO ) if Congress was to pass a law explicitly authorizing it , which is precisely why I personally wouldn't support it being implemented in any other fashion .

2 . These voluntary autonomous zones could enjoy only partial autonomy as well , i.e. an inner city Black American neighborhood that's fed up with the local police department could ( by popular vote ) elect to form their own police force/neighborhood watch group and consequently opt out of that particular municipal service , while retaining others if they so chose .

In short under such an arrangement , a community choosing to retain partial autonomy would no longer pay for the governmental function they chose to opt out of and consequently said service would cease being provided to them .

3 . These hypothetical communities could come about via popular vote , that is the majority of an already existing community ( i.e. a city like Portland ) could vote in favor of creating their own autonomous zone , or it could come about via land purchase in the classic intentional community creation way of ( say ) purchasing a big plot of land in the middle of nowhere and moving on it to set up a compound .

Both methods would quite obviously be peaceful and easy to fit within the already existing legal framework , particularly if Congress were to pass a law authorizing the existence of such communities .

There are naturally a bunch of potential pitfalls of such a proposal , but methinks I'll hand back this thread to the good people of City Data for now again .

Old 10-17-2020, 07:57 PM

17,476 posts, read 9,302,114 times
The Federal Government has no business (to Authority, for that matter) to decide State matters of this sort. The Citizens of the State need to decide on these No Go Zones.

Then take it from there. There is one now in Minneapolis, there was one in Seattle ... it may still be there.Let the Citizens decide and then deal with it as the Citizens of State see fit.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Federal Government has no business (to Authority, for that matter) to decide State matters of this sort. The Citizens of the State need to decide on these No Go Zones.

Then take it from there. There is one now in Minneapolis, there was one in Seattle ... it may still be there.Let the Citizens decide and then deal with it as the Citizens of State see fit.
Wouldn't people run into some sort of legal complication on part of the federal government if they went about this without Congressional sanction though ?

Much like ( as others have suggested ) present day banks being unable to handle the proceeds of legitimate cannabis industry businesses in state that have legalized cannabis , due to currently in force federal statutes concerning cannabis ?

Or is this an entirely different issue ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.