Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 05:22 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/woke...bari-weiss.amp

Quote:
I realize the faddish thing to say these days is that we live in the worst, most broken and backward country in the world and maybe in the history of civilization. It’s utter nonsense.

I have a few basic litmus tests in my own life: Can I wear a tank top in public? Can I walk down the street holding the hand of my partner, a (beautiful) woman, in many places in America without getting a second glance? Can I wear a Jewish star without fear?

I do not take those things for granted. I know very well that in many other places, the answers would be different, and my life wouldn’t be possible at all.

America is imperfect. (Does it even need to be said?) There is bigotry toward Blacks and gays and Jews and immigrants; there is intense polarization; political violence is becoming more regular; elected representatives believe conspiracy theories. All true here as in many other countries being torn apart by the dislocations of the 21st century.

By any measure, we have achieved incredible progress and enjoy extraordinary freedoms. And yet people aren’t acting that way. They are acting, increasingly, like subjects in a totalitarian country.
These people write to me daily. They admit to regularly censoring themselves at work and with friends; succumbing to social pressure to tweet the right hashtag; to parroting slogans they do not believe to protect their livelihoods, like the greengrocer in Václav Havel’s famous essay "The Power of the Powerless."

These people aren’t crazy. They are scared for good reason.

Please take the time to read the whole article. It really does make sense

The woke and the cancel culture, along with the SJWs are pushing the envelope (and BEYOND)

I don't want to live in a climate where neighbors spy on neighbors and children spy on their families. I don't want books burned and movies banned. I don't want to live through the same horrors that my ancestors did in Russia and Germany and the rest of Europe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 05:46 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

The woke and the cancel culture, along with the SJWs are pushing the envelope (and BEYOND)
You know that because someone told you and you believe it.

There are consequences for someone’s actions or statements.
There are empathetic people in the world trying to make a difference.
Get used to it.

If Kaepernick can catch criticism and be barred for his actions, then so can any right winger. It is called taking the consequences of one’s actions, not the BS “Cancel Culture” term. If you attack the Capitol you will face the consequences. If you loot a 7/11 there are consequences. If you kneel on someone’s neck until they die you face the consequences... well maybe not that one. If you refuse to wear a mask on a plane they kick you off. What is so hard to understand? There are no special privileges for right wingers who whimper about canceling.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:59 PM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You know that because someone told you and you believe it.

There are consequences for someone’s actions or statements.
There are empathetic people in the world trying to make a difference.
Get used to it.

If Kaepernick can catch criticism and be barred for his actions, then so can any right winger. It is called taking the consequences of one’s actions, not the BS “Cancel Culture” term. If you attack the Capitol you will face the consequences. If you loot a 7/11 there are consequences. If you kneel on someone’s neck until they die you face the consequences... well maybe not that one. If you refuse to wear a mask on a plane they kick you off. What is so hard to understand? There are no special privileges for right wingers who whimper about canceling.
Kaepernick wasn't barred for his actions. He was a statistically poor QB at the end and NFL insiders said he didn't try much in workouts. Probably because he could make more money doing Nike ads than being a bench warmer and wouldn't have to work out.

So take on a below average QB who wasn't showing heart in workouts to have a media circus? That is subtraction by addition.

https://youtu.be/bDuapa6-YyU

Old 02-01-2021, 07:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/woke...bari-weiss.amp

Please take the time to read the whole article. It really does make sense

I don't want to live in a climate where neighbors spy on neighbors and children spy on their families. I don't want books burned and movies banned. I don't want to live through the same horrors that my ancestors did in Russia and Germany and the rest of Europe
It's uncomfortable to read about someone who is enjoying the hard-fought freedoms that others fought for, in the past, while scoffing at people fighting for other's freedoms. Seems really, shallow and stupid. Does she not respect and admire those who fought for the social acceptance for her to walk down the street holding her female partner's hand? And while she enjoys that freedom, she says geez everyone enough is enough on freedoms for others?

Old 02-01-2021, 07:14 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
From one of the comments:
Quote:
”The problem is that tolerant has changed its meaning. It used to mean ‘I may disagree with you completely, but I will treat you with respect.’ Today, tolerant means―’you must approve of everything I do.’ - Rick Warren
We need to go back to the original meaning.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:26 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Kaepernick wasn't barred for his actions.

Yes, he was, regardless of YouTube clips that try to deny it .

He was a statistically poor QB at the end and NFL insiders said he didn't try much in workouts. Probably because he could make more money doing Nike ads than being a bench warmer and wouldn't have to work out.
There are other poor performing QBs not given the same treatment.
You are claiming that his kneeling had no effect? Are you saying that "Cancel Culture" doesn't exist or that it only applies to right-wingers?

Old 02-01-2021, 09:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Bari Weiss who failed her way up to the NYT, and then eventually quit last year in a politically motivated stunt

Old 02-02-2021, 05:02 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
She was part of the problem until the monster she helped create came for her, too. Now, I’m supposed to listen to her? No thanks.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:00 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Kaepernick wasn't barred for his actions. He was a statistically poor QB at the end and NFL insiders said he didn't try much in workouts. Probably because he could make more money doing Nike ads than being a bench warmer and wouldn't have to work out.

So take on a below average QB who wasn't showing heart in workouts to have a media circus? That is subtraction by addition.

https://youtu.be/bDuapa6-YyU
Workouts?? He only had one since leaving the Niners.
That was the one set up by the NFL to provide cover for several teams that were interested in signing him. Since Kap had refused to sign a waiver and changed the location the morning of the scheduled workout, was when he destroyed any chance of getting back into the NFL. But even at that point, yes he was below average but still better then a few starters and just about every back-up.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:09 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
We need to remove woke teachers and government insiders from their positions if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies